Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 07 Draft class unimpressive thus far

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard
    Great players do not need groomed to play. We could go through a litany of names of HOF players who stepped in as rookies and made huge impacts.

Jack Lambert was one. He won the defensive rookie of the year award and never looked back.

Franco Harris stepped right in and rushed for over a thousand yards his rookie season and was also a rookie of the year.

Great players do not need groomed, they need opportunity. I didn't say the class was a flop. I said it has been disappointing thus far. The only player making any impact is Sepulveda. Woodley has been hurt so perhaps he hasn't had the opportunities but Timmons has been playing special teams and is not exactly making a name for himself there. Spaeth is living in Heath Miller's shadow. I don't believe in long term projects in the NFL. All the ones the Steelers have had recently couldn't even win their respective jobs after the roster spots were vacated and the jobs were theirs to lose. Harrison has been the exception. Look at all the O-lineman the Steelers carried the last few years that were cut this year. Guess the grooming and waiting to play didn't really pan out for them. Great players take the opportunity given to them and run with it and never look back. Tom Brady is an example of that. Since he replaced Bledsoe after an injury the rest has been history. You can either play or you can't, excuses are for wussies. Troy Palamalu is another example of a rookie who stepped right in and made an impact. All I am saying is it doesn't say much of your draft class when the punter is the one doing the best representing!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's the problem with having so many quality veterans on a team that draft picks don't always get a chance to show what they got in the first year or 2 after they are signed. If we had gaping holes either due to lack of performance or injuries then we'd see all of our day 1 picks with good stats and a lot of playing time but because we have so many pieces in place already these guys don't get the playing to determine how well they are really going to fit with us.

With the exception of Sep who has already proved his worth and then some, I'd say that by next year we'll start to see big returns on our LB's because of Haggan's deal being up and also with Tuman being hurt this year he many not come back next year now that we have Spaeth.

we arent grooming them because they are incapable, were doing it so they can step right in when the old guys are incapable and not lose a step

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    wtf??? why the hell are you expecting them to be great the moment they step on the field??? not every player roids up and is great like merriman, not everyone is a beast like willis, some players take time........and they don't really need time, it's just that the ppl ahead are playing great.....it's stupid to want to rush them

i can't believe just because we lost the best team in the league you are acting like this years draft class has been a flop and the world is going to end......... i could understand you acting liek this after the jets loss but not this loss, just stupid to be in a panic over a draft class that isn't needed this year.........and when they have been needed they've played pretty damn good
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Like I said earlier its not Woodley and Timmons fault they're not playing.....I know Woodley has been battling a hamstring but you would think he is close to being 100 percent....Both of these young guys need reps...Especially in a blow out loss.......

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    playing them against the pats might have hurt their confidence lol, i mean they were man handling james harrison, they would've ****ed timmons up with no problem.....so maybe it was best not to throw young guys to the wolves like that lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    playing them against the pats might have hurt their confidence lol, i mean they were man handling james harrison, they would've ****ed timmons up with no problem.....so maybe it was best not to throw young guys to the wolves like that lol
    You don't think Anthony Smith's confidence sank some after giving big plays?..... These are grown men and not kids.....If they can't rebound from having their confidence shaking then they don't need to be in the NFL....This isn't Professional Quilt Netting....This is Professional Football....What better time to get rooks some playing then in a blow out loss...They should have none also that they were not responsible for that mess it was the vets on the D....

I've been impressed with Spaeth and Gay... I thought we would see more of Timmons and Woodley by now. Sepulveda has done well at putting them inside the 20, but I expected longer punts more consistently.

As with every draft there were a couple misses.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BB2W View Post
    As with every draft there were a couple misses.
    Yeah, we are consistently missing on our OL picks Next years draft needs to be badass from the 1st to the last pick, everybody makes the team and contributes one way or another....wishful thinking I know.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information