Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Humbled offense sticks together

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_471304.html

By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Steelers' offense never came together Monday night at Alltel Stadium.
    One encouraging sign is it didn't come apart after a humbling, 9-0 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The Steelers couldn't run -- or throw for that matter -- in becoming the first reigning Super Bowl champion to be shut out since 1981. But of the problems the Steelers have to address before Cincinnati pays a visit to Heinz Field for an AFC North game Sunday, bickering among its top offensive players is not among them.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger made sure that wouldn't be an issue when he shouldered the blame for the loss that dropped his regular-season record to 22-4 as a starter.

Roethlisberger praised his wide receivers and his offensive line. The third-year pro wasn't nearly so generous when assessing his own play in the game that dropped the Steelers to 1-1.

"When you play as bad as I did, that's why you get shut out," said Roethlisberger, who completed 17 of 32 passes for 141 yards and was intercepted twice.

He did play the game with a fever, just two weeks after he had an emergency appendectomy.

Roethlisberger didn't reach for either of those crutches, as he dissected the loss that represented the first time the Steelers hadn't scored in a game since 2003.

Indeed, the only reference Roethlisberger made to what has been a nightmarish past couple of months for him came when he jokingly referred to the "black cloud that's over my head nowadays."

"A lot of mistakes were made on my part," Roethlisberger said. "I couldn't get the offense going."

Only once in 11 possessions did the Steelers' offense cross midfield. Their vertical passing game was virtually non-existent, as 10 of Roethlisberger's 17 completions went to running backs and tight ends.

"I didn't get on the same page with our receivers," Roethlisberger said, "and (I) made some plays that I probably shouldn't have done. It's something I think I'll be able to correct."
    Getting shut out on MNF will do that to ya, but it looks like they are learning from it and realizing the can and will be better. It's important to come out strong this week take that first divisional game and turn it into a win !

What I like about Ben is stepped up and accepted responsibilty for the game! That's takes a lot of courage, unlike Manning after their playoff loss to the Steelers last year!

Ben said all the right things he will come out fired up and ready to redeem himself... look for the rainbow under his black cloud as the sun starts to come out at Heinz field this Sunday!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    And the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is the fact the we'll remind the bungals who the World Champions are once again and this time their won't be any bitchin that they don't have Palmer back there !

House of Steel
    I am telling you when it is done and over, we defeat the Bungholes. I am going to let Cleveland know WE ARE BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GO STEELERS!

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Cincinnati is in for an *** kicking

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Thread Information