PDA

View Full Version : Was Trent Green's hit a cheap shot?

GoBenGo
10-08-2007, 02:03 PM
There is a lot of talk of this.
Trent Green got knocked smooth the f*** out while trying to take a linemans knees out. I undertstand that this is how a lesser man would have to hit someone like that successfully, but should it be or is it illegal. If it were a reverse situation, the lineman would have been flagged, and possibly fined for a low blow to a quarter back. In a league in which double standards are argued every week, this seems like an obvious one. Bettis did not think it was cheap, he said that is how Green would have to hit him. Tiki, and Collinsworth disagreed, especially Tiki, echoing the sentiments that if it is illegal in one facet ,it should be across the board.
Let's think for a minute what if the reason it is an illegal hit ,is the harm it could cause the tackler. That is why you don't go diving at someones knees with your head down. See what you hit , hit what you see.
It goes both ways.

BR7
10-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I agree.. it has to go both ways. If a lineman did that to another lineman, you bet your *** a flag would have been thrown. DB to QB, flag.. LB to QB, flag.. Lineman to QB.. flag. I've never ever seen it the other way, and I doubt you ever will. QBs will be wearing flags in a few years. Or a tu tu :lol:

The only way you don't see those flags against the D, is when the QB is out of the pocket. But then the refs are still flag happy on the QB slide or a hit close to the sidelines.

The NFL has to protect its money makers.. without Manning, who would be doing all those comercials? lol.

I don't remember, but was there a flag when Trent got knocked out last time agains the Ravens?

Ambridge
10-08-2007, 07:41 PM
There is no way that Trent Green's hit a Purposeful attempt to injure another player.

I believe Trent just reacted to the play and made the best-bad block that he could.
Travis Johnson??? the Classless Fool who Green blocked should have been ejected from the game along with the 15yd taunting penalty after seeing Green lieing motionless on the field.

Hey Travis!!! Maybe had you peaked your blindside like you should have when you're in angle pursuit or changing directions you might have spotted Trent in time to avoid the whole thing.

Tiki Barber and Chris Collinsworth are ***-jerks for calling Green's hit a Cheapshot.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-08-2007, 07:41 PM
It's the way they are taught to block ..throw yourself at his legs. Did he try to hurt him, hell no, he was just trying to block how he was taught. It almost the same as when a RB is cutting through a defense and a DB comes up and takes out his legs, like Troy did to James last week.
To quote a great movie,Remember the Titans.... Coach to Ref "C'mon Ref that's a penalty " Ref's response " On the quarterback??"...

GoBenGo
10-08-2007, 08:08 PM
There is no way that Trent Green's hit a Purposeful attempt to injure another player.

I believe Trent just reacted to the play and made the best-bad block that he could.
Travis Johnson??? the Classless Fool who Green blocked should have been ejected from the game along with the 15yd taunting penalty after seeing Green lieing motionless on the field.

Hey Travis!!! Maybe had you peaked your blindside like you should have when you're in angle pursuit or changing directions you might have spotted Trent in time to avoid the whole thing.

Tiki Barber and Chris Collinsworth are ***-jerks for calling Green's hit a Cheapshot.
You believe right, he did just react to a play, and made an illegal hit.He made the decision not to man up, but to instinctively the low road. Green is not a dirty player, nor do I think he made the illegal block on purpose, but doesn't change the results .Unfortunately for him, he got a face full of kharma. It would be interesting to see the reactions of folks, if Johnson didn't get up. If the situation were reversed Johnson would have been flagged, or suspended, and been a pariah for hitting a defenseless qb low.( see Keisel)
You can dress it up however you want, but it is what it is. Cheap cowardly hit.
Tiki and Collinswoth are ***-jerks , but they were right about this.
Johnson showed his *** in his reaction, true, he was angry that someone tried to end his career in his viewpoint. Can you imagine what would have happened if Trent were not rendered unconcious by the hit?
You would have seen some illegal shiat then that is for sure. If he barked like that at a unconcious dude, whoa man.
But that is why everyone has a problem with Johnson's reaction, if Green is concious, it gets sorted out differently.:yesnod:

K Train
10-08-2007, 08:09 PM
ok johnson cant be taunting a player laying there dead and he cant be bashing the guy being carried out on a stretcher after they won they game and he can walk fine.

BUT blocking like that is ****ed up, no questions asked, its ****ed up......he may not have been trying to blow out johnsons knee but he very well could have. it was ****ed up plain and simple.....quarterbacks cant bitch about having their knees hit (like anthony smith on hasselbeck this week) and have a hit like that be legal just because it was a lineman on the other side....like i said....****ed up

DIESELMAN
10-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Going for the knees is way different then trying to take a players legs out from underneath him. You also have to consider who was trying to make the block, a aging QB who got knocked the **** out last year in KC. Hes still tentative as far as contact goes but at least he was tryin to help his teammates. He could've pulled up but hes a competitor no matter how old or slow he is.

Ambridge
10-09-2007, 01:14 AM
You can dress it up however you want, but it is what it is. Cheap cowardly hit.

The only problem I have is with the term Cheapshot/Cowardly hit.
Cheapshot and Cowardly Hit still infers a purposeful intent to play dirty.
Trent is very guilty of making split second stupid/reactive decision in which he did get knocked the **** out and paid the price but it was nothing more than that IMO.

black an gold 4 life
10-09-2007, 02:18 AM
it was illegal an green paided an hell of an price DUMB AZZ u have no business trying 2 throw an block, anyway they pay u 2 THROW THE BALL DICK HEAD, now look at u ur career is over because u tried 2 give another perosn an cheap shot trent green u suck!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelersWoman
10-09-2007, 05:43 AM
True that QBs are paid to "throw the ball". But if Big Ben felt that way, there would be no shoe string tackle, and no Super Bowl ring...

A truly competitive QB who wants to help his team win will do almost anything--rush for yards, do a QB sneak, make a tackle, block, etc. They just have to know when they do that, they're opening themselves up to (possibly) very bad, or career ending injuries.

As far as Trent, I think it was just instinctive and not a premeditated thing at all--it happened so fast, he just reacted. From all the interviews I've seen with him, he doesn't seem to have the type of personality to want to really hurt someone. However--it doesn't change the fact that he could've hurt the other guy. But they all play knowing it could be the last game they ever play in--it's a rough sport.

GoBenGo
10-09-2007, 11:42 AM
The only problem I have is with the term Cheapshot/Cowardly hit.
Cheapshot and Cowardly Hit still infers a purposeful intent to play dirty.
Trent is very guilty of making split second stupid/reactive decision in which he did get knocked the **** out and paid the price but it was nothing more than that IMO.
You chop anyone not looking, it is a cheapshot. Conciously ducking to employ said cheapshot is cowardly.

Noun 1. cheap shot - an unnecessarily aggressive and unfair remark directed at a defenseless person
gibe, jibe, barb, dig, shaft, slam, shot - an aggressive remark directed at a person like a missile and intended to have a telling effect; "his parting shot was `drop dead'"; "she threw shafts of sarcasm"; "she takes a dig at me every chance she gets"
2. cheap shot - an illegal and unsportsmanlike act of unnecessary violence; "he called a penalty on them when the lineman took a cheap shot at the quarterback"
shot - a blow hard enough to cause injury; "he is still recovering from a shot to his leg"; "I caught him with a solid shot to the chin"

It does suck that he got the snot knocked out of him, but he made his bed.
But it doesn't make it right, just magnifies the stupid decision he made!
Does he even know what happened?:bluelol:

BBG7
10-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Dolphins' quarterback Green sidelined by grade-3 concussion
Associated Press

DAVIE, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins starting quarterback Trent Green was knocked unconscious with a grade-three concussion -- the most severe -- and he'll undergo further tests on the career-threatening injury to determine his future.
Green has been ruled out of Sunday's game at Cleveland a day after he was injured against Houston. Coach Cam Cameron declined to discuss the possibility the injury will prompt the 37-year-old Green to retire.

"I don't think we really know the full extent, because there are some ongoing tests," Cameron said Monday. "Right now I just think there are too many unknowns."

Green was hurt in Sunday's loss to the Texans. He was motionless on the field before being carted away and taken to a hospital, but he flew home with the team.

A severe concussion in the 2006 opener sidelined Green for half of last season when he played for the Kansas City Chiefs. Following that injury, there were concerns about his durability when the Dolphins acquired him in June.

Cleo Lemon, who replaced Green at Houston, will make his second NFL start against the Browns. The Dolphins and St. Louis Rams are the only teams with 0-5 records.

cheap shot or not...he will be in my thoughts and prayers. I don't like to see anyone get hurt and this could be career ending.

Ambridge
10-09-2007, 12:21 PM
You chop anyone not looking, it is a cheapshot. Conciously ducking to employ said cheapshot is cowardly.

It does suck that he got the snot knocked out of him, but he made his bed.
But it doesn't make it right, just magnifies the stupid decision he made!
Does he even know what happened?:bluelol:

Again I seriously doubt that Trent made the Pre-meditated and conscious decision to throw a low block and in no way should be labled a Cheapshot Artist.
That would be like branding someone as a Tax Evader/Tax Cheat because they accidently made a mistake on their tax return........after a lifetime of on time and accurate returns.

The term "Cheapshot" should be saved and reserved for the likes of Rodney Harrison who has lengthy history of that type of activity.

Dee Mca
10-09-2007, 12:46 PM
In my opinion I see it all this way. After Ginn picked up the fumble since he was still behind the line of scrimage. That made Green an elgible receiver. Since he didn't have the ball. The NFL rule book states:
Crackback: Eligible receivers who take or move to a position more than two yards outside the tackle may not block an opponent below the waist if they then move back inside to block.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803181c8
So to me it was an illegal block. Was it a cheap shot thou? Thats another question. All my years playing football and watching it. I have almost always have seen QB's block the same way they almost always go low. Thats what they are taught. You block a 300 pound lineman with your throwing shoulder you might mess it up. SO they go low. So no it wasn't a cheap shot. Johnson shouldn't have taunted him thou. He deserved that penalty. Just as Green should have been nailed with the Crackback penalty. In the heat of the moment I think that was forgotten. As I said in the opening this IMO Trent Green isn't a cheater or a cheap shot artist. Just probably doing what he was taught all his life.

GoBenGo
10-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Again I seriously doubt that Trent made the Pre-meditated and conscious decision to throw a low block and in no way should be labled a Cheapshot Artist.
That would be like branding someone as a Tax Evader/Tax Cheat because they accidently made a mistake on their tax return........after a lifetime of on time and accurate returns.

The term "Cheapshot" should be saved and reserved for the likes of Rodney Harrison who has lengthy history of that type of activity.ask your self this: Would he have hit him if they were face to face?
Key word: accidentally. Trent did not hit him low by accident. He bent his knees, bent at the midsection, and directed his hit below the waist.
I am not trying to brand the guy as a pariah. I don't think he is a Rodney Harrison type player by any stretch. He is probably one of the betterguys in this league. He just made a bad decision.
I don't want to see anyone get hurt, let alone end a career. He does not deserve that at all. My point was simply directed at the actual hit.
None of that matters if he is not OK. He wil be in our prayers.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion I see it all this way. After Ginn picked up the fumble since he was still behind the line of scrimage. That made Green an elgible receiver. Since he didn't have the ball. The NFL rule book states:
Crackback: Eligible receivers who take or move to a position more than two yards outside the tackle may not block an opponent below the waist if they then move back inside to block.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803181c8
So to me it was an illegal block. Was it a cheap shot thou? Thats another question. All my years playing football and watching it. I have almost always have seen QB's block the same way they almost always go low. Thats what they are taught. You block a 300 pound lineman with your throwing shoulder you might mess it up. SO they go low. So no it wasn't a cheap shot. Johnson shouldn't have taunted him thou. He deserved that penalty. Just as Green should have been nailed with the Crackback penalty. In the heat of the moment I think that was forgotten. As I said in the opening this IMO Trent Green isn't a cheater or a cheap shot artist. Just probably doing what he was taught all his life.
Great Definition! I can agree with you for a bit here. Instincts did take over. desperate times called for desperate measures, but the player does not make it a cheapshot, the action does. Frankly, any illegal block of this nature, is a cheap shot, whether it is done by a good guy or bad guy. Seeking to gain an advantage thru an illegal action.
No way to put lipstick on this pig.