Thread: NFL fines four Ravens for Patriots game

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine

NFL fines four Ravens for Patriots game

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravensfine1207,0,1958230.story?coll=bal_tab01_layo ut

Scott, Rolle, McAlister, Mason disciplined by league for treatment of officials

By Jamison Hensley | Sun reporter 3:04 PM EST, December 7, 2007
    Four Ravens -- linebacker Bart Scott, cornerbacks Samari Rolle and Chris McAlister and receiver Derrick Mason -- have been fined for violating league rules "prohibiting the abuse of game officials," the NFL announced today.

Scott was fined $25,000 for verbally abusing game officials and throwing an official's flag into the stands near the end of the Ravens' 27-24 loss to the New England Patriots on Monday.

Rolle, McAlister and Mason were fined $15,000 each for "publicly questioning the integrity of the officiating," the NFL said.

"This is about the importance of sportsmanship and respecting the integrity of our game," said Ray Anderson, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations. "We do not tolerate inappropriate conduct between teams and game officials. This includes reminding game officials that they are to conduct themselves at all times as professionals in their dealings with players, coaches, and other club personnel."

Anderson went to the Ravens' Owings Mills practice complex yesterday and spoke with Scott and Rolle before issuing the fines.

"Last Monday night's game was well officiated," Anderson said, "and it is the obligation of both players and coaches to maintain proper respect for game officials at all times."

In addition to prohibiting physical contact with game officials, league rules also bar team personnel from verbal or other non-physical abuse of officials and from public criticism of their integrity.

On his conversation with Anderson, Scott said, "We both came to the conclusion that I made a bad decision, but he understood the emotion and took that into consideration the emotion and the moment. It's definitely something for me to learn from and grow from and be an advocate speaker for great conduct."

Ravens coach Brian Billick said after today's practice that the team would not argue the fines.

"First off, to intimate that the Patriots are given some kind of favoritism is ridiculous. It's just not the case," Billick said. "Our league works very, very hard to make sure the officiating is top-notch and unbiased. I was probably remiss after the game in not counseling the players better about the frustrations that I knew existed."
    Shouldn't the Ravens SS Rodney have been fined for running over to the sideline and shouting at Brian Billick?

I don't like the guy particularly, but as a coach, he should have the same level of respect given that a ref is entitled to--but I haven't heard anything even being mentioned about what Rodney did.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    They should fine the entire team for excessive whining !!

Put a fork in them.
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

I understand the fines and what not, but what I don't understand is why the Ref wasn't fined for arguing with Rolle. He has admitted to calling him boy so the Ref should be find as well for not being professional and retaliating... definitely a double standard!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersWoman View Post
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravensfine1207,0,1958230.story?coll=bal_tab01_layo ut

Scott, Rolle, McAlister, Mason disciplined by league for treatment of officials

By Jamison Hensley | Sun reporter 3:04 PM EST, December 7, 2007

Shouldn't the Ravens SS Rodney have been fined for running over to the sideline and shouting at Brian Billick?

I don't like the guy particularly, but as a coach, he should have the same level of respect given that a ref is entitled to--but I haven't heard anything even being mentioned about what Rodney did.
    Harrison did get fined....5 G's.

Brian Billick isn't a kiss-and-tell guy, so fans who watched the exchange between the Baltimore Ravens' coach and Rodney Harrison Monday night may never know exactly what the Patriots veteran strong safety said to provoke one of the funniest moments of the season.

But league officials apparently have some idea.

Lost amid the $70,000 in fines levied against four Ravens players for their actions and comments during and after the Monday night loss to the Patriots -- including a fine of $25,000 for linebacker Bart Scott, who drew two unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, and heaved an official's penalty flag into the stands -- was a fine of $5,000 levied against Harrison.

The 14-year veteran was cited by the NFL for taunting the Ravens following a fourth-quarter interception by Patriots free safety James Sanders on a deep pass by Kyle Boller that quashed a Baltimore scoring drive.

On Sanders' return to near-midfield, Harrison was blocking. When the play ended, he was near the Ravens sideline. Television cameras did not show Harrison saying anything, but they did catch the reaction from Billick, who sarcastically blew three kisses in the direction of the safety.

The replay of Billick was shown repeatedly in the days following the game.

"He said a few things about me, Kyle [Boller], and my team and I just want him to know first, we love you Rodney, and secondly you can kiss my back side," Billick said. "But, I don't take offense to what Rodney did and I hope he doesn't misinterpret my gestures, because he's not that good-looking a guy."

One of the most heavily sanctioned players in recent league history, Harrison has been fined more than a quarter-million dollars in his career. He also forfeited $470,588 of his $2 million base salary this season when he was suspended for the first four games of the year for a violation of the league's steroid and related-substances policy.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Quote Originally Posted by GoBenGo View Post
    Put a fork in them.
    PUT A WILFORK IN MAHAN

Westerville, OH now but from Mount Lebanon, PA
    My Mood
    patriots-hater

My Social Networks

Follow StlersGuy On Twitter Add StlersGuy on Facebook Add StlersGuy on Google+ Visit StlersGuy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBenGo View Post
    Put a fork in them.

I like my ratbird well done

Quote Originally Posted by ohio steeler View Post
    I like my ratbird well done
    THEY GAVE THESE OUT AT THE RAVENS/COLTS GAME LAST NIGHT
    Yeah! I thought they were blindfolds too! SCARFS my raisinbuddy says. I would not think they would give out a free gift intended to tighten around ones neck.given the current state of affairs.

Thread Information