Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devistating loss here today...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    panthers-hater

Devistating loss here today...

First off, I have no problem coming on here admitting I was wrong saying the Steelers would win this game easily and win every game up until New England. I looked at this game as a gimmie which for all practical purposes it should have been but I think after today this team has proven losing to a team like the Jets how much more problems they really do have then we are willing to admit. The playcalling sucked today, taking a knee there the last play with 3 timeouts and still near midfield was just dumb. Playing not to lose late in the game up 16-13 calling conservative run plays with Carey Davis of all people and not going for the kill in the end, and hated the way the defense just let Clemens march down the field with 1 timeout to tie the game with a FG in the last few minutes before overtime. The bottom line is this loss pretty much costs the Steelers a bye week and a number 2 seed as they hand wrapped an early Christmas present to the Colts today giving them back the 2 seed and control of it when they had control of it had they won out, because chances are they are going to lose to New England for sure, and probably another game at some point to maybe someone like the Rams or even Baltimore who knows. This offensive line is putrid, and shame on Mike Tomlin for the 3rd time this year not having this team prepared to play on the road against an inferior team like the Jets much like he didnt have them prepared to play in Denver and in Arizona. The Steelers now must refocus on winning the division because at this point that is not lock either. The Browns with their miracle win today over the Ravens combined with the Steelers loss are just one game now again with the Steelers of course still having the head to head tiebraker in hand. This Steelers team had better fix these Special Teams problems and the blocking on the offensive line because both are just insanely bad. Reed squibbing every kick to the 30 yard line is not gonna fix this teams Special Teams problems at all. This Steelers team is still very good I think in a lot of ways, but they had better fix these offensive line issues with getting Ben sacked and the special teams problems because if they dont its going to be a quick one and done come playoff time. There is just no way anyway I see this Steelers team at this point and time beating the Patriots December 9th or in the playoffs when you cant even beat a team like the Jets. This loss today just really really screwed the Steelers chances of getting that bye week over Indy which was so key for playoff time, and really going far in the playoffs. Everytime this team plays on the road for the rest of this season now under Tomlin I will worry because he just flat out does not have this team ready to play on the road the same as he does at home and its a big big problem and it needs fixed and fixed fast.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    but I think after today this team has proven losing to a team like the Jets how much more problems they really do have then we are willing to admit
    The problems have been there they've just been masked because we were 7-2 going into this game and the 2nd seed in the AFC...now we're the 3rd seed and playing like we can't get out of our own way.

This team hid their special teams woes as much as any team could but pooch kicking away from Washington all day until the overtime... if Im tomlin I tell Sepulveda to kick that **** out of bounds ! It just goes to show you can't hide the OL problems forever.

credit the Jets because they are a better team than their records indicates but still losing to a 1-8 team when you're up 3 with 2 minutes to is inexcusable. We let the Broncos do the same thing. This team is no longer the road warriors they used to be. I used to be glad to see us go on the road because it united us and brought the team closer together to win in a hostile environment...now we're on the road playing like a junior varsity squad !

My Mood
    panthers-hater
    You can always tell early on in these road games when the opposing team scores real quick like the Broncos did and the Jets did today that the Steelers were in for a rough day. The playcalling too needs to open up more in particular in the red zone. The Steelers just seemed as if today they played too much for FGS thinking the Jets were that bad that it would be enough to hold them off. Well guess what guys it wasnt. They had a chance to go for the throat many times late in this game and just dumb penalties and sacks totally messed that up and ruined everything. Mike Tomlin just does not have this team ready to play on the road as much as he does at home for some reason it just seems like. Dont be surprised if the Steelers an egg in St Louis or Baltimore late in the year as well. Like Hines Ward said after the game too many missed assignments on the offensive line, and he also said the Steelers are a good team not a great team yet, and great teams would have found a way to win that game. This loss just really stings because now the Steelers dont control their own destiny for that all important bye week and the number 2 seed over the Colts. However,still a lot of games left here the Steelers got the next 2 games at home in primetime against Miami and Cincy and I full expect this team to bounce back in a big way at home the next few weeks, and get to 9-3 and then be in good position to clinch the North over the Browns still,and still have a shot to get the bye week over the Colts.

My, my how your tune has changed, Honestly all they did was expose weaknesses most of the people on this board knew we had. yes this loss hurts but it is not the end of the world. The jets threw schemes at them the Oline that weren't expected and it showed !! Anybody else realize that when a team, denver or jets, have an extra week to prepare the defense looks a little more beatable?? I just glad the bye weeks are done. It's a loss, it sucks but time to get over it and move onto the fishies !!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

2nd String
    u know what the problem is we allways start games slow, we r an horrible road team this year,our o-line sucks, our special teams has dissapeared,it's like were falling apart, is it me or do we look tired out there?do u think mike work the boys 2 hard this summer? why r we playing 4-3 more than 3-4?why would u pass when najeh was running well an it's 3rd an 2i'm sorry willie has no vision i c why he was benched n north carolina, when gary russell gets n next year, watch out willie............man the o-line needs an serious make over,the 4-3 doesn't fits us, we need 2 stay with the 3-4 whenever we can put some distance between us an the rest of the afcn we mess up bad!!!!

Draft Pick
    Sometimes haveing the weaknesses exposed can be a good thing..........if they can be fixed by next week!

Born in Steeler Country......Living in WhoDeyLand

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Sometimes haveing the weaknesses exposed can be a good thing..........if they can be fixed by next week!
    You and your pumpkin bread! (yummy, btw) Don't be so damned chipper! lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    These weaknesses were exposed against Denver and since then it's been apparent just how glaring they are but we've managed to keep them in check because of a combination of a subpar competition, stellar play from Ben, and big plays on our defense at the right time but the more we play the more our OL and ST woes are exposed with translates into a pending disaster.

My Mood
    Angry
    I agree that this game was a Huge Loss for the Steelers and has put the Browns back in the Steelers rear view mirror.

The Browns have a favorable schedule the rest of the way while the Steelers still have to contend with the Pats and the Jags.........and possibly Baltimore once more in a game where they'll want some payback and could be playing to knock the Steelers out of the playoffs??

If the Steelers aren't careful they could blow the division lead and say good-bye to the playoffs all together.
    As much as I hate to say but even if the Steelers close out the season as division champs they are One and Done in the playoffs.

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    This week better be a wake-up call or things could turn ugly quick the schedule it getting more difficult and there is NO room for error...... Need to start on MNF against joey and the fins

Thread Information