SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed

Versatility a bonus from Steelers' Townsend

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_539449.html

By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, November 24, 2007

Steelers right cornerback Deshea Townsend prepared himself during training camp for the new role that coach Mike Tomlin said he may have to assume Monday night against the Miami Dolphins at Heinz Field.

Strong safety Troy Polamalu is out with a sprained knee. Tyrone Carter will start for Polamalu. That leaves a vacancy behind Carter since backup Grant Mason joined the team a little more than a week ago and hasn't played in an NFL game.

Enter Townsend, who will fill in at safety and play wherever the team needs him. "I like playing corner, but I'm going to do whatever this team needs me to do,'' said Townsend, a 10-year veteran with 18 career interceptions. "This (playing safety) works out in my favor because when we play the nickel it's kind of like a strong safety in a lot of instances. It wouldn't be new for me to get down in the box because when I go inside and play, I'm in the box a lot.''

Tomlin mentioned Townsend's versatility last week when he said Townsend practiced at safety during training camp just for situations like this one.

With veteran Ryan Clark out for the season, the Steelers need more veteran experience at safety. Townsend, who has been a full-time starter since 2004, was considered the best candidate to make the switch from cornerback.
    "Deshea is safety capable. We spent some time in training camp working with him at that position,'' Tomlin said. "Actually we spent quite a bit of time for instances such as these.''

Townsend will open at right cornerback against the Dolphins. But he could switch to strong safety in the event of injury or in certain packages. When that occurs, Bryant McFadden likely will replace Townsend at cornerback.
    "It wouldn't be anything different, but it'll be the first time for me having to make some checks,'' said Townsend, who interected his second pass of the season last week against the New York Jets. "It's all about getting lined up, reading your keys and going to the football.

"TC (Carter) will do fine, he'll do great. But if anything happens to him, I'll be ready.''
    When told that former Steelers cornerback Rod Woodson extended his career when he switched to safety, Townsend said he considers himself a cornerback first but that anything is possible in the future.
    "As of right now, I'm enjoying playing corner,'' Townsend said Friday. "If (playing safety) can get me three or four more years in the league, I'll most definitely try it on for size. I'll do whatever's asked.''

If not for Troy, A-Smith and Clark i would like to see Deshea move to safety an finish his career here. He is the best corner we have at making plays on the ball which could yield him plenty of picks at Safety

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    So Towsend is going to do a Carnell Lake for us....Deshea is playing very well this year, he's definitely stepped up and assumed the role in the secondary as the veteran leader that the rest of the secondary can look to. He was one of the few that actually played well in the Jets game. This switch should allow McFadden to get a lot more experience too so it works out well for us I think.

even though hes a midget, hes got good hands, is a good blitzer and a pretty sure tackler....dont really see safety as being a strong point for him though.

mcfadden and Ike should be our corners anyway imo, with deshea playing alot in nickel.....hes a hell of a nickel back

2nd String
    i like townsend attitude, man we have 2 get it 2gether we should b looking at going 2 9-2, we can't afford 2 lose no more than 1 game..............

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    even though hes a midget, hes got good hands, is a good blitzer and a pretty sure tackler....dont really see safety as being a strong point for him though.

mcfadden and Ike should be our corners anyway imo, with deshea playing alot in nickel.....hes a hell of a nickel back
    I think he might be able to excel at safety, he's got the speed and instincts to go after the pass but also he's a sure tackler to be able to play close to the line so he might surprise us...atleast I hope so..LOL

Thread Information