Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psychology or Overconfidence ?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Psychology or Overconfidence ?

"It looks like the handoff might be a pretty nice option on Sunday," Roethlisberger said in obvious reference to Denver's ranking as the worst rush defense in the league.

"I told the wide receivers and Bruce [Arians, offensive coordinator] that I'm going to have to get my throws in before practice, it might be the last throwing I do all week," Roethlisberger said.
    According this article in the PG Denver was all over those comments from Ben as a key motivation for them to stop the run this week and just basically get fired up with bulletin board material that we didn't need to be giving them. Mike S. is a helluva coach and given time to prepare he can be lethal especially given that his team was backed into a corner and playing in "desperate for win" mode. Stacking the line and daring us to throw against them, they blitzed like crazy and took us out of our game for 2 quarters till we rallied in the 4th quarter.

Shannahan also might have been thinking it was a ploy to try and get the Broncos to think we were going to run this week and then we come out passing. It worked because we didn't sell the run for **** in this game and when we did try it was sporatic success until the 4th quarter mostly.

Either way this concerns me a bit:

"I thought we were going into OT," defensive end Brett Keisel said.
    Almost as if we figured that it was good enough to tie it up and they wouldn't try anything in the last minute? Maybe Im wrong on that one but they had 2 timeouts and over a minute to go and we did nothing to shut them down.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 10-22-2007 at 11:04 AM.

They can use whatever they want for motivation , we did not play well. The Defense could not get a stop when we needed it!! I said it before and I'll say it again Shannahand-job given 2 weeks to prepare will be able to expose weaknesses in most teams ,hell he did it enough with that other coach we had

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Gold Standard
    They always talk about quarterbacks needing a short memory to get over the mistakes they make. Bottom line is the offense did their job in the waning minutes. They came back from 2 touchdowns back in the final quarter to give the team a chance to win. The defense is supposed to also rise to the occasion and do their part....they did not. Denver drove right down the field on our defense like it wasn't even there. Had to know that Jason Elam was not going to miss if he got within range. Still thought it showed a lot of character to avoid panic and come back from 2 touchdowns in the final quarter. Yes, it was a loss. There will probably be a couple more of those. I still like our chances to win this division and I never really expected us to compete for home field throughout anyway. Would be nice to host one of those wild-card games. Forget about it! Go crush the Bungels!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    They always talk about quarterbacks needing a short memory to get over the mistakes they make. Bottom line is the offense did their job in the waning minutes. They came back from 2 touchdowns back in the final quarter to give the team a chance to win. The defense is supposed to also rise to the occasion and do their part....they did not. Denver drove right down the field on our defense like it wasn't even there. Had to know that Jason Elam was not going to miss if he got within range. Still thought it showed a lot of character to avoid panic and come back from 2 touchdowns in the final quarter. Yes, it was a loss. There will probably be a couple more of those. I still like our chances to win this division and I never really expected us to compete for home field throughout anyway. Would be nice to host one of those wild-card games. Forget about it! Go crush the Bungels!

That's the bottom line right there because in this back to back road game stretch that we have we cannot afford to lose both of them. I want to see us go out and take it to the bengals and end any hopes they have of making a successful season out of 2007 by getting up on them early and crushing their will. It's imperative we prepare like never before and not let anything go overlooked. If we are going to run the ball then do it. If we're going to pass then do it but whatever we decide we cannot afford to be spouting anything off whether its some psychological ploy or just shooting our mouths off at the wrong time. We need to shut up and take care of business.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post

Yeah the team can't dwell on the loss but they also have to keep it in the back of their heads that they need to showup every week and play the game. Just cuz we're goin up against the worst rushing D in the league doesn't guarantee a win, these guys are pro's and they should already know it doesn't take much to get the other team motivated, hell even a winless team plays for pride.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Pride was the main factor last night for the Broncos. Lynch said in a post game interview that they can motivate their young guys all they want but until they actually win and show it on the field it doesn't mean a thing. They wanted this game more than anything last night. They gave us their best shot and we still could have and should have sent it to OT atleast.

Denver had a lot of emotion last night. They were playing for the guys they've lost in the last year plus on top of that you add Bens comments, so they had all the right ingredients to pull off the W. Plus it helps when your QB throws to INT's and has a fumble that is returned for a TD.

You can really look at Ben's comments in two ways. The first being he was trying to sike out Denver to say they were going to run the ball down their throats knowing full well the Steelers were going to come and pass pass pass just like they did. Or you can look at this as Ben was being overconfident.

Based on his performance alone I would say he was over confident. When your QB throws the kind of picks he did you can only think that he felt he was untouchable.

It's over though, chalk this up as a loss and it's time to move on to week 8.

2nd String
    YEA BUT 2 GIVE AN TEAM EXTRA INCENTIVE I THOUGHT BEN WAS BEING 2 COCKY TAKING SHOTS AT THERE RUN DEFENSE, HE JUST GAVE THEM MORE MOVTIVATION 2 STOP WILLIE WHICH THEY DID,WELL ACTUALLY WE STOPPED WILLIE HE RAN PRETTY WELL , WE DIDN'T STAY WITH IT,SO MEMO 2 BEN FOCUS ON GETTING THE O-LINE OF UR OWN TEAM STRONG U HAVE 2 MANY O-LINE PROBLEMS 2 WORRY ABOUT, INSTEAD OF WORRYING ABOURT OTHER TEAMS!!!!

Rookie Free Agent
    Another dissapointing loss the O-line is terrible Ben is consistently running for his life..The Def couldn't get off the field on third down hopefully we take care of buisness this week

I don't know if it was overconfidence, but the Steelers did not look like they were up for this game. Denver did, and they won.

Anyway, this loss should help with that overconfidence problem!
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Thread Information