Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Matt Jones presents a lofty challenge

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_470997.html

By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, September 18, 2006

It seems inconceivable that a man who stands 6-foot-6 still has a growth spurt in him.
    Truth is, Matt Jones, the tallest in a group of Jacksonville wide receivers who resemble redwoods next to Pittsburgh's defensive backs, may have several of them in his future.

The second-year pro is settling into the position at which he got a crash course last season. The more comfortable Jones gets catching passes instead of throwing them, the more discomfort he figures to cause defenses.

Allow Jaguars quarterback Byron Leftwich to explain.

"I always call him the X-factor, because he's a freak, man," Leftwich said. "Here's a guy, 6-6, 235, 240 pounds, that can run, that can jump, that can catch the good balls, catch the low balls, catch the high balls."

There is no telling what he can do on a football field, considering he set a team record for touchdown receptions (five) by a rookie wide receiver, even though he didn't play the position in college.

Jones starred at quarterback for the University of Arkansas - he is second on the school's all-time list for passing yards and touchdown passes - before the Jaguars made him the 18th overall pick of the 2005 draft and switched his position.

The progress he makes this season took on added importance when Jimmy Smith, the franchise's all-time leading receiver, retired last May.

"I'm not thinking as much right at the beginning of the route, like, should I go inside to start, should I go outside, and just reacting and letting things happen," Jones said during the Jaguars' training camp. "Things are flowing a little better."

Said Leftwich: "Last year at this time, he was still a quarterback in his head and in his mind. This year, he's a wide receiver. He's a guy that worked his tail off, and now he understands the wide receiver position."

The size advantage Jacksonville's wideouts have on Pittsburgh's defensive backs is a concern for Steelers coach Bill Cowher heading into today's 8:30 p.m. game at Alltel Stadium.

Taylor and Townsend can cover these guys but it's good to know that Troy will be around to help on the coverage more so with Deshea.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Size really only matters on a few plays each game. Unless of course they try to game plan around that. If it were that easy they would have done it before now though.
    I don't care who we play, hit the QB and we win.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We play against big WR's all the time so it's not like we aren't used to it. Chris Chambers is a big boy and Ike shut his *** down. We've got enough firepower to take care of them if we play our game.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan
    Size really only matters on a few plays each game. Unless of course they try to game plan around that. If it were that easy they would have done it before now though.
    I don't care who we play, hit the QB and we win.

That is what we need to do and the Steelers win and that goes for any other game, as well as this one.

Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerlyn
    That is what we need to do and the Steelers win and that goes for any other game, as well as this one.

Exactly Lyn! That's what I look for every game we play. If we can do that we win!

Jones is really my only concern on Jacksonville, the dude is a freak! He could become their version of what the Steelers had in ARE, if they ever decide to go that route. Maybe he'll have a sophmore slump this year so the Steelers only need to worry about the other guy... Wilford (I think that's his name)??? The Steelers secondary needs to play better than they did last week, Culpepper helped out a lot and kind of masked the Steelers mess ups.

Thread Information