Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: '08 Blueprint: Building the BEAST!

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    3,057

    '08 Blueprint: Building the BEAST!

    Ok, don't take this the wrong way, by no means am I giving up on this season even though my gut instincts tell me we're not remotely close to being "big dance" material ....

    but I can't help but start thinking about our needs for next year ... the "go forward" blueprint if you will that will start making this Tomlin's team.

    The best news I have for everyone is that we have one of the best quarterbacks in the league- regardless of what anyone else thinks or tells you ........... that is the truth. Ben is a "gamer" and his style is Steeler football ... now get to work on his extension!

    We need a fullback- Davis is a joke, and I'm assuming the FO thinks Kreider doesn't have anything left in the tank (even though he showed he's still 10 times the fullback Davis is).

    We are set at tight end.

    We need to draft a true #2 flanker (WR) who will be groomed to step into Wards job when he checks out in a few years - I'd love to get a quality WR sometime after the third round ....not sure it's going to happen though givin our OL needs. The Nate Washington experiment, seemingly a good idea at the time, is coming to a close... we need a better #3. If Willie Reid doesn't fit the system or is just a flat out "bust" at the pro level .... then we need to cut his stay short as well.

    Offensive Line- Biggest need! 2 of our top 3 picks will be spent on the OL - IMO, we need a mauler at guard. No more of this finesse B.S. We need to upgrade the center and move Mahan over to guard where he is better served. We could also use an upgrade at Tackle. I do hope the FO gives Starks another look even though his pass-pro is substandard against quick/athletic DE's.


    As far as the defense is concerned, let's pray Woodley and Timmons can fulfill their potential- we will need.

    Mcbean needs to develop or Tomlin needs to find some suitable depth in the mid rounds for once on the DL. Eason and Kirsche have no business stepping on the field.

    Ryan Clark, get healthy- we need you for depth.

    And most importantly- Arians needs to be shown the door. Mr. Rooney, please lend him your time share ..... then break the news to him once he's there.

  2. #2
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You touched on a lot of good points and I agree with your assessment for the most part.

    -Given Kreiders injury we might be able to resign him for less money but I don't think he's in the Steelers plans anymore based on our new style offense. I agree Davis is worthless though.

    -Depth at WR is paramount. Cedric is too expensive for his performance on the field, Nate should be the 4th WR at best and what in world happened to Willie Reid???

    -McBean, maybe he'll develop but from what we saw last camp he showed no signs of being anything for us. I like Kirschke, I think he's a good veteran to have around and he's productive in doing his job. Our front 3 on the DL are fine; Hoke I'm ok with too but we do need some fresh blood on the DL and I don't think we're going to find it in the later rounds unless we get real lucky to have someone fall to us so we're going to have to bite the bullet at some point and draft higher, here.

    Ryan Clark, we need him around most definitely. The dude could start at Safety on most teams but I hope we can keep him around because we are lacking big time and playing with fire being so thin at Safety.

    **moved this to the war room forum since we're talking about the future and our needs**

  3. #3
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    18,519
    if we want a fullback, we need a guy like laron mclain that the rats drafted last year...thats vicious blocking at its finest.

    Ben will obviously be resigned and eventually ward will have to restructure his deal. Faneca is gone, Starks will stay i think...i dunno about a spot on the starting lineup, but i think hes quality enough to keep around. We need to draft a center and a tackle....just like a bucs fan told me, mahan at center is like playing with 4 lineman...

    I would like us to make a move for cherilus in the first round this year...we might need to move up, but thats not something were afraid to do...otah is a viable option as well...we need a LT. I like marvel, but he would be godly at RT.

    guard...now this is where it gets interesting. Faneca is gone, and good riddance..weve never been afraid to let the old overpaid guys go, this wont be a bad move. Mahan could possibly play guard, but if it were up to me he would be playing football period. Colon will inevitably move to one of the guard spots, i think he has potential to be a dominate guard, hes shown promise at RT but he is much better suited for OG. Fanecas spot might be perfect for him...and would be so much easier if we get a violently badass LT in the draft. And then simmons is locked up for a few years, but i dont think hes as bad as some beleive....with a dominate RT like smith next to him he could have great success. And there is no center worth taking in the first round unless mangold re-enters.....there will be plenty of badass centers in the 3rd round to at least look at. JUST ONE dominate tackle in this draft could fix all our problems...it will make a monumental difference to get a badass LT....once your sure up that spot you are pretty set, everything kinda falls into place. (see browns with joe thomas)

    Safety is not as bad as we think...smith doesn suck as much as he did yesterday and to think he does is retarded...if we can keep clark we have the best safety depth ever, any of our 4 guys could start and we wouldnt miss a beat.

    I have nothing bad to say about the linebackers...we are very solid, a 4th round MLB would be smart, but no immediate impact is necessary. Haggans will not be comanding alot of $$$ and no one will offer him enough not to make him resign with us for depth at the very least.

    Dline will be a bigger need next year than it is this year...if we could get one guy to step in for smith and keisel once in a while we would be ok. You wont just find a guy like casey, but hes as solid as a rock and the dline is ok for this year....heres a thought just for fun though ...albert haynesworth lol...wow that would be a nasty line.

    Corner....solid if you ask me....Deshea is playing at a high level and mcfadden could be starting if he wasnt....i really like william gay in the future too.

    WR....this will be our second round pick hopefully....lots of quality WRs this year that wont go in the first round but definitely could. One day ward will either have to restructure or walk away because hes making entirely to much money. Holmes is a badass and will eventually take over as #1....and it has shown this year with him being our leading WR and all. i dont want a tall guy....and if you do i hate you, i want a physical guy who cant block, catch, get open, run, and score TDs. Ward will be around, but we need that 3rd guy who can be a badass.

    TE....bueno

    Punter...couldnt be better

    Kicker...i hate reeds kickoffs still

    RB...i like najeh and willie...and getting that LT in the first round is KEY to this being a nasty running game...im not sure if everyone realizes how much one guy on that line will change our team completely

    and field turf is as big a need as anything
    Last edited by K Train; 12-10-2007 at 03:21 PM.

  4. #4
    The Absolute Truth Koopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Kingsville, Texas
    Posts
    9,321
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    if we want a fullback, we need a guy like laron mclain that the rats drafted last year...thats vicious blocking at its finest.

    Ben will obviously be resigned and eventually ward will have to restructure his deal. Faneca is gone, Starks will stay i think...i dunno about a spot on the starting lineup, but i think hes quality enough to keep around. We need to draft a center and a tackle....just like a bucs fan told me, mahan at center is like playing with 4 lineman...

    I would like us to make a move for cherilus in the first round this year...we might need to move up, but thats not something were afraid to do...otah is a viable option as well...we need a LT. I like marvel, but he would be godly at RT.

    guard...now this is where it gets interesting. Faneca is gone, and good riddance..weve never been afraid to let the old overpaid guys go, this wont be a bad move. Mahan could possibly play guard, but if it were up to me he would be playing football period. Colon will inevitably move to one of the guard spots, i think he has potential to be a dominate guard, hes shown promise at RT but he is much better suited for OG. Fanecas spot might be perfect for him...and would be so much easier if we get a violently badass LT in the draft. And then simmons is locked up for a few years, but i dont think hes as bad as some beleive....with a dominate RT like smith next to him he could have great success. And there is no center worth taking in the first round unless mangold re-enters.....there will be plenty of badass centers in the 3rd round to at least look at. JUST ONE dominate tackle in this draft could fix all our problems...it will make a monumental difference to get a badass LT....once your sure up that spot you are pretty set, everything kinda falls into place. (see browns with joe thomas)

    Safety is not as bad as we think...smith doesn suck as much as he did yesterday and to think he does is retarded...if we can keep clark we have the best safety depth ever, any of our 4 guys could start and we wouldnt miss a beat.

    I have nothing bad to say about the linebackers...we are very solid, a 4th round MLB would be smart, but no immediate impact is necessary. Haggans will not be comanding alot of $$$ and no one will offer him enough not to make him resign with us for depth at the very least.

    Dline will be a bigger need next year than it is this year...if we could get one guy to step in for smith and keisel once in a while we would be ok. You wont just find a guy like casey, but hes as solid as a rock and the dline is ok for this year....heres a thought just for fun though ...albert haynesworth lol...wow that would be a nasty line.

    Corner....solid if you ask me....Deshea is playing at a high level and mcfadden could be starting if he wasnt....i really like william gay in the future too.

    WR....this will be our second round pick hopefully....lots of quality WRs this year that wont go in the first round but definitely could. One day ward will either have to restructure or walk away because hes making entirely to much money. Holmes is a badass and will eventually take over as #1....and it has shown this year with him being our leading WR and all. i dont want a tall guy....and if you do i hate you, i want a physical guy who cant block, catch, get open, run, and score TDs. Ward will be around, but we need that 3rd guy who can be a badass.

    TE....bueno

    Punter...couldnt be better

    Kicker...i hate reeds kickoffs still

    RB...i like najeh and willie...and getting that LT in the first round is KEY to this being a nasty running game...im not sure if everyone realizes how much one guy on that line will change our team completely

    and field turf is as big a need as anything

    i'm with you, **** a tall wr, one of the most overrated things ever

    we better draft a center or get one in free agencie, cause mahan is worthless at life, worse signing ever

    our staff is to stupid to move marvel smith to the right side, so i'm sure we are getting a right tackle......

    i want a running back, willie is garbage as he proves each week why he went undrafted and didn't play in college lol, sure he played good against the pats but running back hasn't?? willie is more of a running back for a team in a dome, he can't run in cold weather lol........why the hell couldn't we draft marion barber lol

    as for the field turf, never going to happen, our faggot *** owners are stuck in the 1700s and refuse to do it........and we have a pussy *** team that likes teh field the way it is cause of the advantage, we ain't good enough to beat teams straight up we have to handicap them with a **** poor field
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

  5. #5
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    18,519
    even if they drafted a tackle (cherilus) and put him on the right...one dominate guy will make all the difference. Even though i personally think a mammoth LT like cherilus pairing up with colon on the left would make colon 100x better and smith used to play on the right, and he does ok at LT but would be an animal at RT...making simmons all that much better...

    i dont know what were gonna do at center

  6. #6
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Funny I have been screaming for the Steelers to draft a LT for years.....Marvel is a quality LT but he isn't a elite LT....He is much better suited for RT......So I'm with you guys on drafting a LT.....

    Another interesting thing is I remember Ktrain arguing with me about moving Willie Colon to OG in the past......I see you agree with moving Colon to OG.......I think Colon will be a badass OG.....

    I think drafting a center is a must.....So if the Steelers draft a LT and a center...Then move Smith to RT and move both Colon and Mahan to OG........I think the Steelers will have the makings of a great Oline again...

    Plus don't count Kemoeatu yet....He still might surprise and win one of the OG spots...I know Simmons will be back but I just hope two guys beat him out for the starting OG spots....I don't if the Steelers can cut him with his new contract....But he can't start anymore period....He is worthless....

    I would also draft an OG....That would make 3 picks next year Olineman....But I think we need to draft some talent all along the Oline....

    I'm with you guys on the drafting a WR....I love Hardy from IU...I hope he is there in the 2nd round when we draft....

    So my draft would look like this...I'm only naming positions and not names....

    1-OT (hopefully a true LT)
    2-WR
    3-C
    4-OG
    5-FB
    6-traded for Rossum
    7-Best player available....

  7. #7
    The Absolute Truth Koopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Kingsville, Texas
    Posts
    9,321
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Funny I have been screaming for the Steelers to draft a LT for years.....Marvel is a quality LT but he isn't a elite LT....He is much better suited for RT......So I'm with you guys on drafting a LT.....

    Another interesting thing is I remember Ktrain arguing with me about moving Willie Colon to OG in the past......I see you agree with moving Colon to OG.......I think Colon will be a badass OG.....

    I think drafting a center is a must.....So if the Steelers draft a LT and a center...Then move Smith to RT and move both Colon and Mahan to OG........I think the Steelers will have the makings of a great Oline again...

    Plus don't count Kemoeatu yet....He still might surprise and win one of the OG spots...I know Simmons will be back but I just hope two guys beat him out for the starting OG spots....I don't if the Steelers can cut him with his new contract....But he can't start anymore period....He is worthless....

    I would also draft an OG....That would make 3 picks next year Olineman....But I think we need to draft some talent all along the Oline....

    I'm with you guys on the drafting a WR....I love Hardy from IU...I hope he is there in the 2nd round when we draft....

    So my draft would look like this...I'm only naming positions and not names....

    1-OT (hopefully a true LT)
    2-WR
    3-C
    4-OG
    5-FB
    6-traded for Rossum
    7-Best player available....
    some ppl get upset that we traded a 6th rounder for a superstar punter, but i never hear anyone bitch about trading a 6th rounder for a complete bum

    i would love taht draft if it went the way you have it
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

  8. #8
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    18,519
    lol my argument with colon at guard was for this year because i really hated the idea of starks at RT again and colon outplayed him...i would love to see him at guard, preferably next to a badass rookie LT

    your scenerio for the draft is the best possible scenerio we could have. Maybe not a FB but we will see.

    also, i love hearing the term "superstar punter" lol

  9. #9
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    some ppl get upset that we traded a 6th rounder for a superstar punter, but i never hear anyone bitch about trading a 6th rounder for a complete bum

    i would love taht draft if it went the way you have it
    I think its a 6th rounder we gave up for Rossum.......I know it was a late round so its either a 6th or 7th but I do think I read somewhere it was a 6th..... With the issues on the Oline that has to be the focal point......But I think adding to the Dline in the near future is a must also...There isn't much young blood behind the vets.....But hopefully McBean shows something during this training camp...It takes Dline a few years to learn our system....But I do think the Steelers can wait until the 09 draft to address the Dline.....Oline and a WR then I would be happy.....A FB late and Best Available in the 7th sounds the best to me.....

  10. #10
    The Absolute Truth Koopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Kingsville, Texas
    Posts
    9,321
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    isn't marvel smith a free agent too?? why are we talking like it's a for sure thing he'll be back??
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Heinz Field Blueprint!
    By Stairwayto7 in forum Steelers Pictures, Videos, & Songs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 07:33 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2007, 11:11 AM
  3. New office building OK'd for Oakland
    By Friday133 in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-06-2007, 08:53 AM
  4. Lidle's Plane Hits NYC Building
    By PITT23 in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 11:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •