Thread: Arians plans to run against the Ravens...also stirs up some controversy

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Arians plans to run against the Ravens...also stirs up some controversy

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07306...?cmpid=HBEHTML

Friday, November 02, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It was a bold day for offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, and it had nothing to do with his play-calling or his game plan for the Baltimore Ravens.

First, he said Ravens safety Ed Reed is better than Troy Polamalu, a comment that might be considered sacrilegious in this town.

Then he guaranteed the Steelers will be able to run the ball against the Ravens when the teams meet Monday night in Heinz Field.

Willie Parker, who leads all National Football League running backs with five 100-yard games, was held to 50 yards on 23 carries in two games against the Ravens last season. Arians said that won't happen again, even though the Ravens have the league's No. 2 rush defense.

"Partly, it was us; we took a pass-first mentality to Baltimore and it backfired," Arians said yesterday after practice. "Last year was last year. All I'm worried about is this year. We're going to run the football, make no bones about it."

Asked if that meant attempt to run the football, Arians said, "No, we're going to run the football."

But his comment about Polamalu, a three-time Pro Bowl selection and the youngest member of the Steelers' 75th anniversary team, might be even more shocking.

"Ed's a great player," Arians said of Reed, a thee-time Pro Bowl selection and the NFL's defensive player of the year in 2004. "I personally think he's the best. I love Troy and I think he's good, but Ed is really good."
    I must say that I like his resolve and attitude but at the same time it makes me my head if you know what I mean.

Also as far as Troy goes and that comment, I would hope he's just being political correct and not trying to stir the pot with bulletin board material but then again why not just keep your mouth shut? unless he's trying to play more mind games.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 11-02-2007 at 07:09 AM.

2nd String
    AGAIN JUST WHAT WE NEED MORE BULLITEN BOARD MATERIAL, WHY CAN'T ARAINS JUST SHUT HIS PIE HOLEWELL OUR BOYS BETTER COME OUT AN AN MAKE IT HAPPEN, MAN WHY CAN'T WE SAVE ALL THAT 4 AFTER AN VICTORY?OR BETTER LET THE FANS, DO THE TRASH TALKING!!!

I think he's just trying to sike Reed out... because I see that as a slap in the face to Troy more than anything.

Someone posted this stat earlier this week... FWP 100 yards = 17-1 record

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    We told the broncos we was going to run and we passed we tell the rats we are going to run ....... so what do you think we will do

Quote Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL View Post
    We told the broncos we was going to run and we passed we tell the rats we are going to run ....... so what do you think we will do
    I was just thinking of this!!

no we're gonna run and run often... we have to run at the 8 man front!!! Not saying its gonna be OVERLY effective but it will force them to to play up the middle... taking away from the outside rush... we need to keep a short field on 3rd down. It would be a good week to break out the "No Huddle" we practiced so much in the preseason!!!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    reed is better than troy, troy only gets love cause he wears a steelers jersey, if reed was here, he'd be god to most of y'all
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    reed is better than troy, troy only gets love cause he wears a steelers jersey, if reed was here, he'd be god to most of y'all
    Imo if Troy was in a Pats or Colts jersey, he would be a god to the whole media.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by black an gold 4 life View Post
    AGAIN JUST WHAT WE NEED MORE BULLITEN BOARD MATERIAL, WHY CAN'T ARAINS JUST SHUT HIS PIE HOLEWELL OUR BOYS BETTER COME OUT AN AN MAKE IT HAPPEN, MAN WHY CAN'T WE SAVE ALL THAT 4 AFTER AN VICTORY?OR BETTER LET THE FANS, DO THE TRASH TALKING!!!

Exactly, I kinda knew it was a mistake getting this guy from Cleveland.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Why play these stupid mind games in the NFL, what ever happened to just shutting up and playing the game. Let them figure out on game day what we're going to do.

Thread Information