Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes to the OL or not ?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Changes to the OL or not ?

At this point with the OL still having troubles putting together a consistent effort each week do we make changes and try to spark something or just stick with what we have?

At this point IMO the best 5 that we have are on the field now. Making changes half way through the season is more than likely only going to set them back. According to Kendall Simmons in a recent article in the Trib he said that "we're getting close," Simmons said. "Sometimes it might take the whole season (for an offensive line to jell). We're getting better communicating, knowing where everybody is supposed to be."

We all know the OL will need to be addressed this coming offseason partly because of need with Faneca most likely gone but also because we just really need some fresh blood instilled into that unit. The backups had their chance to step up this training camp when Tomlin had an open competition so at this point it is what it is and we just have to hope they can get more consistent the more they work together.

Like you said our best 5 are already playing,,,,,,,, We have to live with what
    we got !
    What we all wanted in the draft,we never got,so I really believe next draft
    we'll get an O-Lineman,,,,,,,,,Let's just hope these 5 really start clicking by season's end ~~~~

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I didn't really expect us to have a big rushing day against the ratbirds, I don't think anybody did. They are good at stopping the run and they were definitely selling out to do so.

The good thing about this team rather than years past is that when teams sell out to stop the run, Ben can go to work and tear them apart. If they continue to stack the line then we can continue to pass and score TD's. If they want to sit back and stop the pass then we'll just run Willie and Najeh all day against them. The OL still has to come together and continue to improve because the toughest part of the schedule is just ahead.

i say we leave the ol only i like it the why it is.

Right you are TG,,,,,,,,,,, But we all know that our pass protection is really lacking
    Good thing Big Ben is a mobile QB

Thank God we have Ben!!! He is the only QB I would take in this league with our OL troubles.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Better start breaking in Faneca's replacement.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

2nd String
    our o-line sucks, but i'll give them credit because they blocked thet rat bird defense pretty good, but we have given up 19 sacks,this is not good!!! our o-line has 2 get it 2gether but at this point i say live an die with what u have!!!

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Leave the line alone for now and work on it in the draft!

Quote Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
    Leave the line alone for now and work on it in the draft!
    I have to agree here...

Also, we have to remember that Ben is responsible for calling the offensive blocking schemes right now, so a few of the sacks may be his misread.

Beyond that, why mess with the line now? We take what we got now as far as we can, then retool in the spring.

I also prefer NOT to re-tool with draft picks across the line. I would rather have a FA in place of Fanaca... and then get round 1 and round 2 picks to push simmons and Smith (8th year, and some say he is not playing to the level he used to).

I am happy with Mahan and the jury is out on Colon, so I don't think we worry about him yet.

Thread Information