Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith guarantees upset of New England

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    panthers-hater

Smith guarantees upset of New England

Anthony Smith went out of his way to guarantee a win against the Pats today on Sunday even though it doesnt say it here in that in the link that was posted about Smith saying the Pats receivers arent that good. This is just stupid in my opinion. Why would he do something stupid like that when your playing a team like the Pats and that kind of shiat does nothing but **** them off more and more when you play them. The Steelers are a good team but there not a good enough team yet and especially on the road when your playing a team that hasnt lost a game yet to go open your damn mouth and guarantee a victory against them in their own backyard. Tomlin should have told everyone of these players to keep a low profile this week and not open your mouth and give the Pats any extra added fuel. Ill say one thing Tomlin had better have this team ready to play Sunday for once on the road if Smith is going to come out and make statements like this. Im tired of this team coming out flat and looking horrific the last 3 or 4 road games this year.

This is a huge huge measuring stick and test for the Steelers this week. If the Steelers lose this game and play hard and play right with the Pats till the end and its a close game then maybe this team has a chance to do something, if they dont and get blown out of the water and look flat and sluggish then this team is going nowhere in the playoffs. The bottom line is Tomlin had better have this team ready to play on the road for once this week or Im going to really start to question his focus and awareness of this team. Anthony Smith's comments here though are just flat out dumb though the Steelers didnt need him to come out and say this just totally uncalled for.

i love this kid...

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed

Smith guarantees upset of New England

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7530470?MSNHPHMA

Associated Press, Updated 5 minutes ago

Defensive back Anthony Smith is so certain the Pittsburgh Steelers will end the New England Patriots' unbeaten season, he is guaranteeing a win Sunday in Foxborough.

The Patriots (12-0) may have the perfect record, Smith said Wednesday, but it should be New England that is worried about the Steelers (9-3) rather than the other way around.

"People keep asking me if we're ready for the Patriots," Smith said. "They should be asking if they're ready for us."

Is Smith so confident that he is willing to copy one of former Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter's familiar motivational ploys by guaranteeing the Steelers will win?
    "We're going to win," Smith said. "Yeah, I can guarantee a win. As long as we come out and do what we got to do. Both sides of the ball are rolling, and if our special teams come through for us, we've got a good chance to win."

Despite Smith's abundant optimism, no other Steelers are designating Sunday as guaranteed win day. Linebacker James Farrior, cautioning that Smith hasn't been in the NFL long and may not realize what he is saying, doesn't think the Patriots will pay any attention.

Smith, a third-round pick from Syracuse in 2006, became the starter at free safety only after Ryan Clark needed spleen surgery in late October.
    "He better keep his mouth shut," Farrior said, though he was laughing and wasn't angry at his teammate. "Oh well, I guess we've got to go deal with that."

Defensive end Brett Keisel doubts Smith's words will have any impact, even if the Steelers might have been better off not giving an exceptional team like New England any bulletin-board material.

"I think a lot of us in here feel like this is one of those games where we really don't have that much to lose," Keisel said. "If we win the game, well, we were supposed to win, and if we lose the game, we were supposed to lose. They're this big, great team that no one can touch."

The Steelers stopped the Patriots' record 21-game winning streak in 2004, but they have dropped five of six to New England since 1997 — with two losses in AFC championship games.

Still, Smith is convinced there are multiple reasons why the Steelers will be the team that makes certain New England doesn't become the first NFL team to sweep a 16-game schedule.

Pittsburgh's defense has allowed the fewest points and yards in the NFL and, Smith said, "We don't expect that to change."

Also, he said, the Steelers are more physical than any team New England has faced and are so balanced offensively, the Patriots can't stop both Willie Parker's running and Ben Roethlisberger's throwing.

If the Patriots thought the Ravens were physical Monday night when New England was forced to stage a desperation rally to win 27-24 in the final minute, Smith said, wait until they meet up with Pittsburgh.

"They say they played their toughest game last week against Baltimore, but I think we play harder than Baltimore," Smith said. "They're going to be in for it again this week. They're going to have a tough week in front of them."
    Smith isn't worried his words might give the Patriots a motivational kick during a tough week in which the Patriots are playing two physical AFC North teams in a seven-day span. Or that his own teammates will dislike what he is saying.
    "They will back me up," Smith said. "Everyone has the same attitude anyway, so it's not like it's a big thing."

If Smith didn't give the Patriots enough hey-look-at-this material, here's this nugget for the Patriots' receiving corps: Smith said they may have Randy Moss, but Cincinnati — not New England — has the league's best wide receivers.
    "They've got Walker and Moss," Smith said, referring to Patriots receivers Wes Welker and Randy Moss. "But they're not like Cincinnati."

The Steelers shut down the Bengals' passing game during a 24-10 victory Sunday night, limiting star receiver Chad Johnson to six harmless catches. Carson Palmer completed only 38.6 percent of his passes (17-of-44) and was 11-of-37 (29.7 percent) after Cincinnati's opening drive.

Keisel could only laugh after hearing Smith's comments, saying, "Maybe I should start (guaranteeing games)."
    Will he begin doing that next week, when the Steelers play the Jacksonville Jaguars (8-4)? "Maybe the week after that," he said.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    if we beat them, so what, they are still our daddy in the playoffs so it dosen't matter at all
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Man I wished he wouldn't have said that in public,,,,,,,,,
    That always fires up the oposition,,,,,,,,

I did like what Keisel said though,,,,,,,,

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I wonder what kind of talk Tomlin had with him after that statement hit the news wire. To me it sounds like the entire team is tired of hearing about the Pats and is just ready to get out there and get it on with them.

He did kind of backpedal out of it though..

"We're going to win," Smith said. "Yeah, I can guarantee a win. As long as we come out and do what we got to do. Both sides of the ball are rolling, and if our special teams come through for us, we've got a good chance to win."

Personally I'd rather he not say anything of this magnitude but we'll see what happens. If we're going to beat them then we have to do it whether they are all fired up with bulletin board material or not.

My Mood
    Horny
    personally i hate when players do this! it is great to see that they are fired up and can't wait to take it out on the field i love to hear them say that they are pumped and can't wait to play ect but don't guarantee a win it always back fires and then they really look like an ***!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoWard View Post
    personally i hate when players do this! it is great to see that they are fired up and can't wait to take it out on the field i love to hear them say that they are pumped and can't wait to play ect but don't guarantee a win it always back fires and then they really look like an ***!
    That's what worries me too, get fired up all you want and take it out on the players across from you but why give them more bulletin board material. I love trash talking, I think it's great but I don't like guaranteeing wins at all.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    “They said Baltimore was their most physical game,” said Smith. “But I think we hit harder than Baltimore. They haven’t seen nothing like us yet.”
    **** what the Patsies will think about it, they won't be able to stop the big hits that are coming their way.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You can never say that Anthony Smith doesn't exude confidence..LOL

Thread Information