Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Ben to have college number retired

Bookmark and Share

Big Ben to have college number retired

I grabbed this from a picture caption... Congrats to Ben though it's pretty big deal to get your number retired

Link to Story
    QB Ben Roethlisberger is traveling to Oxford, Ohio, Saturday to see his college number retired at Miami of Ohio University.

Congrats to Ben!!!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

From http://muredhawks.cstv.com/
    Miami to Honor Ben Roethlisberger and Terry Hoeppner at Football Game on Saturday

Miami to Retire Roethlisberger's Jersey Number and to Pay Tribute to Hoeppner
    HEADLINES
    Miami to Honor Ben Roethlisberger and Terry Hoeppner at Football Game on Saturday
    RedHawk Football Team Switching Sidelines as Tribute to Miami Student Support

A Battle of MAC Undefeateds as RedHawks Host Falcons in Homecoming Clash
    Oct. 10, 2007
    OXFORD, Ohio--As part of the Homecoming Weekend festivities, Miami University will pay tribute to one of its all-time greats, Ben Roethlisberger, and to the legacy of former head coach Terry Hoeppner. Roethlisberger's jersey number will be retired in a pregame ceremony beginning at 2:40 p.m., while Hoeppner will be honored at halftime with a commemorative plaque that will hang in the Cradle of Coaches Plaza at the Yager Stadium Complex. Hoeppner's wife, Jane, will be in attendance.

Roethlisberger becomes only the third athlete in Miami football history to have his jersey number retired, joining luminaries John Pont and Bob Hitchens. It is the first time in 34 years Miami has retired a football jersey number. The former RedHawk quarterback, now a star with the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers, led Coach Hoeppner's 2003 club to 13 consecutive victories, a Mid-American Conference Championship, a victory in the GMAC Bowl and a No. 10 ranking in the final national polls. Roethlisberger earned Third-Team All-America honors during his record-breaking junior season and became just the third Miami player to capture the Vern Smith Award as the Mid-American Conference Most Valuable Player.

After forgoing his final year of collegiate eligibility and entering the NFL draft as a junior, Roethlisberger was selected with the 11th overall pick by the Pittsburgh Steelers--the highest draft position of any Miami player in program history--in what would quickly prove to be a match made in heaven. Pressed into early service during his rookie season, Roethlisberger led the Steelers to victory in each of his first 14 NFL starts--an NFL rookie record--leading the Black and Gold into the AFC Championship game and being named the NFL's Rookie of the Year.

He took care of unfinished business during his second season in the NFL, leading the Steelers on an unlikely playoff run and into Super Bowl XL. With a 21-10 victory over the Seattle Seahawks, Pittsburgh captured its fifth Super Bowl title and Roethlisberger became the youngest quarterback in NFL history to win a Super Bowl. Now in his fourth season with the franchise, Roethlisberger has led the 2007 Steelers to a 4-1 record over their first five games.

Hoeppner, who passed away on June 19, 2007, was part of the Miami football program for 19 seasons, including six as the head coach from 1999-2004. His 19-year stint marks the longest of any coach in program history. As head coach of the RedHawks, Hoeppner led Miami to a pair of Mid-American Conference East Division titles and back-to-back bowl games (2003-04) for the first time in 30 years. His finest season was 2003 when Miami finished 13-1 overall and 8-0 in the MAC and won the program's first MAC title since 1986. After a season-opening loss to Iowa, Hoeppner led the RedHawks to a program-record 13 straight wins, which culminated with a 49-28 victory over Louisville in the GMAC Bowl.

In his six seasons as a head coach in Oxford, Hoeppner posted six straight winning seasons, including five seasons with seven or more wins, and finished among the top three in the MAC East for the duration of his tenure. Hoeppner finished his Miami head coaching ranked second in career victories (48), fourth in career games (73) and 10th in career winning percentage (.658). Hoeppner mentored seven NFL draft picks while at Miami, most notably 2004 NFL Rookie of the Year and Super Bowl XL Champion Ben Roethlisberger.

Prior to assuming head coaching duties at Miami, Hoeppner spent 13 seasons as an assistant coach in many capacities, including assistant head coach/defensive backs coach (1993-95) and assistant head coach/defensive coordinator (1995-98). During his coaching career, including his time as an assistant, Miami upset four nationally-ranked teams on the road and earned a total of 12 wins over BCS conference schools. Hoeppner was named the head football coach at Indiana on Dec. 17, 2004, becoming the third former Miami coach, along with John Pont and Bill Mallory, to patrol the Indiana sidelines. In two seasons with the Hoosiers, Hoeppner compiled a 9-14 record, including five wins in 2006. Indiana is off to a 5-1 start this season.

Ben Roethlisberger
    • Miami's career record holder in every major passing category:
    Completions (854)
    Yards (10,829)
    Touchdowns (84)
    300-yard passing games (14)
    • Three-time All-MAC pick
    • 2001 MAC Freshman of the Year
    • 2003 MAC Player of the Year
    • 2003 Third-Team All-America by the Associated Press
    • 11th overall pick in the 2004 NFL draft
    • Set an NFL rookie record by winning his first 14 starts
    • Broke Dan Marino's rookie records for completion percentage and quarterback rating
    • 2005 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year by the AP and 2005 NFL Rookie of the Year by The Sporting News
    • Has made two AFC Championship game appearances.
    • Youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl

TERRY HOEPPNER--At Miami University
    • Spent 19 seasons at Miami University as an assistant and head coach
    • Served as head coach at Miami for six seasons from 1999-2004
    • Posted career record of 48-25 as a head coach at Miami, including six straight winning seasons and six
    consecutive top-three MAC East finishes
    • The 19 seasons he spent at Miami are the most of any coach in program history
    • Mentored seven NFL draft picks at Miami, including 2004 NFL Rookie of the Year and Super Bowl XL Champion
    Ben Roethlisberger
    • Finished his Miami head coaching stint ranked second in career victories (48), fourth in career games (73) and
    10th in career winning percentage (.658)
    • One of three former Miami coaches to be named head football coach at Indiana, joining John Pont and
    Bill Mallory
    • His finest season was 2003 when he led Miami to a 13-1 overall mark, including 8-0 in the MAC. Miami also won
    its first MAC title since 1986, finished the season with a program-record 13 straight wins and was ranked 10th in
    the final Associated Press poll.

HEAD COACHING RECORD AT MIAMI
    1999 - 7-4, 6-2 MAC (2nd East)
    2000 - 6-5, 5-3 MAC (T-3rd East)
    2001 - 7-5, 6-2 MAC (t-2nd East)
    2002 - 7-5, 5-3 MAC (3rd East)
    2003 - 13-1, 8-0 MAC (1st) - MAC Champions, GMAC Bowl Champions
    2004 - 8-5, 7-1 MAC (1st East) - MAC East Champions, Independence Bowl Appearance

COACHING POSITIONS AT MIAMI
    1986 - Linebackers Coach
    1987-93 - Defensive Backs Coach
    1993-95 - Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Backs Coach
    1995-98 - Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator
    1999-2004 - Head Coach
    ( only qb to take a wildcard team on the road and win it all)
    What can ya add to that?
    I have been a Benfan since the beggining of that junior year, saw a special on espnu on Miami Ohio, and been a fan ever since. I was sooooooo stoked when we drafted him. I don't think everyone realizes yet, they don't come around like him very often. Character, Ability, Size, and Intelligence.
    Thank You Mr Rooney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
    Future Hall of Famer!
    Congratulations Big Ben!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GoBenGo; 10-10-2007 at 01:19 PM.
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

CONGRATS BEN!!! just another milestone to his already great career!!
    HERE WE GO!! HERE WE GO!! HERE WE GO STEELERS!! HERE WE GO!! PITTSBURGH'S GOIN TO THE SUPERBOWL!! We're gonna be the first to 6!!!

2nd String
    congrats big ben now let's go an get another superbowl title this year 2 go with the other awards!!!!!!

My Mood
    Horny
    wow thats a pretty big honor!!! i just bought his college jersey for 12.99 at tj max!!! couldn't pass it up and it was a nike!

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    What an honor! Congrats Ben

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Hey that it is pretty awesome ! Congrats to Ben on a well deserved honor.

Congrats!

Thanks to BB2W for the sig

Starter
    The more I hear about Ben Roethlisberger, the more I realize how blessed of an individual he really is. He has God given ability, size, and an uncanny ability to make plays. I guess thats why I hate it so much when people try to bash him, they dont know who he really is and for some reason I cant help but feel that they are jealous of us. I would not trade him for any qb in the league, and I really believe that no other qb in the league today could run our offense like Big Ben, he has always been my favorite player and I couldn't be happier for him. Congratulations Ben and to many more records(and rings) to come.

Thread Information