Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tribune Review on Arians

Bookmark and Share

Tribune Review on Arians

has anybody read the article on Arians questioning his play calling in the Pats game? for some reason, my computer won't let me go to pittsburghtribunereview.com
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Quote Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
    has anybody read the article on Arians questioning his play calling in the Pats game? for some reason, my computer won't let me go to pittsburghtribunereview.com
    Just tried, won't come up for me either, sorry, other stuff comes up though, strange.
    only took BA two weeks to realize?
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

man, i really want to read what his excuse was!!!!! from the headline, i take it as he admits he screwed up. it's not too late to redeem himself. he just needs to step it up the final two games.

I have heard the same thing from other folks on other MB's...they are all trying to access it too.
    "Commitment to the team - there is no such thing as in-between, you are either in or you're out."-Pat Riley

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_543421.html

By Mike Prisuta
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007

If he had it to do again, Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians would do it differently in New England.
    Faced with third-and-goal at the Patriots' 1 at the outset of the fourth quarter Dec. 9, Arians called for a run with an option to check into a fade pass for wide receiver Santonio Holmes if necessary. The Steelers checked out of their initial play upon observing the Patriots' alignment at the line of scrimmage, and the subsequent pass to Holmes fell incomplete.

On fourth-and-goal from the 1, the Steelers came out in an empty-backfield set and tried a sweep to wide receiver Hines Ward, who was in motion prior to the snap. Ward was stopped for no gain.

"A couple of unusual calls," Arians said Wednesday.

A touchdown would have pulled the Steelers only to within 31-20 in a game they lost, 34-13.
    So it's difficult to perceive the failure to find the end zone in that instance as decisive. But Arians nonetheless regrets his choice of calls.

"I thought we had Hines in on the little reverse we've been working on for 10 weeks," Arians said. "That's the first time it's ever been stopped. It would have worked. We got a little surprised on the way they adjusted and got knocked back. We should have knocked them back and walked in (to the end zone)."

The Patriots moved 89 yards for a field goal on their subsequent possession and assumed a 21-point lead with 7:04 remaining.

"Going back in retrospect, we'd have taken our goal-line offense and gone at it," Arians said. "We got it down there with a shovel pass. I wish we'd have gone back into a power mode at that time, a goal-line package.

"I liked those plays for what they did on the goal line. (The Patriots) had a little unusual goal-line defense. We thought we could get the match-up we wanted. We did, but it was more for from the 3-yard line than the 1-yard line. That's a call that's from the 3."

Arians suspected his second-guessing of himself, such as it was, was a first in his tenure as the Steelers' offensive coordinator.

"Probably," he said. "It's not one I've thought many times about."

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    If it wasn't for Colon being rocked back that play might have worked. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, maybe next time he'll quit tryin to be fancy and run the ball.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thanks for the link...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Top to the rescue!! thanx dude
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    If it wasn't for Colon being rocked back that play might have worked. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, maybe next time he'll quit tryin to be fancy and run the ball.
    Yeah, Im all for mixing things up at the goal line now and then but sometimes you gotta just line up and smash mouth it in.

top gun, you rock for posting that!!! thanks a million!! now let's start stuffin the ball down throats when we get on the goal line!!

Thread Information