Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inability to stop the run...Tomlin may go more basic on Sunday.

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Inability to stop the run...Tomlin may go more basic on Sunday.

What in God's name has happened to this defense that we cannot stop the run. Hoke was on the locker room show with Wolf tonight and he said they are unaccustomed to being run on and they need to get back to film room and figure out what's going on, etc.

They better do more than that, they need to get back to playing gap sound defense and tackling. Pure and simple, this team just hasn't done those things well at all since the midway point of the season really and it's starting to show at the worst time. If you can't stop the run in the playoffs you might as well forget about making any noise in the postseason.

It's not the scheme, the 34 is built to stop the run and we have the players to do it. We've been doing it for how long now, but this year the team just has not played the way they have before and that falls squarely on them. Teams will scheme to be able to run the ball on us with different blocking and such but we need to be able to adapt and this year we haven't. When the players get blown off the line and holes open up, then they miss tackles that is not the scheme that is execution and that falls squarley on the players.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    You're right this defense is just getting ran over anymore........I just hope the offense is prepared for a shoot out style game against the Jags....Steelers must throw the football to keep up with the Jags running game....lol I don't expect the Steelers to stop the Jags running game at all Sat. night...lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    For a team that prides itself on being run stoppers they just haven't showed up at all in that dept. That puts extra pressure on the DB's and if you can't stop the run that means the pass rush isn't getting there consistently either.

They better prepare to be run on like never before next sunday because they know it's coming. If they don't come out and punch Taylor and Drew in the mouth early and often it will be a long day.

My Mood
    Angry
    Aaron Smith was a HUGE loss in stopping the run and Casey Hampton has had a "Fat Attack" this season and isn't close to being the same player he has been.

My Mood
    panthers-hater
    Kind of look at it like this:

The Steelers are rested as far as most starters. Maybe so are the Jaguars.

The Jaguars beat us in a game that we were already kind of in reserve players mode, since we had to play the Rams on that following Thursday on only three days rest.

They come to our homefield, which is where they happened to beat us the last time. Don't think we will be just a little fired up for this game?

It's hard for any team to beat a team for a second time, none-the-less when the two games have been for you on the road.

Our team is hungry after having all this talk about them being done after a miserable season having been one season removed of a Super Bowl.

New coach, who just simply hasn't seemed to show even an inklink of his total strategy yet.

I did notice that the Ravens moved more towards teh center of the line to compensate for Davenport running up the middle, which is what I predicted. Our dump passes did move the normal blitzers away from the Tackles to play prevent for such dump passes, which I predicted.

When you look at those replays from the top view of that very last drive...when we were in teh EZ...........the best stand as for our OL that I have seen in a long time. Batch had like 7-8 seconds on that first play int he EZ. Both Tackles stood up and drove their respective defensive player tot he outside. I haven't seen a more perfect pocket for a Steeler's QB on that play in a long...long time!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It takes a consistent effort though man, that's the bad thing about this team. You can't just show up and turn it on whenever you feel like it. That's what separates us from the elite teams in the league. You have to be up for every game, every week, regardless and we cannot do that right now. Looking back at this season you can see that we just decide to not show up until the 4th quarter and then try and turn it on at the last minute whenever there isn't something that would appear to be on the line and even when there is we still can't close the deal.

We should have had this division locked up 2 or 3 weeks ago and then this game wouldn't have meant anything but the fact is we decided to not show up and take care of business when we had the chance and now we are the 4th seed when we could have potentially been the 2nd had we done what we are capable of.

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    What in God's name has happened to this defense that we cannot stop the run.

It's not the scheme, the 34 is built to stop the run and we have the players to do it. We've been doing it for how long now, but this year the team just has not played the way they have before and that falls squarely on them.

At first I was of the opinion that we no longer have the talent to execute the 3-4 effectively. I still hold that belief. However, I'm not totally convinced it isn't partially the scheme.

After watching the last 3-4 games, I definitely think there is a problem with our scheme.. That being we claim to be a physical defense. We want guys that run and hit.. We supposedly are a "confusing" defense. Yet we asked our DBs to play a completely passive and soft coverage scheme. We will blitz on 3rd and 8 yet give WRs a 12 yard cushions and a free release off the line.. A simple 3 step drop and pass gives competant teams easy conversions...

Why is it that these QBs with extremely little NFL game experience are coming in and completing key third down passes against us.. That to me means our coverage is far too soft.

Mix in a pussy pass rush and it becomes very clear that our defense has been a pretender all year. Feasting on ****** teams with limited offense.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I still don't think it's the scheme it's the execution of it. It didn't just suddenly stop working after all these decades of it working so well for us. The players are getting blown off the line at the point of attack and the LB's and Secondary are missing tackles. That's all execution and it's up to the players to make it happen.

I do agree though that this soft coverage we seem to play just doesn't work and I cannot figure out why in the hell we don't press these WR's more and jam them at the point of attack. Sitting back 5-10 yds off the line on 3rd and 8 just makes no sense to me whatsoever. If the DBs play their guys and the safeties cover the back end for support it should work in theory and it has for us in the past but for whatever reason everybody is missing tackle's, not getting off blocks and just generally getting blown up.

No matter how you look at it, it's not Steelers defensive football like we are used to seeing and it just sucks !

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Well, regardless if it's scheme or personnel, there is nothing they are going to do to change things this season.. All of this speculation about changing this and changing that is not happening.

We are what we are at this point. Either the players we have step up and EXECUTE better or our season ends next week.

Changing things around at this point is not the fix. All it does is take a mediocre lineman or linebacker off the field on some downs and replace him with another mediocre player.

It is a zero sum gain.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Oddly enough you and I agree

Really though you are exactly right, we are what we are at this point in the season and wholesale changes would do more damage than good. That stuff is saved for the offseason and training camp so it's up to the 11 guys on the field at any given time to show up and play like their season is on the line...because it is.

Thread Information