Jim Wexell: laying odds on who we draft
By Jim Wexell
Posted Mar 4, 2007
Serious students of Steelers football already know the team will stick with its 3-4 base defense, so our odds reflect that interest. Here are our first-round odds as we begin our 2007 draft series:
* At 25-1, Auburn guard Ben Grubbs.
* At 20-1, Cal running back Marshawn Lynch.
* At 15-1, LSU receiver, Dwayne Bowe.
* At 12-1, cornerbacks Leon Hall and Darrelle Revis.
* At 10-1, linebackers Lawrence Timmons and Patrick Willis.
Now, the 3-4 defenders:
* Aaron Smith clone Adam Carriker is 6-1.
* Florida pass-rusher Jarvis Moss is 5-1.
* And Purdue tweener Anthony Spencer is our early morning favorite at 4-1.
This is just an outline. We’ll narrow the list as we go along. Tomorrow, we’ll begin to explain these opening odds.
Surely this news will be greeted with some joy! Anthony Spencer at 4-1, not bad! I will follow this storyline closely and keep you all posted!
My guess is Haggans is staying
If we draft Spencer I believe he will be fighting it out with James Harrison for the starting ROLB spot. If Harrison won he (Spencer) could be used as a substitute defensive player for DE or OLB. And I believe that Haggans will play his last year with us and next year he will be the cap casualty. Farrior is also getting old but he is still a beast for us! He led the Steelers in tackles last year by a substantial amount. :yesnod:
Position draft order......by round.
This is my guess on the order of precedence to this years draft by position and some names that I think are possibilities!
1. DE/OLB Spencer/Moss/Carriker
2. RB Hunt/Leonard/Bush
3. OL Blalock/Ramirez
4. LB Tim Shaw
5. CB Eric Weddle
6. P Daniel Sepulveda
7. WR Steve Smith
We'll see on April 28th how far off we were or how close we were! :lol: