Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parker due to get some help

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Parker due to get some help

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06266/724326-66.stm

Willie Parker's workload will be cut with Najeh Davenport getting some carries.

By Gerry Dulac
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    It might not be a repeat of last season, when the Steelers used three running backs to rush for 221 yards against the Cincinnati Bengals.

But the Steelers likely will try to use more than just Willie Parker in their 1 p.m. game tomorrow against the Bengals at Heinz Field, and that includes getting some carries for new running back Najeh Davenport.

Davenport, who once rushed for 178 yards in a game against the St. Louis Rams, dressed but did not play the 9-0 loss Monday night in Jacksonville. But Parker has carried on 40 of the team's 44 designed running plays in two games -- 90.9 percent -- a workload the Steelers would not like to continue.

"I just practice hard and let the cards fall where they may," said Davenport, who spent four seasons in Green Bay before he was released by the Packers two weeks ago. "You do the best you can in practice, but you feel like a rookie all over again. It's not the same as doing it in a game."

In a 27-13 victory in Paul Brown Stadium in October, Parker had 18 carries for 131 yards against the Bengals, but Jerome Bettis carried 13 times for 56 yards and Verron Haynes added 35 yards on 11 carries.
    I think Willie needs about 20 carries a game to get into the flow, get some opportunities to feel out the defense and blocking to be able to break some long runs. If Najeh works out for us it'll help keep both of them fresh come December.

Najeh will be a good change of pace and will keep that pathetic dirtbag defense awake for all the horrible things there gonna do to them tommorow.
    Seriously, i always like davenport, actually i liked all the GB RBs and i think having him will be good

My Mood
    Addicted
    I do think we need another back to take some work off Willie. A big change of pace back like Davenport. It keeps the D off balance. Let them chase Willie around for a half then pound the hell out of them in the second half. I'm really curious to see how he does the first few times he gets to carry the ball.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Willie didn't get it done Monday night, he clearly needed assistance but the coaches didn't see it that way, we need someone with speed and bulk, I cannot comment on Davenport as I know nada about him. The coaches will do what they need to do. Cowher has had his back up against the wall before and he will come through.

Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Willie can get it done and he can run inside, but no one can successfully run on those two earthquakes jacksonville calls DTS...its not his fault.

Losing to that Jax Defense is nothing to hang our heads about. Willie cant be blamed for Monday, that being said....you can never have to much depth at RB and I like Najeh. He has the size to move piles, and enough speed to do some damage once he gets into the secondary.
    In a perfect world....Willie gets 20-25 carries a game, Davenport 5-10, Haynes 1-5.
    Here we go Steelers.....Here We Go!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Not many teams run well, especially up the middle against the Jax front line, theyre just too big and strong to have much success in the running game the way we were doing it. Especially since the game was close, and we weren't throwing the ball well, all they had to do was stack the line even more and we were done.

Willie can do it, he showed us that all last year, but we don't want him worn out by the time the post season comes and keeping the Defense off balance and worn out is always a good thing.

I think if the Steelers would have committed to the run a bit more, Willie would have eventually busted one off...it's the nature of the beast when you run a speed back. For those of us old enough to watch Barry Sanders, he was the master...you could stop him on some plays, slow him on others, but if he touched the ball 20-25 times a game, he was GOING to get his yards...

Willie needs some breathers that's for sure and 30 carries a game he won't make it to the playoffs healthy at that pace! I'm hoping Najeh can turn into something special for the Steelers to help take the load off Parker and to really change things up late in the game and wear down the defenders even more. Than bring Parker back in and let him blow by all those front guys sucking wind from a heavy dose of Davenport... That would be my game plan at least

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    So we take some of the workload off of Parker. Davenport gets some carries. Why are letting Staley rot?

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Thread Information