Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's end this Polamalu "having an off year" talk !

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Let's end this Polamalu "having an off year" talk !

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_537074.html

It was unquestionably "The James Harrison Show" against Baltimore, but Troy Polamalu earned accolades as best supporting actor.

Harrison, an outside linebacker, earned AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors for his monster Monday night, one that included nine tackles, three-and-a-half sacks, six quarterback hurries, one interception, three forced fumbles (including one on special teams) and one fumble recovery.

But Polamalu, the Steelers' starting strong safety, was as involved as he was active.

On the Ravens' second third down of the night, it was Polamalu who lined up alongside Harrison to quarterback Steve McNair's left. Offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden blocked Polamalu. Harrison came free and wound up with a sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

On the play that ended the Ravens' second possession, Polamalu blitzed again, which helped free defensive end Brett Keisel to breathe down McNair's neck and register a pass-defensed in close quarters.
    On the Ravens' third possession, Polamalu shot a gap and forced a fumble by running back Willis McGahee. Steelers free safety Anthony Smith recovered.

And on the Ravens' first possession of the second half, another Polamalu blitz helped create havoc and a lane for linebacker James Farrior to drop McNair.
    Polamalu made other plays against the Ravens that were less noticeable but no less essential, in the estimation of Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

"He had a tremendous game," LeBeau said. "I can remember four or five plays that were potentially threatening plays to us that Troy just erased. He does that pretty much on a weekly basis."

Polamalu's impact was more obvious against Baltimore because he spent more time in the vicinity of the line of scrimmage.

"Against a team like Indy, I'm not going to be blitzing every play. I'm going to be dropping (into coverage) a few times, as well," Polamalu said. "A team like Baltimore, where you know they're going to run the ball, I'm going to be doing the opposite.

"It depends on what type of offense we're playing."

His role is subject to change when the Steelers host Cleveland on Sunday, as has been the case from week to week this season.

Polamalu, a second-team All-Pro in 2004 and a first-team All Pro in 2005, is the most decorated of the Steelers' defenders (Farrior made All-Pro once, as a first-team selection in 2004).

Still, Polamalu isn't among the 11 players who have contributed at least half a sack to the Steelers' total of 25, or the six who have combined to intercept seven passes.

Polamalu has made his share of spectacular plays in four-plus seasons, but his true value lies in his ability to prevent opposing offenses from making their's.

"From a coach's viewpoint, when you get a player that's erasing potential big plays on a consistent basis, that's as pretty as a sack or an interception, because those plays win games for you," LeBeau said.

"He's having a great year. He's our last line of defense."

The Steelers' defense ranks No. 1 in the NFL in yards per game (237.8) and points per game (12.3).

Polamalu, who missed the Steelers' win over Seattle on Oct. 7 with a rib injury, has played a leading role in amassing the statistics.

At least that's the way Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards sees it.

"Obviously, No. 43 is the bell cow of that defense," Edwards said.

No matter who winds up being named Player of the Week.
    Troy was all over the field against the Ratbirds this week and the forced fumble he caused was huge. I was watching a short piece on the NFLN last night on Troy and while his Interceptions and pass defenses might not be where they were last year ( and we're only half way through) the man is a leader on that defense and we are a better team with him on the field. There is an entire league of teams that would kill to have a player like Troy on their team.

The new style defense that we play doesn't always allow for quite as much freelance with Polamalu ( you can see he plays off the line alittle more than we're used to seeing ) but still the guy is all over the field and making plays and the offense always has to account for him.

Polamalu has been quiet this year and is not really living up to what we have got accustomed too over the past few years. However, you could easily say that his presence on the field has freed things up for others to accumulate the stats. For example:
    On the Ravens' second third down of the night, it was Polamalu who lined up alongside Harrison to quarterback Steve McNair's left. Offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden blocked Polamalu. Harrison came free and wound up with a sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.
    On the play that ended the Ravens' second possession, Polamalu blitzed again, which helped free defensive end Brett Keisel to breathe down McNair's neck and register a pass-defensed in close quarters.
    On the Ravens' third possession, Polamalu shot a gap and forced a fumble by running back Willis McGahee. Steelers free safety Anthony Smith recovered.
    Maybe offensive guys are focusing so much on him that the other guys on defense are forgot about!

..:: SIXBURGH ::..
    Wether he makes the plays himself or is just a decoy.. hes doing his job. I don't care about his numbers.. he's an impact on the D regardless what his number reflect. Overratted.. absolutely not.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If there was ever a guy that we absolutely had to resign it would be Troy. Players like him don't come around that often and we were smart to move up in the first round to get him. Teams focus on Troy and other players step up, then they'll have to take their focus off Troy and then he'll have higher numbers. You can only avoid a certain player for so long....

That thought never crossed my mind,,,,,,,,,,

He is who he is and I absolutley love his high motor and intensity on the field
    He's a true STEELER through & through

he is doing his job as a safety rest is up to the rest of the defense

My Mood
    panthers-hater
    Well you and I came on here weeks ago TG when 32 the idiot that got banned was ripping Troy up and down for not being an impact or making any big plays or causing disruptions. Now the last 2 games in Cincy and Baltimore the guy has been all over the field and is causing fumbles, and knocking completed passes out of guys hands, and getting in the backfield before the running back has a chance to cut. He has been awesome. Dont mean to toot my own horn but I said Troy would be fine and breakout after the Denver game, much like I been telling everybody on here that the Steelers schedule was winnable and that this team would win 13-14 games. I still feel that the Steelers can run the table and go 14-2. They are going to be favored in every game accept the Pats game, so Vegas is telling you right there that the Steelers are gonna be 13-3 at the very worst. If the Steelers would go 14-2 and end up somehow beating the Pats then all they would have to do then is have the Pats lose one more game somehow along the way and they would get that homefield advantage and number 1 seed.

I'll take 43 in an off year over any other in an on year.period
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

Waterboy
    I dont think that it is an off year. I just think that the steelers defense is better this year, so he doesnt have to do so much on his own

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by SJNez46 View Post
    I just think that the steelers defense is better this year, so he doesnt have to do so much on his own
    I'll second that

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information