Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Clark, Jerame Tuman placed on IR...sign Marvin Philip

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Ryan Clark, Jerame Tuman placed on IR...sign Marvin Philip

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07318...?cmpid=HBEHTML

The Steelers have placed safety Ryan Clark and tight end Jerame Tuman on injured reserve, ending their seasons.

Clark has an inflamed spleen that was discovered after he played Oct. 21 at Denver. Tuman has had a disc problem in his back and has not played in three of the past four games.

Clark was the starting free safety before his condition was discovered. Anthony Smith replaced him as the starter the past three games. Tuman was the team's No. 3 tight end.

The Steelers signed center Marvin Philip from their practice squad to their 53-man roster and still have one spot left on that roster after eliminating Clark and Tuman.

Running takes toll

All that running might be taking a toll on Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger, who has made many plays on the run and after he has been chased out of the pocket this season, likely won't practice today because of various injuries.

"It's a lot of things," coach Mike Tomlin said. "It is his hip, his shoulder. He is banged up a little bit. That is the nature of it."

Tomlin was quick to note that Roethlisberger should be fine as the week goes on and start Sunday against the New York Jets.

So, too, should halfback Willie Parker (knee) and cornerback Deshea Townsend (ankle), although both also are likely to join Roethlisberger along the sideline in practice today. Backup linebackers Andre Frazier (groin) and LaMarr Woodley (hamstring) are questionable.

Only two quarterbacks have more yards rushing than Roethlisberger's 135 -- Vince Young of Tennessee with 217 and Jason Campbell of Washington with 147. Roethlisberger's 7.5-yard average on his 18 carries, though, dwarfs the others.

Taunting addressed

Tomlin said he talked to Smith about a taunting penalty the safety received Sunday after tackling Jamal Lewis and then lingering over him.

"You can't get taunting penalties," Tomlin said. "That is a dumb penalty."

Smith tackled Lewis for a yard gain to the Steelers' 2 on second down. It should have brought up third-and-goal for the Browns. Instead, they had a first down at the 1 and scored a touchdown for a 14-3 lead early in the second quarter.
    I'll be interested to see who we bring on to stick into that open roster spot. I would think we'll probably bring in a DB from the PS unless they have another option in mind not currently on the team. Signing Philip tells me that Tomlin definitely wants some insurance on the OL.

This is Anthony Smith's time to take hold of the starting spot on the field and run with it. He's been playing well and now he's got his chance to solidify himself as the starter now and in the future.

I really feel for Ryan,,,,,,,,,,He was playing great !

But we should be fine with the headknocker smith ~~~~

Our secondary is where we really have alot of depth,so this won't hurt us,,,,

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    Wish a Speedy recovery to both Clark and Tuman........ A Smith's time to shine and show his stuff out on the turf needs to work on the taunting what he was thinking down there inside the 5 yd line, its a growing process thou and gonna be some heart aches.. Now we will be more of M Spath and of course HEATHHHHHHHHHHHHH Here We GO STEELERS Here We GO!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Tuman is a veteran guy who's been around for a long time and learned from the best in Mark Bruener when he was here so hopefully he'll be able to recover and get a chance to play again for us next year.

As much as i like Ryan Clark i think smith is a better player all around. Better Coverage skills, faster in closing in on the run and when the ball is in the air and works just as well with Troy... not to mention he is probley up there with Adrian Wilson, Sean Taylor and Roy Williams as the hardest hitting safties in the league!!!

Waterboy
    Clark should be able to come back from the spleen problem next season.
    But Tuman will be lucky to come back from a disc problem that could possible be a career ender.
    I have been impressed with Anthony Smiths play the last few weeks. Clark may have a hard time getting the starting spot back from Smith.

AS much as I like to see Smith taking over for Clark I am concerned... I like Smith and hsi hard hitting style he brings to the team but sometimes his emotions get the best of him and he costs the team with stupid penalties, it's kind of like Troy a couple years back... he'd get caught up in the moment and make a stupid penalty that would keep the D on the field when they should be walking off. I just hope he gets that under control because Smith could be a great player!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    this is probably the end of clark here, smith is our future at that saftey spot, and clark isn't going to get starter money to be his back up, i like him, but i feel he's done here
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    AS much as I like to see Smith taking over for Clark I am concerned... I like Smith and hsi hard hitting style he brings to the team but sometimes his emotions get the best of him and he costs the team with stupid penalties, it's kind of like Troy a couple years back... he'd get caught up in the moment and make a stupid penalty that would keep the D on the field when they should be walking off. I just hope he gets that under control because Smith could be a great player!
    Agreed that i dont like to see personal fouls against our defense... but we're talking about one penalty!!! Its not like we're talking about Rodney Harrison, D'Angelo Hall or other known sh*t talkers... he has had 2 occasions that i can recall... last years high-stepping and this personal foul!!! Its football, emotions fly and 9 times out of 10 he wouldnt of been flagged for that. Ill take on 15 yarder a year from smith!!! Look at when we had Chad Scott, he cost us 30 yds a game in P.I. penalties!!! Dont read to much into it, he is a young guy who has alot of heart and plays balls to the wall... we could do alot worse!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    Agreed that i dont like to see personal fouls against our defense... but we're talking about one penalty!!! Its not like we're talking about Rodney Harrison, D'Angelo Hall or other known sh*t talkers... he has had 2 occasions that i can recall... last years high-stepping and this personal foul!!! Its football, emotions fly and 9 times out of 10 he wouldnt of been flagged for that. Ill take on 15 yarder a year from smith!!! Look at when we had Chad Scott, he cost us 30 yds a game in P.I. penalties!!! Dont read to much into it, he is a young guy who has alot of heart and plays balls to the wall... we could do alot worse!!!!
    I have nothing wrong with the penalties but they always seem to come at the wrong time. For some reason I'm thinking their was another penalty from him earlier this year that came after the play (to bad they don't keep track of penalties )

Any how, I wouldn't want him to change a thing because I do like what he brings to the defense. He's always around the ball and making big plays and thunderous hits... he just needs to think about what he's doing after the play and if it could cost his team.

Thread Information