Thread: Why the Patriots won't score more than 21 points

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine

Why the Patriots won't score more than 21 points

December 06, 07
    By: Statistics Man

It’s no secret that the New England offensive attack is the most feared in football. Tom Brady is having an MVP year and the Pats are breaking records left and right. Throw in the fact that they’re 12-0 and you’ve got a whole lot of talk about that elusive “perfect season”.

But something happened Monday night against the Ravens that got me to thinking. Did you notice that the Pats we’re having an “off” game, too? At least that’s what people like Steve Young has said.

While it’s true that every team goes through a collective lull during the season at one point or another, I’m noticing a trend that I’d like to share with you. The Patriots offense is not nearly as potent against a more physical defense. Now, this may not be the most exclusive thought in the football universe, but I want to put my two cents in on this.

The table below supports my theory. I seperated the games that New England has played against more physical defenses (IND, PHI & BAL) from the rest of their schedule. What I found was very intriguing and i think you will, too. NOTE: I did not include their game against Dallas as a more physical matchup because the Dallas defense is actually not a very physical unit.

New England Offensive Production Comparison

As you can see, the Patriots offense, across the board, does not perform as well against a more physical defense. The only statistic that was higher was pass attempts. And notice that when Brady threw more he actually completed less passes (75% to 59%).
    Last edited by AZ_Steeler; 12-07-2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: I fixed your grid... :bigthumb:

the pats will score more than 21,they where saying that we would get owned by the steelers D in the 2005 AFCG..and we ended up with 41,the pats wont score 40 this time,I THINK,but we will score over 30

Patriots 37 Steelers 20

Maybe the thread should read"Why the steelers wont score 21"
    3 More Before We Get 4.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Enough of this talk, let's play the game already !! All this hype is getting old.

Banned Snake Champion
    My Mood
    Smokin
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Enough of this talk, let's play the game already !! All this hype is getting old.

I hope I don't eat my words, but.

I feel our guys O&D will be fired up like when we went into Denver during our SB run. *** kicking for 60 minutes all 3 sides of the ball.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    For real! I am so anxious for Sunday.

2nd String
    p4e get an life ur teams sucks they cheat cheat cheat cheat that's the only way they win, now that they can't steal the defensive calls tom brady looks human back there, we will beat them just like anthony smith said f*** the patriots k.k.a THE CHEATERS

Knowing how pumped I am for this game I can't even begin to image how amped the Steelers D is right now!!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Let's hope we don't pump ourselves right out of the game by being too worked up that we don't stick with the game plan and press the issue too much.

Quote Originally Posted by P4E* View Post
    the pats will score more than 21,they where saying that we would get owned by the steelers D in the 2005 AFCG..and we ended up with 41,the pats wont score 40 this time,I THINK,but we will score over 30

Patriots 37 Steelers 20

Maybe the thread should read"Why the steelers wont score 21"
    Hey fag, last time I logged on, this is a Steelers site, take your fruity little *** back to the hole in the wall at your local rest stop.

Thread Information