Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvel undergoes surgery.....Max Starks stepping up

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

Marvel undergoes surgery.....Max Starks stepping up

In a matter relating to the offensive line, starting left tackle Marvel Smith, the Steelers' best pass protector, but a player who has missed three starts this season, underwent Thursday surgery to address a disk problem that has plagued him all season and affected his play. Pittsburgh will wait to make a determination on whether to place Smith on injured reserve. There is a chance, the Steelers believe, that the eight-year veteran and former Pro Bowl performer might be able to return to the lineup if the team advances to the second round of the playoffs. The Steelers' second-round pick in the 2000 draft, Smith has appeared in 106 games, with 103 starts, during his eight seasons with the club. Fourth-year veteran Max Starks, who has replaced Smith in the lineup for the three games that he missed earlier in the year, will take over at left tackle. Starks was a two-year starter at right tackle before losing that job to Willie Colon in training camp.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I would wait to put him on IR if for no other reason than depth. Starks is fine at LT and Colon at RT but after that we have nobody left of any value who can play that position except Essex.

man I wish these guys werent dropping like flys right now...

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    IF this was surgery associated with a disk problem, why on earth would the Steelers say something so outragiously stupid like, "we're hopeful he might be able to return to the lineup if the team advances to the second round of the playoffs" ?

Anything associated with disk surgery takes 8 weeks at best .... There's no way in hell Marvel plays another snap of football this season.

NONE ...

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    IF this was surgery associated with a disk problem, why on earth would the Steelers say something so outragiously stupid like, "we're hopeful he might be able to return to the lineup if the team advances to the second round of the playoffs" ?

Anything associated with disk surgery takes 8 weeks at best .... There's no way in hell Marvel plays another snap of football this season.

NONE ...
    No doubt usually any disk injury takes more then a couple weeks to heal 100 percent...I would be stunned if Marvel played another down of football this year...Its going to take a miracle from Jesus Christ himself for Smith to play again this year...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It might just be exploratory or something to find out the exact cause of what's going on or perhaps some way to just go in there and ease the pain he's been in and then in the offseason he'll have the full surgery

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    It might just be exploratory or something to find out the exact cause of what's going on or perhaps some way to just go in there and ease the pain he's been in and then in the offseason he'll have the full surgery
    I hope so since this team has now OT depth...lol LT and OT in general is such a huge need in the off-season....Plus center and OG....Basically an entire OL.....

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Starks is fine at LT
    never thought youd say that huh?

**** football, i hope he gets better soon, back injuries are no joke.....we'll draft a bulk of the oline this year so im not worried about this in the long run....especially now maybe this will persuade them to go LT if they werent thinking about it already

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    never thought youd say that huh?

**** football, i hope he gets better soon, back injuries are no joke.....we'll draft a bulk of the oline this year so im not worried about this in the long run....especially now maybe this will persuade them to go LT if they werent thinking about it already
    My mom has had multi disk removed from her back...So I know all about back injuries and pain since seeing her battle a bad back for years....So you're right football isn't the most important thing regarding Marvel right now...I hope he gets better soon....Like you said hopefully this team really goes after a LT in the draft this year....

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    I've heard a nasty rumor that Smith's back problems are much worse than what the media is being told about. This cat may not play football again.

Thread Information