Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin did the right thing sitting Ben today...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    colts-hater

Tomlin did the right thing sitting Ben today...

All of the naysayers have been screaming all week that we should start Ben and get our first string ready. Well I think its a bunch of ****. It's late in the season and San Diego has the third seed locked up ( I know they 'could have lost' to the Raiders HAHA.

We had some injuries in the Ravens game, hopefully nothing serious, but here are the positives.

1. Ben got much needed rest. Ben is having an MVP year but his body has taken an incredible beating. On a rainy cold day like today in Baltimore he would have been smacked at least a few times. Instaed, he's ready TOMORROW to practice if need be. A sore body this late in the season is NOT what Ben needs.

2. Charlie got much needed playing time. Charlie Batch is a very good backup, but, because of our inconsistent play this year, he has had how many snaps against opponents? I read only 5 all season! Today he had an entire game. There is no substitute for that to getting your timing down. I remember one short play where he threw just a little behind Cedric Wilson on a third down play. By having that happen today it might help if he is needed in the playoffs.

2. Hines got some more rest. Face it folks, Hines Ward is getting older in football chronology (he is very physical). A week off will also help him heal and hopefully be sharp against Jacksonville.

3. Troy got to rest. Troy P has really been dinged a lot this year. Again a week off this late in the season will help.

4. Some backup players got a lot of valuable playing time and our coaches, hopefully, found out somethings (Willie Reid is NOT a kickoff return man. PERIOD!). Better to learn that this week than next week.

Im sure after this performance today nobody will pick us next week against the awesome Jaguars. Maybe the Steelers shouldnt even show up next week either since the Jags are so much superior to the Steelers. This Steelers team will be ready and will give it their best shot I believe in front of this home crowd here next Saturday night.

NOW beat the JAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I agree Ben should have sat out today...I never thought for a minute he should play this week...lol I also said the Chargers would win and they did....So I knew playing for the 3rd seed was useless...lol

Agree with Hines getting rest also.....It wouldn't have mattered if Troy played today or not...He hasn't done crap at all this year...lol

I'm just glad they have one more game and I will be watching and rooting my *** off for the team to beat the Jags...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If Ben were not hurt and the team was mostly healthy then Tomlin should have started Ben and the others to atleast get them some reps and keep them in rhythmn but given the circumstances with all the players being hurt it was the right call to sit them for next week.

I was calling for the starters to play this week if they were healthy enough to go but since we were so banged up Tomlin had no choice but to rest them and not risk further injury.

It took the backups 3 1/2 quarters to get in gear but they did start to make plays in the 4th quarter so there were signs of life on the team but it did take too long and was too little too late...

My Mood
    Chatty
    I didn't think Ben or Hines should have played today my point being the Ravens wanted to win this game bad for pride reasons and they are a physcial football team. They were mad because we embarrassed them and the way Hines was blocking that Monday night. They were planning on playing a very physical football game and I hate Suggs because he is always knocking Ben around every game. I think Tomlin did the right thing.

My concern is our Defense...The missed tackles are ridiculous! I don't understand how we went from the #1 Defense in the NFL to a bunch of buffoons! It's acutally quite embarrassing! Kick return team is what it is..horrible and the missed tackles there are awful too. Willie Reid is horrible and hopefully will never be put back in there again.

I just pray that we decide to become a different team in the playoffs, personally i'm nevous about us playing Jacksonville again. Todays game just seems as no one wanted to play and it's making me sick! there needs to be some serious work to be done to get far in the playoffs and unfortunately we have one of the toughest roads to get to SB this year! Jacksonville and then Patriots! NFC has it so good! Ben needed this rest badly so I hope our O line steps up and helps him stay injury free for our playoffs!!
    GO STEELERS!!!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    colts-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    If Ben were not hurt and the team was mostly healthy then Tomlin should have started Ben and the others to atleast get them some reps and keep them in rhythmn but given the circumstances with all the players being hurt it was the right call to sit them for next week.

I was calling for the starters to play this week if they were healthy enough to go but since we were so banged up Tomlin had no choice but to rest them and not risk further injury.

It took the backups 3 1/2 quarters to get in gear but they did start to make plays in the 4th quarter so there were signs of life on the team but it did take too long and was too little too late...
    If anything hopefully that strong 4th quarter we had and the comeback we made will carry over and give us some momentum for the game Saturday night now. The Steelers are going to need to play a lot better then the last meeting with the Jags on all sides of the ball if they are to have any chance of winning this game its real simple. Any sort of flat start or lackluster play in this game Saturday night will lead to things getting very ugly.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You're exactly right, this team needs to do some soul searching right now and get back to playing tough defense because the Jags will maul us again if we don't. If we don't start out fast and get on them early it will be a long day so it would behoove us to strike early and often and make them 1 dimensional. The Jags are a hot team right now and running the ball extremely hard but they are not a quick strike, come from behind team so we need to jump out on them and take them out of their comfort zone.

My Mood
    Mad
    The Steelers need to throw the ball early and often against the Jags......Try to take their running game away...

My Mood
    colts-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    The Steelers need to throw the ball early and often against the Jags......Try to take their running game away...
    Jacksonville is not that much more different than Tennessee. Not that much more different than Cleveland. All three have running backs that can run on us in the snow. All have a pretty good QB. Each has their stable of WR(s) to choose from.

I like having Jacksonville because we won't play them soft and we can't say we don't know what to expect from them. You know they are going to run Taylor a lot and you know that their QB can manage a game. No excuses to not be prepared for this game.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    Jacksonville is not that much more different than Tennessee. Not that much more different than Cleveland. All three have running backs that can run on us in the snow. All have a pretty good QB. Each has their stable of WR(s) to choose from.

I like having Jacksonville because we won't play them soft and we can't say we don't know what to expect from them. You know they are going to run Taylor a lot and you know that their QB can manage a game. No excuses to not be prepared for this game.
    I just don't think this defense can stop their running game right now...Best solution come out throwing the ball...build a lead and try to take their running game away....The Steelers need to strike early and get a double digit lead...Put the Jags in panic mode and maybe Garrard throws some bad balls...lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post

True, but we knew what to expect from them the last time. It's no secret what the Jags do, they've done it better than anyone else this year. They run the ball right at you regardless of who you are and dare you to step up and try to stop them.

The Jags are what we used to be in that way, we used to be a run first offense that smashed you in the mouth and now we are more of a quick strike offense with a running game that gets set up by the pass. It's a different philosophy on offense now from what it used to be. That difference has served us well many times this year so it can work. It works for the Pats and Colts and it can work for us but if our OL doesn't establish the line and open holes for Najeh as well as the defense literally selling out to stop the run at all costs it's going to be a long day.

The Jags are not a quick strike team and they don't do well coming from behind so we need to get up on them early in this game.

If you can't run and stop the run in the postseason you don't go anywhere but home.

Thread Information