Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Cowher stokes rivalry

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_471450.html

By Joe Starkey
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, September 21, 2006

CINCINNATI - At the NFL Combine in late February, Steelers coach Bill Cowher was asked about his mocking of the Cincinnati Bengals' victory chant.
    "I know; I know," Cowher said. "I'm not going to be well-liked in Cincinnati."

He got that right.

Bengals fans with long memories aren't hard to find. Just spend five minutes downtown.

"I didn't like it -- and a lot of Cincinnati fans didn't like it," said Rhonda Hall, manager of a Bruegger's Bagels near Paul Brown Stadium. "They were taking our chant and turning it against us."

"I think it was pretty classless," said Damien Fullinger, 25. "They'd taken out our quarterback (Carson Palmer), and they were rubbing it in our face."

NFL Films had captured Cowher leading his team in a "Who Dey? We Dey!" chant in the locker room after a playoff victory here. It was a play on the Bengals' victory chant, which goes, "Who Dey? Who Dey? Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals?"

A month later, at the Steelers' Super Bowl victory parade, Cowher again conducted his version of the chant, this time with a quarter of a million Steelers fans.

Cowher stepped to the microphone that day and said, "When I say 'Who Dey!' you say, 'We Dey!' Ready? ... Who Dey?"

The crowd responded to three Cowher prompts, after which the coach exclaimed, "I love that!"

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis didn't particularly like it, but he was quick to use some footage as a motivational tool going into Sunday's game at Heinz Field.

Before practice Wednesday, Lewis showed his players video of the Steelers' locker-room celebration in Cincinnati.

"My first time seeing it was this morning," said receiver Chad Johnson. "Coach played it for us, and, I don't know, it's just ... very rude."

"We don't need any motivation, but (Cowher) said it, and you can't take it off tape; you can't erase it," said defensive tackle John Thornton. "Just like after we beat them up there, guys were wiping their shoes with the Terrible Towels, using it as a bib. It's give-and-take, but those guys, they took it a lot further than we did."
    We all knew the players and fans would be pissed off especially when we used their We Dey chant at our Super Bowl celebration. Everybody uses different things to get them fired up before a game, and we've got plenty of ammo to use as well. It's gonna be wild !

My Mood
    Addicted
    "We don't need any motivation, but (Cowher) said it, and you can't take it off tape; you can't erase it," said defensive tackle John Thornton. "Just like after we beat them up there, guys were wiping their shoes with the Terrible Towels, using it as a bib. It's give-and-take, but those guys, they took it a lot further than we did."
    What the hell does he mean we took it too far?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah we shouted a We Dey thing a few times, but they took our team icon, an NFL icon, the Terrible Towel and wiped their shoes with it !! WTF is that !! TJ Houzyurmama is getting some serious *** payback yet again !

Just another reason I hate the bungals, and everything about them. If they keep this up they may start to rival my hatred for the ratbirds !

My Mood
    Addicted
    Don't forget to change your usertitle!...lol I know what you mean though. I only hate a few teams in the NFL.

Ravens
    Bengals
    Browns
    Titans
    Jaguars
    Cowboys
    Patriots

ok, ok....... maybe more than a few!

The Bengals were stupid for making their video in the first place! Who dey think they are... the Chicago Bears! Come one, if you're going to make a stupid song like that and you can't back it up you deserve to be ridiculed.

Like TG said, they started it with disgracing a part of Steeler history! Their stupid little song was brought on by themselves!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    #1 Ratbird & Bengal Hater

Im not sure they are there quite yet, but the attitude of that team is starting to mirror that of their purple counterparts.

bengals fans are losers. they need to get a life.

House of Steel
    I was very pissed off when I saw Chad Johnson and TJ Housemandzeh do insulting things with our legendary Terrible Towels. I was cursing up a damn storm and my wife had to calm me down that day. I went outside and busted a record number of 2 x 4 cause I was head hunting. I wished so badly that I was a Steelers defensive back or cornerback cause when they show up This Sunday, I would rip somebody's body apart and hurt them real bad. You want insult me? Go for it, cause they will pay dearly. Them damn fans are the biggest bunch of rednecks I've ever seen.

This is pretty rich...Bengals fans, BENGALS fans calling us "classless". The biggest group of uneducated, bandwagon whore hillbillies in the NFL calling the Steelers classless...I've seen it all now...

House of Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    This is pretty rich...Bengals fans, BENGALS fans calling us "classless". The biggest group of uneducated, bandwagon whore hillbillies in the NFL calling the Steelers classless...I've seen it all now...

[MEDIA]
    [/MEDIA]

I think you are referring to these Jackoffs, correct?

Thread Information