Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can the Steelers clinch a playoff birth with a win Thursday???

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

Can the Steelers clinch a playoff birth with a win Thursday???

Im reading different websites and different scenarios and some say they can others say they cant. The ones that say they wont clinch with just a win over the Rams which would get them to 10 wins is because it would be a non conference win and not count inside the AFC. I dont know how accurate that is or not but I know if we would win agains the Rams and lose against the Ravens that puts our conference record at 7-5. Now hypothetically assuming the Browns win out and finish 11-5 and do win the North over us if we do indeed finish 10-6, and Tennessee finishes 10-6 as well with a 7-5 conference record like the Steelers would they beat the Titans out for the last spot?? My question is what would be the next tiebraker common opponents or strength of victory??

The Chargers have already jumped the Steelers at this point for the number 3 seed and It looks like now in order to get that number 3 seed the Steelers are going to have to win out and have San Diego lose one of their last 2 games to either Denver or the Raiders. You might not think their is a big difference between getting the 3 or 4 seed but the difference at this point is if your the 3 you get the Browns and Colts the first 2 games, and if your the 4 you get the Jags and Pats which is much much tougher. The Steelers really need to WIN in St Louis Thursday night and put the pressure on the Browns to win in Cincy on Sunday to still have a shot to win the North. A loss to the Rams on Thursday night and all bets are off in terms of making the playoffs. If somebody could help me out though with that 10-6 scenario with Tennessee and how that works it would be great thanks guys.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    They're still on course to win the AFC North Division.

To do so, the Steelers need only defeat a three-win St. Louis team that was lit up Sunday by Green Bay and a four-win Baltimore team that lost yesterday to previously winless Miami.
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_543119.html

Without researching it further because frankly I'm too tired too at this point, lol, it would go to strength of schedule next I believe if it were to come down to us and Tennesse.

My Mood
    Clowns
    I understand that TG and Prisuta makes a lot of good points but that still doesnt answer my question as to whether the Steelers would win a tiebraker over the Titans should they beat the Rams and lose to the Ravens and finish with the same 7-5 conference record as the Titans because like it or not that sceanrio is still out there and at this point its very possible. If Prisuta or anybody else thinks its a mortal lock the Steelers are going to win both of these games against the Rams and Ravens just by showing up then they are badly mistaken. This team has been inconsistent on the road all season long and have lost to bad teams on the road this year and the Rams even though their 3-10 are much improved over the last month and are healthy and the Ravens are not going to want to lose 10 in a row to end their season and go 0-6 within the AFC North and they would love to ruin the Steelers chances at winning the division or god forbid clinching a playoff spot that last week in Baltimore. But again, if anybody can find out this scenario with Tennessee and the Steelers if it indeed would happen let me know thanks.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I added something to my post probably at the same time you were typing..LOL

Without researching it further because frankly I'm too tired too at this point, lol, it would go to strength of schedule next I believe if it were to come down to us and Tennesse.
    Prisuta was probably being a bit sarcastic in his article, he does that a lot but in the end he is probably right that we will win out and squeak into the playoffs but be promptly ousted. It wouldnt surprise me to see this team not recover at this point because they've shown a propensity to not show up in 1 phase or another on any given week and once you hit the playoffs you better be a complete team or you won't do anything.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 12-17-2007 at 12:55 AM.

My Mood
    Clowns
    I think its strength of victory before strength of schedule first. The common opponents is before both of those but that is a wash because it would end in a tie at 2-2 I believe. This is all a moot point if the Steelers win these last 2 or even if they win this week and the Browns lose to the Bengals but I would still like to know one way or another because it could very well indeed come down to that tiebraker with the Titans if the Steelers are not very very careful here.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The worst part about this whole situation is we could have avoided all of this if we would have taken care of business against teams like the Jets and Broncos. Had we done that the loss to the Pats wouldn't have had such a dramatic affect on our playoffs situation but couple that with the loss now to the Jags and it's al just a pitiful sight to behold considering we had a 2 1/2 game lead in the division just 2 weeks ago and now we're tied ( well a 1/2 game lead since we own the tiebreaker with Cleveland).

My Mood
    Clowns
    I do not believe the Steelers are bad enough to lose to both the Rams and Ravens and miss out, and I also believe that the Browns and Titans are not good enough to win their last 2 games and force that tiebraker I mentioned to knock the Steelers out of the playoffs. At this point it would take an absolute disaster or implosion for the Steelers to not get in even if they would lose the last 2 games the Titans lose to the Colts or Jets they still get in. If the Steelers would dare miss the playoffs the 75th anniversery season will go down as by far the biggest collapse in Steelers history. There will just be no conceivable reason or excuse for this Steelers team in the position they are in now to not make the playoffs it would take a complete and total **** up for it to happen.

2nd String
    if we win out we the divison, my problem is this ben was hurt yesterday it was obvious by his play r u all sure we don't have coward still coaching with an tan? why not put batch ni'm tired of the weak play calling, the poor execution,etc.................the defense will get tired 2 if we keep going 3and out on offense, u can totally blame the d.i thought there was no i n team is the only reason ben out there is 2 break the team touchdown record?come on steelers get ur heads out of ur a****

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by black an gold 4 life View Post
    if we win out we the divison, my problem is this ben was hurt yesterday it was obvious by his play r u all sure we don't have coward still coaching with an tan? why not put batch ni'm tired of the weak play calling, the poor execution,etc.................the defense will get tired 2 if we keep going 3and out on offense, u can totally blame the d.i thought there was no i n team is the only reason ben out there is 2 break the team touchdown record?come on steelers get ur heads out of ur a****
    Ben has been hurt since the last half the season, he's been playing through it just fine you can't blame him for any deficiencies in the play calling, which by the way the play calling was just fine yesterday save for a few botched ones. Ben executes the game plan and is playing like a top 5 QB in the NFL this year. Putting Batch in would the dumbest thing we could do right now because there's no reason to do it.

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    The worst part about this whole situation is we could have avoided all of this if we would have taken care of business against teams like the Jets and Broncos. Had we done that the loss to the Pats wouldn't have had such a dramatic affect on our playoffs situation but couple that with the loss now to the Jags and it's al just a pitiful sight to behold considering we had a 2 1/2 game lead in the division just 2 weeks ago and now we're tied ( well a 1/2 game lead since we own the tiebreaker with Cleveland).
    +1 ... well stated.

Thread Information