Thread: Team not dwelling on MNF loss

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Team not dwelling on MNF loss

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story/?ID=178059&hubname=nfl

Canadian Press

9/19/2006 4:10:08 PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher is not ready to panic after his team's listless performance in a 9-0 loss to Jacksonville.

Despite losing a meaningful game for the first time in 10 outings, Cowher said it was too early to get alarmed about the defending Super Bowl champions or any player.

"I'm not ready to assess people's play after one game or two games," Cowher said Tuesday, about 12 hours after his team was shut out for the first time in almost three years. "Let's let this thing play out four or five games to find some tendencies that take place that you might have to address or you might have to expand on."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was among those who did not look sharp. Roethlisberger was making his first appearance of the season after a tumultuous few months. He was in a serious motorcycle accident June 12 and, seemingly fully recovered from the resulting facial surgery, underwent an emergency appendectomy Sept. 3.

Roethlisberger had flu-like symptoms during the game that were unrelated to the appendectomy. Cowher said reports that his quarterback had a 104-degree fever were erroneous and that, in fact, Roethlisberger's temperature was 100.4. Roethlisberger completed 17 of 32 passes for 141 yards and threw two interceptions.

"When you go from pre-season to regular season, everybody's going through that period of acclimation to the speed of the game," Cowher said. "The speed does go up going into the regular season, but it does for the other team, as well. But when you come into it the second week of the season and (the opponent) already has been through that first week of acclimation, it's tough."

Pittsburgh produced only 152 yards of offense and advanced past midfield only once - to the Jaguars 46. But the Steelers' 26 yards on the ground was more of a culprit, and Cowher said he never considered inserting backup quarterback Charlie Batch, who played well the previous week in a win over Miami.

Cowher noted that Roethlisberger and top receiver Hines Ward had not even practised together for more than a month until last week. Ward sat out much of training camp with a hamstring injury.

"There's no substitute for playing time," Cowher said. "And we have (now) gotten Ben that."

Cowher said the team sustained no major injuries or aggravations of previous injuries Monday, but All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu's shoulder injury visibly impeded him during the game. Cowher said he would know more Wednesday about Polamalu's status for Sunday's showdown with division rival Cincinnati.

The Bengals rank fourth in the league in scoring and ninth in total offense, so it is clear the Steelers' offence will have to produce Sunday.

"The most important thing is, as I told the players last night, is not to dwell on it," Cowher said. "It would serve no purpose. We've got to learn from it, but the biggest thing is to get our minds focused when we come in here tomorrow on a divisional opponent, the defending division champs. Stay focused on that and be ready to move on."

Sounds like Bill is getting the team fired up and looking forward Ben being alot more sharp after his first game.

House of Steel
    Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i really expect them to play like champions against those scumbags next week

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    I feel sorry for those pussycats from cincy. NOT Time to kick Bengal but.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I've always been proud of this team and the way they respond after a bad game...here's to a great *** kicking courtesy of the Black n Gold !

My Mood
    Addicted
    This is a big game for us. We can't afford to be down 2 games already going into a buy week. That and the Ravens are also playing decent ball and have an easier schedule compared to us.
    I think losing to the Jaguars was almost a blessing. It should get them focused for this game.

At first I thought it was wrong to play Ben, but it may have been the right thing to do. He really hadn't played 4 quarters of football since the SB, and with Ward out with a hammie, we have two of our top playmakers on totally different pages.

I expect Ben and Ward will be putting in a lot of extra time at the office this week getting their timing down. If there is one thing the Steelers can do it's respond in a big way after basically being embarrassed on Monday night! I've said this ever since about a minute to go in the game... I feel sorry for the Bengals this week, especially coming to the 'Burgh!

House of Steel
    I am not sorry, they brought this on, and now they are going to get what comes out of the horse's own mouth. A major kick in the mouth.

My Mood
    Addicted
    It's a long season. Time to focus on those Bengals. We need to put the "division champs" in their place lol.

Thread Information