Thread: Steelers-Jaguars Postgame Analysis and Grades

Bookmark and Share
    Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar

Steelers-Jaguars Postgame Analysis and Grades

WARNING DISCLAIMER:
    For those experiencing chest pain or have a history of heart condition .... or those who would just rather live in a cave or behind your Steeler sunglasses and hide from the ugly truth rather than deal with it,
    PLEASE DO NOT READ

Sobering my friends .....

by Still Mill
    Monday, Dec 17, 2007
    http://www.stillers.com/index.aspx

Jax 29, Stillers 22

The 9-4 Steelershosted the 9-4 Jags in what amounted to a “statement game”, particularly after the assbeating suffered at the hands of the Pats last week. This was a chance to show the league, and more importantly themselves, exactly what this team was capable of doing in a playoff-like atmosphere, with future home field advantage on the line. It was a statement game all right, with the Stillers making a loud proclamation that stated, “We’re not ready, nor are we remotely interested, in competing at the highest echelons of the National Football League.” Don’t let the final score fool you, as Jax physically dominated, manhandled, and abused the Stillers on both sides of the ball en route to a 29-22 victory.

Read the Report Card Here: http://www.stillers.com/articles/2186.aspx

(Article too long to post)

ya, i read that about an hour ago. he hit the nail on the head. i agree 1000000000000000000%
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

2nd String
    i couldn't of said it better myself, but with the right adjustments an personal moves (hint,hint) we should not only compete next year but go all the way it's not like we have 2 rebuild, just add an few pieces here an there, i know the rooneys r committed 2 winning an i'm glad the fans were booing,the last home game of the year the rooneys will remember that, an i hope they bring n the right personal,players, an schemes we need 2 b great next year!!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    As far as Ben goes, yeah his stats weren't all that impressive but when it counted he did make the TD throws and you can't discount that. Running for your life, getting sacked 5 times and hurried all day long with pressure in your face doesn't make you a bad QB. He did make several errant throws yes and you can't discount those but considering the injury he was playing with he did ok out there. Im not exonerating him from the mistakes but it wasn't quite as bad as he makes it out to be.

Overall his analysisof the defense was pretty much right on unfortunately so it's hard to argue with anything there. As far As Arians goes, I don't think he had that bad of a game, yah he had a few **** poor play calls especially on 4th down at the end of the game with that play to Heath but still overall the breakdown he showed doesn't really reflect Arians so much as it does the offense not doing it's job the way they are supposed to.

It's a sad sight indeed to see a Steeler team get completely man handled that way and at home no less in weather conditions that are supposed to favor the home team, and in a crucial game no less.

Well I think it's safe to say that it doesn't get much worse than what we saw yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post

Well I think it's safe to say that it doesn't get much worse than what we saw yesterday.
    Man, I'm not going there. I said that after last weeks game.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Well you have a point, I didn't think it could get much worse after the Broncos, Jets, or Pats game so maybe I should retract my statement and not jinx us anymore

the thing with arians is that we can expect consistent terrible play calling every week. some weeks are worse than others but his play calling is always bad.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Unfortunately, I think Arians will be on this team longer than Lebeau. I think Uncle Dick is going to pack it in after this year. Something tells me he already knows Tomlin wants to go the 4-3 / Tampa-2 hybrid and Uncle Dick won't fight it. He'll just check out quietly.

Something also tells me Tomlin knows exactly what he wants to be on defense and who he wants to run it.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Tomlin was smart to keep Lebeau around and let him run the defense. We're built for a 34 team and have been for the last 15 years so it made no sense to try and change it now. He said from the get go that wants the defense to be successful and if that means a 34 then that's fine, if it means a 43 then that's fine too. If he wants to run a hybrid then he'll keep Lebeau around more and those 2 will work on schemes this offseason to incorporate more of it for 2008. It's not like we don't run cover 2 at all right now, we have been for years amidst the 34. I can see Tomlin wanting to do more of it though if means making us a better unit and I'm all for that but I don't expect Lebeau or Arians to be going anywhere next year at this point.

Lebeau and Tomlin are learning to work together and I think they can be a great unit. Tomlin doesn't need to be running the defense all by himself when he's got head coaching responsibilities to deal with on top of that. I think he'll have more influence in the defense in the future but I don't see Lebeau leaving the team nor would I want him too.

Thread Information