All of the naysayers have been screaming all week that we should start Ben and get our first string ready. Well I think its a bunch of ****. It's late in the season and San Diego has the third seed locked up ( I know they 'could have lost' to the Raiders HAHA.
We had some injuries in the Ravens game, hopefully nothing serious, but here are the positives.
1. Ben got much needed rest. Ben is having an MVP year but his body has taken an incredible beating. On a rainy cold day like today in Baltimore he would have been smacked at least a few times. Instaed, he's ready TOMORROW to practice if need be. A sore body this late in the season is NOT what Ben needs.
2. Charlie got much needed playing time. Charlie Batch is a very good backup, but, because of our inconsistent play this year, he has had how many snaps against opponents? I read only 5 all season! Today he had an entire game. There is no substitute for that to getting your timing down. I remember one short play where he threw just a little behind Cedric Wilson on a third down play. By having that happen today it might help if he is needed in the playoffs.
2. Hines got some more rest. Face it folks, Hines Ward is getting older in football chronology (he is very physical). A week off will also help him heal and hopefully be sharp against Jacksonville.
3. Troy got to rest. Troy P has really been dinged a lot this year. Again a week off this late in the season will help.
4. Some backup players got a lot of valuable playing time and our coaches, hopefully, found out somethings (Willie Reid is NOT a kickoff return man. PERIOD!). Better to learn that this week than next week.
Im sure after this performance today nobody will pick us next week against the awesome Jaguars. Maybe the Steelers shouldnt even show up next week either since the Jags are so much superior to the Steelers. This Steelers team will be ready and will give it their best shot I believe in front of this home crowd here next Saturday night.
NOW beat the JAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!