Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers cut Marvin Phillip (C)

Bookmark and Share
    Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar

Steelers cut Marvin Phillip (C)

Just read it on the wire ...... Oh well, add him to the long and distinguished list of failed scrub offensive lineman that have been drafted by this team over the years.

Want to know how pittiful our drafting has become? We have drafted 12 olinemen this decade and only 4 have been able to start.. And one of those starters (Starks) has since lost his job to a player who is not much better if at all (Colon). And while Simmons is a "starter" I think it is safe to say that everyone here thinks that he sucks.

Of the bunch only Marvel Smith has done a decent job. The rest have been perienial bench warmers or failed to not only make our team but ANY team after being cut.

Let's review:

2000- Marvel Smith. Decent but far from a great or franchise LT.

2001- Mathias Nkwenti and Chukky Okobi.. Nkwenti was a joke and Okobi after YEARS of being groomed to take over not only could not win the C job but could not lock down a position on the Cardinals.

2002- Simmons. Starter and only God knows why.

2003- None taken.

2004- Starks (decent at first but leveled off quickly and has not taken the next step), Bo Lacy (flocking joke), Drew Caylor (bigger flocking joke).

2005- Essex and Kemoeatu.. Neither could win jobs when jobs were "open" to competition. I still think Kemo should have won the job over Simmons but that is just me. Essex appears to be a bust like the others.

2006- Colon and Philips. Colon is the current starter at RT but almost by default because Starks sucked so bad. I would like to see Colon at OG. Philip appears to be a joke like the rest.

2007- Cameron Stephenson.... Is he even on the practice squad??

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Thats a sad list of Oline that was drafted...lol Thank you Cowher and Colbert for drafting these scrubs....I have been screaming for years that Smith is good at LT but better suited for RT....This team would be much better with a true LT.....The center spot is sad right now....Need to upgrade badly....Mahan has been average at best.....

at least were good at finding linebackers lol

Psst... Steelers.... that's not the Center you should be getting rid of. lol

I really would like to know what the plan is in regards to Centers. Let's cut every single guy we have, except Mahan. If Mahan gets hurt, do we play without a Center? Is that the strategy?
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

mahan cant get hurt....he doesnt get enough contact...the only way he'd get hurt is if he flys backwards off the ball to fast to avoid any contact and trips on ben lol

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    okobi got a raw deal, he didn't lose the starting job because of bad play, he out performed mahan in the offseason stuff.......but he got hurt and then money played a big factor.....okobi may not be that good but he's better then mahan could ever dream of lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

i was waiting for the pic lol

i was waiting for the pic lol
    The one of Okobi with his middle finger up and the Super Bowl ring on it? Can someone photoshop Mahan's face into that picture, so Okobi is flicking him off?
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    So what's the reasoning behind it, are we signing somebody else? or Mahan just that good that we don't need a backup Center anymore

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan87 View Post
    I really would like to know what the plan is in regards to Centers. Let's cut every single guy we have, except Mahan. If Mahan gets hurt, do we play without a Center? Is that the strategy?
    Our 1st round pick next year WILL be a Center .. a new era anchor of our OL ... bet it.

Mahan goes over to Faneca's vacant LG spot (which he is better suited for), Kimo battles Simmons for the RG spot .... Smith stays at LT, and Colin battles Starks for RT spot (possibly ... if they want to resign Starks .... we'll see how that goes). Colin and Mahan will be valuable due to their ability to play other positions.

Thread Information