Thread: Steelers kept Patriots in mind

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers kept Patriots in mind

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07338/838952-66.stm

Tuesday, December 04, 2007
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The truth now emerges. The Steelers were thinking about the New England Patriots long before this week.

"Oh, yeah," linebacker Larry Foote acknowledged. "The political thing is to say that you're not. But, you know, they're undefeated, they're one of the best, and we think about them."

The Patriots, who played at Baltimore last night, have been rampaging toward a fourth Super Bowl with little resistance. Their biggest setback of the season were the fines and first-round draft pick lost because of spygate.

Speculation has been rampant for weeks about whether New England can become the first team to go unbeaten since the 1972 Dolphins and the first to go 19-0.

"Obviously, you think about it because everybody talked about them because they are undefeated," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "That's all over; everything that has to do with news and sports is the New England Patriots. And deservedly so. They're a great football team offensively, defensively. It's going to be a challenge for us and we're going to have to come out and play great football."

The Steelers have not done that on offense recently, although they did snap out of it for a while Sunday night in a 24-10 victory against Cincinnati by scoring three touchdowns.

Since a 31-28 comeback victory Nov. 11 against Cleveland, the Steelers have bogged down on offense. They managed just 16 points and 263 yards in an overtime loss to the lowly New York Jets, then gained 216 yards in the Heinz Field muck in a 3-0 win against the winless Dolphins.

They produced another sub-300 yard output against the Bengals, but a rousing performance from their defense helped win the game.

The Steelers have the No. 1 defense in the NFL in yards allowed (230.8) and points allowed (12.9), and they will need all of it because the Patriots' offense has been unstoppable most of the year.

While going 11-0, New England scored on average 40.2 points per game, nearly eight more than anyone else, and averaged 434.4 yards, the only team in the NFL getting more than 400 a game.

"They can beat everybody by 50," Foote said, "but I'd still like our chances when we go in there because there's only one Pittsburgh Steelers defense and only one Pittsburgh Steelers team, so we don't really compare with other teams."

The Steelers say they respect the Patriots but are not in awe of them.

"Some teams might be starstruck by them," said tackle Max Starks. "They have all the big-name guys. They went into free agency and got a lot of high-dollar receivers to complement their quarterback and everything and their offensive line.

"Some defenses might be, 'Oh my gosh, I'm going against Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Donte' Stallworth! Tom Brady's the quarterback!' Some people might get enamored with that. But I definitely don't see that in our defense. Our defense doesn't really care who's across from them."

The Steelers stopped a New England winning streak before. In 2004 they beat the Patriots, 34-20, at Heinz Field to end their winning ways at 21 consecutive games, an NFL record. It was the only bright spot this century against New England, a series that's all too painfully familiar to the Steelers and their fans. They lost four other games this century to the Patriots, two of them at home in AFC championship games in the 2001 and '04 seasons.

"They have a lot of numbers," Foote said. "Those types of offenses, like the Bengals, are going to move the ball and they're going to make plays. Hold them to field goals and you'll be in there at the end of the game. Hopefully, we get some turnovers to go our way. I like this defense. I like this team, so we're ready to take on everybody."

New England, though, isn't just anybody. This season, to borrow from the late John Facenda when speaking of the Steelers dynasty in the 1970s, there are 31 teams in the NFL, and then there are the New England Patriots.

"We just have to bring our 'A' game," safety Tyrone Carter said, "and not get caught up in the hype: 'They're undefeated. They're a dynasty team.' We just have to go in and be physical and things should happen for us."
    So much for that whole, "focus on the next game" concept I guess

Well now it's here, it's time to put up or shut up ! The Pats got beaten up against the Eagles and the Ratbirds got real physical on them as well so it's now or never for us. To be the best you have to beat the best !

obviously theyve been thinking about it....theyve been thinking about it as much as we have lol...all of you say your not...but you have been lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Well of course we have been, but we're allowed too Really though I thought about it here and there but as inconsistent as we've been against teams we should beat there wasn't time to focus on them too much. The time is now or never and we need to go in there and stick it to them !

ive been thinking about it since the schedule came out lol...them being undefeated would make it oh so sweet....again

willie will have a bounce back effort

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    As we saw tonight the Ratbirds showed again that the Pats are susceptible to the run and if you can get a push on them and get the run game going you can wear them out but what the Ratbirds found out just like the Eagles and Colts is that you have to put them away and score every chance you get. Capitalize on every turnover and don't let them hang around because they can score in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    As we saw tonight the Ratbirds showed again that the Pats are susceptible to the run and if you can get a push on them and get the run game going you can wear them out but what the Ratbirds found out just like the Eagles and Colts is that you have to put them away and score every chance you get. Capitalize on every turnover and don't let them hang around because they can score in a heartbeat.
    Exactly. I said during the Eagles game that the Eagles were playing chicken with the Pats, and that can't end well for the Eagles, both because the Eagles are chokers, and because the Pats aren't. Baltimore was kind of in the same situation. We can't let them stick around, or the old 3 point Pats will come back to bite us again. We have to put them away if/when we have the chance.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    For us to win...Willie needs to start running the ball, he can't be the RB that he was against the Bungholes (fumbles). Pressure Brady all day and knock him down all day, we don't necessarily need sacks but he needs to feel us on every down. Smack Moss, Stallworth and Walker in the mouth all day whether its a run play or a pass play. I'm more worried about Welker then the other 2. We can shutdown Moss and Stallworth mainly cuz they don't like to get hit. LeBeau needs to come up with his best stuff next week, things no one has seen before.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    For us to win...Willie needs to start running the ball, he can't be the RB that he was against the Bungholes (fumbles). Pressure Brady all day and knock him down all day, we don't necessarily need sacks but he needs to feel us on every down. Smack Moss, Stallworth and Walker in the mouth all day whether its a run play or a pass play. I'm more worried about Welker then the other 2. We can shutdown Moss and Stallworth mainly cuz they don't like to get hit. LeBeau needs to come up with his best stuff next week, things no one has seen before.
    Good stuff Diesel I think Willie is the key to this whole week for us. If we can get him going then it opens everything else up for us because the Pats are susceptible to the run. If we can't run it's going to be a big detriment to us because Belicheck can just bring the heat and dare us to try and avoid the rush all day long. Ben is capable of beating the blitz but the OL has got to block like they've never blocked before and get a good push in the running game.

I also think we need to take some chances and throw the ball deep on them to keep them on their toes, loosen up that pass rush, and maybe get some completions or pass interference calls to go our way. A few big plays can be huge for us as long as they are calculated and executed properly because the last thing we need is more int's in a game. We've got the weapons on our offense just like the Pats do so it's not like they can lineup and double cover everybody anymore than we can against them. Turnovers will be huge.

Gold Standard

Punishing Football

I think if we are to beat the Patriots we need to be the more physical team. Gotta punish those receivers after the catch.

• Our O-line will need to control the line of scrimmage.
    • We need to control the clock. Have to win the time of possession stat.
    • Got to pressure Tom Brady. We cannot send a 3 man rush and allow him to take a look at all his checkdowns. Somebody will be open.
    • If we go into the 4th quarter with the lead we cannot get conservative with the playcalling and give the ball to the Patriots offense. Must remain aggressive with our playcalling and make some 1st downs! If Baltimore had done that last night they would have won. You cannot give Tom Brady the ball with 3 minutes left and down by less than a touchdown! That's a formula for a loss.

If we can do these things we will have a good shot at escaping with a win. Our team does have the weapons and the talent to beat the Patriots but we will need to play mistake free football.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

The other thing i noticed is that they are kinda self destructive on Defense... when they gave up first downs/ touchdowns there was alot of finger pointing (mostly the classless rodney harrison) i think we can impose our will (<--- +1 for the cowherism) on that defense!!

Thread Information