Thread: Rusty QB and his offense need to warm up against the Bengals

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Rusty QB and his offense need to warm up against the Bengals

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06263/723326-66.stm

Wednesday, September 20, 2006
    By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Cowher wasn't prepared to give a complete injury-status report yesterday heading into Sunday's game against the visiting Cincinnati Bengals. It had been barely 12 hours after the Steelers' 9-0 loss at Jacksonville. But he was able to clarify one medical misnomer:

Big Ben had a little fever.

In other words, Roethlisberger's mercury reading was exaggerated on the ESPN telecast Monday night and by various other media outlets afterward.

"The fever was 100.4. Not 104. Somebody miscalculated a decimal point," Cowher said tersely yesterday in what was mostly a terse news conference.

So that meant that the television reports were erroneous?

"I don't know," Cowher added with the same stern face as throughout, "I didn't watch any of the pregame shows."

The Steelers' coach -- whose offense mustered just 26 yards rushing for the lowest such total in Cowher's 236-game era and scored zero points for the first time in 41 regular- and postseason games -- didn't seem

ready to ascribe Roethlisberger's slight temperature increase as the reason for his third-year quarterback's subpar performance. He didn't seem ready to ascribe the 17-for-32 passing for 141 yards and two interceptions to any lingering problems or weariness from Roethlisberger's emergency appendectomy 15 days earlier.

Oh, and the reason for the fever? "The common cold, from what I was told," Cowher said. "I mean, I think [the reason for such a performance] is just the fact with everything that has gone on, it was his first game out. When you go from the preseason to the regular season, everybody's going through that period of acclimation to the speed of the game, because it does go up. Then you come into the second week of the season, and [the rest of the players] have already been through that first week of acclimation. He was probably a little behind in that standpoint.

"You know what, I thought he started the game, and threw some balls, pretty well. We were not in sync. ... And, some of that will take time. I remember, last week in practice, the first day we were out there, he completed a ball to Hines [Ward], and I told them that it was the first completion they had to each other in a month, since training camp.

"It has been a case of circumstances have not allowed us to be in sync in practice, and sometimes that does carry over into games. We certainly have to get better as a whole. It was one game, but there are a lot things we have to make sure we don't just think [are] going to get rectified over time. There has to be a sense of urgency in doing so, in all three phases. We're going to have to play better. And, certainly, there's no margin of error playing the team we're playing Sunday."

As long as he got it out of his system, then maybe it was worth it. A loss is never good but if it has to happen then let it happen now so he can get back to leading our offense and not having our defense on the field for 40 minutes a game.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I thought Ben did ok. It just seemed like Holmes and some of the other WR's were running the wrong routes. Maybe it was Ben, maybe it was the WR's or maybe a combination of both. I'm not sure. But they better play better than that to beat the Bengals come Sunday. You know they will be pumped up to try and knock us off like the Jaguars were if not more.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think it was more Ben this time, Im sure the timing was off between the 2 of them so we can't place all the blame on the QB but too many times passes were behind the WR or over their heads or just plain just off the mark.

Hey that game was good for him, and hopefully he has a good week of practice ahead of him...he blames himself for the loss and he takes them personally. He should be 100% better this week once he builds a rhythm.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yes it was good to get him in the game, I agree with that, and he needed the reps...I just wish we'd have been more efficient and smarter in the pass plays, along with better blocking wouldnt have hurt either. When he's come back from injury before he's been much more efficient, but since he hasn't played much since the super bowl, I guess he had more rust then most of us thought he might.

I was personally glad to see Ben play this game becuase I wouldn't want him to come out rusty against the Bengals this week. A sharp Ben can get the Steelers back in the AFCN race... just need to hope the Browns can knock off the Ravens

House of Steel
    That is asking for a miracle, AZ. Daylon McCutcheon is out for the year with a knee injury. This secondary is very depleted. In other words, when we play Cleveland on November 19th, we will definitely see this 59-0!!!

Ben was rusty last year agaisnt Indy on Monday night; he was coming off an injury and had missed sometime as well.

Thread Information