Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers lacking Porter's fire

Bookmark and Share

Steelers lacking Porter's fire

Link to story...
    Joey Porter's homecoming couldn't come at a better time.

His current team is winless.

And Porter's former team is 7-3 but reeling in the wake of what happened on Sunday against a one-win collection of New York Jets.

"The issue for us is us," a clearly perturbed Mike Tomlin assessed after the Jets had stunned the Steelers, 19-16, in overtime.

The issue at present is figuring out why the Steelers aren't the Steelers on the road against teams that don't call the AFC North Division home.

Based on the postgame reaction at Giants Stadium, and what the Steelers put on tape in Arizona and in Denver, the Steelers' problem there is intangible at least as much as it is schematic.

Defensive end Brett Keisel talked of the Steelers being "flat" and "on our heels."

Wide receiver Hines Ward used the word "grind" to describe what the Steelers were going through.

And quarterback Ben Roethlisberger referenced on three occasions the Jets' physicality, including the following apparently unintentional indictment of what the Steelers have become:

"They were probably the more physical team, and I think it showed," Roethlisberger said.

Can you imagine what Porter's reaction might have been had such heresy been uttered on his watch from the confines of his locker room?

It was Porter, you might recall, who screamed bloody murder at the mere suggestion that the Colts had been the more physical team when they had beaten the Steelers, 26-7, back in November 2005.

And it was Porter, you'll remember, who never failed to achieve a foaming-at-the-mouth state prior to games.

On one occasion, that got him thrown out of a game before the game had actually begun, but Porter was always ready to defend the Steelers' identity.

The current collection, admittedly, is not.

Perhaps Peazy's presence will rekindle what's been lacking along those lines.

That's not likely to come from Mike Tomlin, who is more Chuck Noll than he is Bill Cowher in approach.

And it's not likely to come from James Harrison, Porter's replacement at right outside linebacker.

Harrison registered a sack against the Jets, giving him 7 1/2 on the season, surpassing the seven Porter registered in 2006.

But Harrison doesn't have Porter's personality. None of the Steelers do.

And they seemingly miss it, at least periodically.

Perhaps seeing Peazy again will provide a reminder as to the combination of joy and rage the Steelers have to play with to be the Steelers, even if Peazy will be wearing teal.

It'll take more than that, of course, for the Steelers to get where they want to go.

Still, their mantra moving forward should be: "Don't Leave Home Without It."

There's not much the Steelers can do about the offensive line, the special teams or the inconsistency of "Fast" Willie Parker at this point.

Those aspects of their game are what they are and will have to be worked around, as they had been prior to the Jets game.

But it is within the Steelers' control to make sure that they never again have to acknowledge that they were "flat" and that the other team was "more physical."

Those were always fightin' words to Porter.

The Steelers would do well to resume taking such accusations personally.
    Does Prisuta have a point???

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is what I was worried about with losing Porter, that firing up the team hellfire and brimstone wake up call that rallied the troops. Joey wasn't the type of player that I think Tomlin cares to have on his squad in terms of his trash talking and fiery personality but still this is a time when we need the locker room to come together and however they do it it needs to get done.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    This is what I was worried about with losing Porter, that firing up the team hellfire and brimstone wake up call that rallied the troops. Joey wasn't the type of player that I think Tomlin cares to have on his squad in terms of his trash talking and fiery personality but still this is a time when we need the locker room to come together and however they do it it needs to get done.
    >>That fire comes back Monday, and this time it is directed at us!
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    we ain't missing **** from this bum, we lost these types of games even without him..........porter was cut for a reason, he sucks *** now, and will only continue to get worse, his mouth didn't really win us games......... so no, we are not missing his fire
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Marvel and Willie better be ready because Joey mixes it up alot. On a normal day Marvel can handle Joey I have little doubt of that. Colon on the other hand though Im not so sure about. I'd bet we'll use Heath or Matt Spaeth as an extra guy on his side or keep a back in to chip him if he gets through just to be safe. We'll see though, his fire yes I do miss but our LB's have been doing more than adequate to say the least

My Mood
    Angry
    I'm really starting to have second thoughts about Tomlin now as the head coach!!

Sure...he doesn't have to be a "spit-flyer" like Bill Cowher but I've seen more emotion, animation and inspiration from a front window mannequin at Macy's or JC Penney's.
    If you want to come back with the arguement that Chuck Noll wasn't a vocal/inspirational leader we can have that debate when Mike wins his Fourth Superbowl.

Say what you like about Bill Belichick but at least his teams don't come out and lay eggs against inferior teams that they're supposed to beat.

This team has come out and played like the walking dead both mentally and physically on three different occasions and like it or not it's on Tomlin's head.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    a coach jumping and spitting doesn't help the team, we were what 2-6 around this time, and cowher was acting like his usual dumb**** self and it didn't inspire teh team one bit........... it's the fact that tomlin has to much trust in his corrdinators is what's ****ing the team up, arians was a position coach for a reason, cause he sucks *** at playcalling
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    a coach jumping and spitting doesn't help the team, we were what 2-6 around this time, and cowher was acting like his usual dumb**** self and it didn't inspire teh team one bit........... it's the fact that tomlin has to much trust in his corrdinators is what's ****ing the team up, arians was a position coach for a reason, cause he sucks *** at playcalling
    I agree that Cowher's act of motivating had grown very stale his last few seasons but to go to the other extreme of having a head coach who is practically like a Zombie on the sideline doesn't help either.

This team sounds like it lacking leadership and motivation from the highest place which is Mike Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    we ain't missing shiat from this bum, we lost these types of games even without him..........porter was cut for a reason, he sucks *** now, and will only continue to get worse, his mouth didn't really win us games......... so no, we are not missing his fire
    well, that and get out of that million dollar bonus.
    Harrison will rise up again!
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

I do think we miss Peezy's emotion. I think we lost alot when Bettis retired and Peezy was let go. We may have replaced them with younger, more productive players, but we haven't replaced their leadership and emotion. Those guys were the heart and soul of the offense and defense respectively. They gave us our identity as a hard nosed, smashmouth, physical football team, and they never let us forget that that's what Steelers football is all about. Talent can win games, and will make you a good team. But a great team has talent and intangibles, and we don't have enough intangibles.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Thread Information