Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steeler DB's can't be lost in space vs Bengals

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06266/724327-66.stm

Saturday, September 23, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If it appears the Steelers' cornerbacks are giving a sizeable cushion to wide receivers, they are. It is the design of their Blitzburgh defense. But that is only supposed to be the case before the pass is thrown.

Still, in the shutout loss Monday night in Jacksonville, the Steelers appeared to give too much room to Jaguars receivers Reggie Williams and Matt Jones and allowed quarterback Byron Leftwich to complete 26 of 39 passes for 260 yards. At one point, coach Bill Cowher yanked cornerback Ike Taylor for a play after he gave up back-to-back completions to a wide-open Jones along the sideline.

The Steelers cannot afford to be so generous with their defensive space tomorrow against the Cincinnati Bengals (2-0), not against quarterback Carson Palmer. Not with a receiving group that includes Chad Johnson, a three-time Pro Bowler, and deep threats Chris Henry and Kelly Washington.

But that is the way their scheme is designed -- keeping the cornerbacks mostly out of press, or bump-and-run, coverage because of the number of fire-zone blitzes employed in Dick LeBeau's defense.

It is a style different than the one used by, say, Jacksonville, which had its cornerbacks bumping and pressing Steelers receivers at the line of scrimmage in its 9-0 shutout victory.

"That's because they got a safety playing two-deep most of the time," said safety Tyrone Carter. "When they're doing that, you can see they got a deep safety back there."

The Steelers, though, rarely play a cover-two defense -- "We're not a cover-two team," said cornerback Deshea Townsend -- because they rely on their cornerbacks to keep the receiver in front of them and not give up the deep pass.

But they also want their corners to play off the line of scrimmage so they won't have their backs turned to the play. That gives them a better view of the field on blitz plays when offenses try to "sneak" players into pass formations.

Because the Steelers rely so much on their fire-zone blitzes, the cornerbacks sometimes have to cover other areas and pick up other receivers.
    I bugs me to no end sometimes when they give too much cushion, especially when the QB throws a quick out or short pass and they end up getting a free 5 yds till we recover and make the tackle. It's important to be on these guys like glue make sure they pay for every single catch they make, or don't make.

Its wierd, sometimes its a huge cushion and other Ike is very physical with the WR, im not worried about the bengals tomorrow, ike has his way with CJ, and rudi wont be able to move.....lets face it WE ARE PISSED OFF AND AT HOME, it should be good.

My Mood
    Addicted
    It bugs the hell out of me too TG. I really hate it when it is like 3rd and 5 and they do that crap.

House of Steel
    I am with you two there on that one. I still to this day don't get why they give any WR a 5 yard cushion, are they sensitive to the touch rule or something?

It drives me crazy to see the DB 10 yards off the receiver! They need to get up on them and stick them at the line to disrupt their timing and to let the blitzers get to the QB, otherwise the QB just dumps to a reciever that is given a free shot at an easy 5 yards! The DB's need to get up thier face and just let them have it! No more of this cushion crap!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The worst one ever about doing that and not recovering was Chad Scott. That man had no closing speed and he'd give a 10 yd cushion to the WR and still not be able to close in and make the tackle before the guy got a first down. I used scream at him all the time on the TV !!!

House of Steel
    Chad Scott was a pussy at covering receivers. I am so glad we dumped his sorry ***. I know what you mean, Matt, I was the same way. I would get bloody mad at him.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I realize the scheme's and design of the zone blitz call for the need to play off the WR's alittle bit to help disguise coverages and such and allow for blitzers, but damn when the WR starts running towards you, don't run away or fall back, stay on his *** !

We've got enough good DB's that we can afford to get up ther and jam them to disrupt that pattern now and then.

As of today, the injury status of our WR corp is

TJ - Probable
    Henry - Probable
    Tab - Out
    Chatman - Doubtful

So you should get our best anyway (CJ, TJ, and Henry)

I also noticed Hines is probable.. What happened to him anyway? And Polamalu is probable as well.. Any word on that as far as his shoulder?

Quote Originally Posted by BengalBrian View Post
    As of today, the injury status of our WR corp is

TJ - Probable
    Henry - Probable
    Tab - Out
    Chatman - Doubtful

So you should get our best anyway (CJ, TJ, and Henry)

I also noticed Hines is probable.. What happened to him anyway? And Polamalu is probable as well.. Any word on that as far as his shoulder?
    Ignore HoS his mouth sometimes runs wild j/k Hines has his nagging hamstring problem that he had during preseason... not sure the extent of it though but it could be he was faking it and doesn't want it to be to obvious he was so he is prolonging the injury to make it look legit :dunnu: that's just my opinion.

As for Troy he started the week as questionable and was upgraded just yesterday, I believe, to Probable, so that is promising! Last week he literaly was playing with one arm.

Thread Information