Thread: Defensive Scheme according to Ogden: seems to make sense

Bookmark and Share

Defensive Scheme according to Ogden: seems to make sense

Last night on The Big J-O Show( actual title, you can't make that stuff up big J O), Ogden was commenting on playing the Steelers. One thing I found interesting was his opinion of how our D should play them to be successful. He said'" Pittsburgh should just play a more conventional style of D. Instead of trying all these different blitz schemes, and blocking stunts. We know that is coming, but if they just played heads up straight D we would probably have more trouble. "
    I thought at first, well that is what makes Steelers D so strong, constant confusion of the offense. Then he made this point: " I have played these guys like 20 times, many of our players have played the Steelers alot. When you play a team so much , you get to know what to expect. We expect 43 to be all over the place and , corners and linebackers blitzing. The suprises have all been planned for. If they played more of a regular D, but LeBeau won't, we would have a more difficult game as we have not prepped for that. In the end we know Dick Lebeau is Dick Lebeau, and we can continue to prepare like we have."
    After listening to all that, I figured he had some valid points.
    I think a more of a traditional scheme on D might be in order.
    We have better players, better matchups, and they have a lot of key questions. I think our better guys lined up man to man with their guys, in the most vanilla of D's have a great advantage. The Bills didn't run any intricate scheme(14pts), or the Browns(13 pts), or even the mighty 9ers D (9pts). It appears that it does not take a herculean effort to shut these cats down.
    I have to believe there is some truth to what the Big J-O says, look at the historical problems we have had in these games. Lots more than lesser teams have with them.
    Maybe I am wrong. But I believe we are a better defensive team than the Browns, 9ers, and Bills. If we ran the same vanilla D they did, with our better personell, we win bigger. Right?
    But the best decision will be made, I am confident. That is why our Defensive Guru is Dick Lebeau not GoBenGeau!
    Thank for listening, comfortable couch.
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

There is an X factor.... in the past they have played a Dick Lebeau defense with a Bill Cowher touch to it. They haven't played a 100% Lebeau defense with maybe a little bit of Tomlin added

2nd String
    bill coward was very conservative, it's going 2 b something new this time around,we will get 2 c the new wrinkles this game, the big j o, is just scared,what guy would ask u 2 play an conventional style of defense, when he has had some success with the old style?doesn't make sense 2 me,i hope we get back 2 the d we play week 1-4, we really need 2 make an statement 2 the afcn, that this is our division, this is the time 2 make an playoff runnnnn

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    There is an X factor.... in the past they have played a Dick Lebeau defense with a Bill Cowher touch to it. They haven't played a 100% Lebeau defense with maybe a little bit of Tomlin added
    That's what I was just thinking reading that, we aren't the same defense we used to be for the last 15 years. We have a lot more options at our disposal now so Im anxious to see how they work this monday night !

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    That's what I was just thinking reading that, we aren't the same defense we used to be for the last 15 years. We have a lot more options at our disposal now so Im anxious to see how they work this monday night !
    Maybe not the past 15 but the last couple of years. Last year included.
    If all these differences are addressed each year, than why are the results so similar. (except for last year, that was an Offense thing as much as a Defense thing). It is just that I see lesser teams handle the Turds and I believe we should expect more. Would you expect them to do the same or less than what they did to buffalo?
    I am excited about Monday Night.
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    Hit em' Hit em' and Hit em' again D............ Bring mcnair to meet the turf all nite

Thread Information