SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed

Steelers' Miller continues quiet climb

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_532195.html

By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, October 12, 2007

After the Steelers beat the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday, reporters were as eager to ask to ask Heath Miller about a questionable holding call as they were to ask about the touchdown reception that gave his team the only points it needed.

"It was a hold against me," Miller said of the play the negated a big gain on a Najeh Davenport catch-and-run, "and there's nothing we can do about it now."

The response was typical of Miller. Looking for a spicy soundbite, anything within three time zones of controversial? Keep walking past the third-year pro. Not surprising, Miller's emergence as one of the best tight ends in the NFL has been rather quiet. That's what happens when you play in an offense that is still predicated on the run and your quotes are so vanilla they ought to come with a bottle of chocolate sauce.

What Miller lacks in style, he certainly makes up for in substance. He is the Steelers' leading receiver (17 receptions) through their first five games, and the 6-foot-5, 256-pounder's yards per catch (14.2) and receiving yards (241) rank second and seventh, respectively, among NFL tight ends.

"I think he's one of the better tight ends," said ESPN analyst Mike Ditka, who made the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a tight end. "He's a good, all-around football player. He's probably not going to get the recognition that a lot of other tight ends get, but when I watch him play, he deserves it."

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wouldn't argue with that.
    Miller has been one of Roethlisberger's favorite targets since the Steelers took the University of Virginia product with the 30th overall pick of the 2005 draft.
    The two, who are roommates on the road, looked like they were playing pitch-and-catch against the Seahawks when Roethlisberger saw Miller in single coverage in the second quarter of a scoreless game and zinged a 13-yard touchdown pass to him.

"I truly believe there is a level of comfort with Ben when he is throwing the ball to Heath, and rightfully so," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "He is a really good football player, and he is getting better. You almost take him for granted. Sometimes you forget that he is a young guy and emerging in a lot of ways."
    Miller is both swift and sure-handed, which makes him a match-up problem for linebackers, and his size makes him difficult for safeties to handle. Miller may be young -- he turns 25 in less than two weeks -- and quiet, but he has taken on a leadership role at his position.

"He's probably helped me the most in my transition," rookie tight end Matt Spaeth said. "I watch him and try to study what he does, and he's very helpful when I ask him questions."

One question that is worth posing about Miller is where he falls among the top tight ends in the NFL. Just don't ask him.
    "I'm just trying to be the best player I can be," Miller said, "and wherever that lands me is where it lands me."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Heath is just awesome, the dude is flat out money every time he touches the ball. We're so fortunate to have him and Spaeth available as weapons for Ben. We're at the point now where we have more weapons than the defense can account for on any given play. Everytime we need a big play you can count on Heath down the seam for a big gainer; and when it comes to the redzone well we don't even need to go there because the stats speak for themselves

The combination of Heath and Spaeth is really giving defenses something to think about. We always knew Heath would be good he just need the opportunities to catch the ball and it looks like that is finally happening this year. He does so much of the little things to that really go unnoticed on a stat sheet which is what has allowed him to quietly become one of those elite TE's.. he's not quite there yet but he's definitely making a case for it!

He is not what most ppl see as elite, because of his quietness, but that is the best part about him, he lets his playing speak for itself.
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

2nd String
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]HEATH AN SPAETH R BEASTS, WERE GONNA HAVE THE BEST ONE TWO PUCH AT TE N THE LEAGUE NEXT YEAR,[ PLUS BEN NEEDS TALL TARGETS,MAN ONCE THIS OFFENSE CATCHES UP 2 OUR DEFENSE WERE GONNA B UNSTOPPABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!/COLOR]

Heath is a huge asset to our team. I am so exctied he is finally being utalized this year.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

My Mood
    Chatty
    I love Heath! I've always felt they should utilitze him so much more. He's extremely consistent and rarely lets you down!!! He deserves more recognition!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We've been screaming for the Steelers to use the TE in the offense for something other than a bulldozer for so long and now wonder of all wonders, "Hey, they can really be productive!"

My Mood
    Smokin
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaSteelGirl View Post
    I love Heath! I've always felt they should utilitze him so much more. He's extremely consistent and rarely lets you down!!! He deserves more recognition!

Thanks for the sig Flea

We've only just begun...
    "I truly believe there is a level of comfort with Ben when he is throwing the ball to Heath, and rightfully so," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "He is a really good football player, and he is getting better. You almost take him for granted. Sometimes you forget that he is a young guy and emerging in a lot of ways."
    Miller is both swift and sure-handed, which makes him a match-up problem for linebackers, and his size makes him difficult for safeties to handle. Miller may be young -- he turns 25 in less than two weeks -- and quiet, but he has taken on a leadership role at his position.
    Lock them in for a long time! This just doubles the DynastyFactor
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

Thread Information