Thread: Opponent Spotlight: Randy Moss

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed

Opponent Spotlight: Randy Moss

http://diehardsteel.com/

December 7th, 2007 by Neal Coolong

Beat him, smack him, mangle him, he’s the Patriots amazing wide receiver Randy Moss! The Steelers secondary is going to treat him like a Stretch Armstrong doll, and basically pound on him each chance they get. It’s really the only way to limit the NFL’s greatest deep threat. If he does get going outside the numbers, though, it could be a long afternoon...

Big games between two of the best teams in the game usually are decided by big plays. Which team makes more of them at the right time? Moss is Mr. Big Play. Last week, he became the first wide receiver to ever catch 17 or more touchdowns in three seasons. Likely, by the end of the season, Moss will also be the only player to be on both of the two highest scoring offenses in NFL history - the 2007 Patriots and the 1998 Vikings.

While his quarterback, Tom Brady, is a little tougher to limit, Moss has strangely suspect recently. In his last two games, he has nine catches for 79 yards (8.5 ypc). Philadelphia and Baltimore largely limited Moss by playing him physically, and with a safety rolling over the top of him, they were able to limit his big-play ability - which is the key to Sunday’s game.

Moss is a walking, talking Big Play. It’s the Steelers who have been doing the talking, however. FS Anthony Smith’s (media-fueled) “guarantee” is all over, and the Patriots responded yesterday with the typical response: Who is Anthony Smith?

That was DE Ty Warren’s question anyway, because, ya know, Ty Warren is one of the most well-known and top-producing players in the game.
    Conveniently enough for our “hear what we want to” NFL media, they seem to have forgotten SS Rodney Harrison’s cowardly act of screaming at Ravens coach Brian Billickduring the Patriots eventual win last week.

This teaches us the lesson that, if you’ve been around the league longer than the forward pass, and you get busted with HGH, you’re allowed to yell directly at your opponent’s head coach. As Brady says, “well done is better than well said.”

Yeah, giving up 24 points to Kyle Boller’s Ravens is a job well-done indeed.
    Back to Moss, though…

His reputation of being an Outside the Numbers receiver - one who doesn’t like going across the middle - is well-known, particularly by Steelers SS Tyrone Carter, Moss’s teammate in Minnesota from 2000-02.
    From the T-R:
    “I know he doesn’t like to get hit, man, Randy Moss doesn’t like to get hit. I played with him in Minnesota. The main thing he had problems with was when guys got in his face, jamming him at the line, hitting him when they got a chance and getting him off his normal pace.”
    This type of mentality from the secondary is reminiscent of what the Patriots did to the Colts in the early ’00s. Beat up the receivers, get them out of their rhythm, and close the pocket around the QB.

Moss is no doubt one of the best WRs of all time, and is probably the best deep threat in the history of the game. But if Pittsburgh’s amped up secondary can keep him in check outside the numbers, he’s going to Alligator-Arm (extend his arms for a pass across the middle, but not bring his body into it out of fear of the hit that is coming) a few passes over the middle.

Bottom line: Even with Moss’s deer-like speed, if the defense largely takes away the game outside the numbers, the Patriots juggernaut offense is not going to be able to pour it on the way they have against most of their opponents.

Granted, limiting the Patriots offense this season means only giving up 28 points, but they aren’t going to only score 28 points if Moss has free reign down the sidelines.

Pittsburgh’s secondary has to bump the snot out of him on the line, get in a few shots on him on run plays, and make sure three guys or more hit him every time he touches the ball. If they apply the same kind of physical beating the Patriots gave WR Marvin Harrison in the 2004 AFC Championship game (the Colts scored three points that game), Moss’s spirit will be gone.
    Expect Patriots coach Bill Belichick to set a mandate to try to get him involved in a big way early. With all the talking the Steelers have done, if they get a chance to back some of it up on Moss, they’re going to take it.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Nice read and yeah we need to bust Moss in the mouth every chance we get, even on running plays. By the end of the game, he'll be carried off on a stretcher cuz he'll be in a permanent fetal position.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

The Patriots have made their first mistake by asking
    Who is Anthony Smith?
    After this weekend they WILL NOW WHO ANTHONY SMITH is, and that is a guarantee!!!

Moss might be one of the great receivers to play the game but it's amazing how he can put up the numbers he does with any YAC! Jerry Rice was the king in the YAC category because he would catch that little 5 yard quick slant and take 75 yards to the house because he was afraid to get hit! Moss catches that same pass and curls up like a baby with his thumb in his mouth.

I have never seen Moss play physical unless it was after the play and his panties got in bunch because someone tackled him... How can you call yourself a football player if you don't like getting hit? Maybe he should have looked into curling

My Mood
    Addicted
    Anthony Smith will be on a rampage now.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Mr. Moss...please meet Mr. Smith and Mr. Carter, it will be our pleasure to pound you into the ground every chance that we get !

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Mr. Moss...please meet Mr. Smith and Mr. Carter, it will be our pleasure to pound you into the ground every chance that we get !

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Coverage is one thing, but a pass rush will be the other!!!! If we can force Brady to move and force Moss inside to the safties, i dont see him attempting to catch a pass inside where he cant immediately hit the turf!!! i would rather see a monster hit on Wes Welker my self, i hate that lil bastard, he's cocky and i think he is a big threat when it comes to YAC. He gets alot of swings/screens and quick passes in the open field and we have to close on him and make him pay!!!!

Fxxk Moss, Fxxk Brady Bellychuck and Baked Beans. Tired of hearing all this crap ! Pretty them biotches up and prance 'em out there for our monsters to mangle! Is it sunday yet???!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

Waterboy
    Randy Moss is gonna be covered like a blanket over a fly. he has no chance, at all.

Thread Information