Thread: Offense looking to get ground game moving

Bookmark and Share

Offense looking to get ground game moving

After rushing for only 26 yards last game, this is almost a no brainer! Steelers football is all about 100 yard rushers and holding the ball for 35 minutes...

I never really thought there was a huge rivalry between the Steelers and Bengals, but as mentioned in this article this is the biggest the rivalry has ever been! It's safe to say now that the entire AFCN consists of nothing but rivalries!

http://media3.steelers.com/article/69478/
    The Steelers offense is known for their strong running game and that is one thing they have to get back on track this week against the Bengals.

Against Jacksonville on Monday night the Steelers managed only 26 yards rushing on 14 carries. Willie Parker had 11 carries for 20 yards.

"That's who we are," said wide receiver Hines Ward. "That's our identity. That's what it's been every year since I've been here. Everything's predicated off the run. We run first, we do everything second. If we can't do that, you kind of lose your identity."

The Steelers are currently tied for 22nd in rushing in the NFL, a ranking that doesn't please the offense, but a ranking they know they can improve on.

"We ran only 14 times," said guard Alan Faneca. "If it was 40 times for 26 yards, I'd be a lot more concerned than I am now. But it's definitely something we have to straighten out.

"They (Jacksonville) brought the blitz more than they had shown. You clog up a couple holes here and there, and all of a sudden you're bending the play out to another defender. They were doing that, and there were some we missed, some we could have blocked better, and some we could have run better. It was all of us, I think, in the run game."

The Steelers-Bengals rivalry has always been competitive, but this is the most competitive since Bill Cowher has been the Steelers head coach.

"I don't think there's any question, since I've been here," said Cowher. "This is a football team that's playing with a lot of confidence and deservedly so. They're playing at a high level, and certainly right now they're the defending divisional champs. I think when you get teams that play at high levels, it creates a rivalry within the division. There's no question that this is the best football team we've played from Cincinnati."

Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, who was roommates with Steelers safety Troy Polamalu at USC, had plenty of praise for his friend this week.

"In my eyes he's the best defensive player in the game," said Palmer. "He's more than just the best safety. He's the best defensive football player. He consistently makes plays. He leads that defense by example. He's a lot of fun to watch and not a lot of fun to play against."

My Mood
    Addicted
    It's been a rivalry since last year for the most part. When 2 teams play well and are battling for the title it can create one pretty fast.

House of Steel
    IT is even more intense than the old Browns-Steelers Rivalries of the 70's and 80's. They are going to get their asses handed to them.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ive never considered the bengals a real rival up until last year. When a team spends over a decade losing more games than they win year after year its not a rival. Now its a full fledged, 3 alarm, 100%, pure hatred rivalry !

My Mood
    Addicted
    Now you know why they all act like asses!...lol They haven't had much to cheer for.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Absence breeds contempt I guess...absence from the Super Bowl

House of Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Absence breeds contempt I guess...absence from the Super Bowl

Thread Information