PDA

View Full Version : I hate to be the bearer of bad news....Ward out this weekend

biglarrythree
10-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Steelers' Ward to sit out for second straight week

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Still slowed by a sprained knee, Pittsburgh wide receiver Hines Ward will be sidelined for a second straight week on Sunday when the Steelers host the Seattle Seahawks.

The 10th-year veteran sustained the injury, originally diagnosed as a bruised knee, in the third quarter of a Sept. 23 victory over the San Francisco 49ers. A subsequent MRI exam revealed no structural damage, but Ward has been unable to practice since the injury. He said early this week that he is making progress, but apparently not enough to allow him to return to the lineup.

Nate Washington, who had two receptions for 18 yards in last week loss at Arizona, will get a second straight start.

"As players, we hate to miss games," Ward said on Thursday. "These are games I can never get back. But, at the same time, you have to look at the big picture. We have a bye coming up and the stretch after that we have three division games and the Denver Broncos on the road. I have to be smart about it. That's the best thing for me to do for the team."

The other starting wide receiver remains second-year veteran Santonio Holmes, who scored two touchdowns last week and is emerging at the team's best deep threat.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on Friday also ruled out nickel cornerback Bryant McFadden (ankle) for Sunday's game. Nose tackle Casey Hampton (hamstring) and strong safety Troy Polamalu (abdomen) are listed as questionable, but have not practiced all week and are not likely to play. Backup nose tackle Chris Hoke, who suffered a spinal cord concussion during last week's game, has been cleared to return and probably will take Hampton's place.

In his three appearances this season, Ward, 31, has nine catches for 108 yards and one touchdown.

A four-time Pro Bowl performer and the most valuable player in Pittsburgh's victory in Super Bowl XL two years ago, Ward is key to the Pittsburgh offense, not just as its most accomplished receiver, but also because he is one of the best downfield blocking wide receivers in the league.

In 144 games, Ward has 657 catches for 8,113 yards and 59 touchdowns. He is the leading pass-catcher in franchise history.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

SteelersWoman
10-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Wow--it went from looking like ALL of them would be playing, to now only ONE is an absolute.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2007, 04:54 PM
yeah I know right, just goes to show you can never really tell; especially with knee injuries.

I hate to have Ward out because that means that sensationally average combination of Wilson and Washington will be on the field more. Please Tomlin, let Cedric start; not that Im expecting great things from him or anything but Nate has hardly warranted a 2nd starting chance.

Hopefully Spaeth is playing which will give Ben another target he didnt have last week.

floodcitygirl
10-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Wow--it went from looking like ALL of them would be playing, to now only ONE is an absolute.I agree. What's with all the early good news and now this???

Stlrs4Life
10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
I was prepared for none of them to play this week. I am still surprised that Casey is playing. A hamstring injury doesn't heal that fast, bet he isn't 100%.

BR7
10-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Nate Washington, who had two receptions for 18 yards in last week loss at Arizona, will get a second straight start.

Great.. I'm betting on the "over" on lolly-gagging on pass routes.

K Train
10-05-2007, 05:28 PM
washington is better than wilson...just know that. everyone knew this was coming since the bye week is coming right up, it makes sense

BR7
10-05-2007, 05:39 PM
washington is better than wilson...just know that.

quit following me, lol. **** Nate.

K Train
10-05-2007, 05:47 PM
sorry but im already the founder and president of the i hope cedric wilson dies club.....i cant hate nate more than wilson at this point. give him one more game against a sorry seattle secondary, i think he can come through

BR7
10-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Im not gonna be the one man fan club for Ced, but vs those two schmucks, Ced has been by far more productive. Nate has one more game, lol.. or I'm gonna come out with my best sig yet :rofl:

BBG7
10-05-2007, 10:29 PM
I pretty much figured with what I have heard this week Ward would not be playing.

Hawk Believer
10-06-2007, 12:02 AM
give him one more game against a sorry seattle secondary, i think he can come through

You might be surprised by our secondary this year. They are a lot better than they used to be.

Prosdo
10-06-2007, 04:21 AM
Well this surely isn't the news I wanted to hear.

steelersgal86
10-06-2007, 07:11 AM
I pretty much figured with what I have heard this week Ward would not be playing.

:ditto:

StlersGuy
10-06-2007, 09:33 AM
:cursin:that is all I have to say about this topic:banging:

Ibleedblk&gld
10-06-2007, 09:47 AM
bryant mcfadden is out too :(

GoBenGo
10-06-2007, 10:31 AM
These are the times when previously unheralded individuals become heroes. None of our reserves entered the NFL to be back-ups, and when given the opportunity to start will do everything in their power (and then some) to star on the field. Not the best circumstances, would never want any of our players injured.
But given the chance ...
I remind myself how many of our "back-ups" have been cherry picked by other teams through free-agency and prospered.
Yes, we are definitely bruised up, but I believe the team coach T prepares for Sunday will be fine.
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:
Here Go Steelers! Here We Go!
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

Dee Mca
10-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Any decent wide recievers on free agent list? It's too late in the week for Sunday but if Ward has a messed up knee no time like the present to find somebody. Since our bench can't do the job.

GoBenGo
10-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Any decent wide recievers on free agent list? It's too late in the week for Sunday but if Ward has a messed up knee no time like the present to find somebody. Since our bench can't do the job.
That's the spirit

SteelerNation
10-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Well this isent the news i like to read to get my weekend cracking wtf **** ced he ****ing sucks i dont want him playing or starting in that matter ever for us again put nate in he has a chance to be something ced will never be!

WestCoastSteeler
10-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Better to heal him up now and have him active the rest of the season & into the playoffs. The back ups don't get better if they don't play, so I'd rather see them in there getting the kinks worked out now than watch them fumble around later in the year without much playing time behind them & alot more at stake. Last I saw Polamalu was still questionable....anyone know anything new there?

Iron City South
10-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Sit every damn one of them that are knicked up I say .... Let them go into the bye and rest, rest, and more rest so that they come out healthy and fresh.

Imagine how dejected Seattle will feel if we basically beat them with our 2nd team! :cope:

BR7
10-07-2007, 06:53 PM
washington is better than wilson...just know that. everyone knew this was coming since the bye week is coming right up, it makes sense

sorry but im already the founder and president of the i hope cedric wilson dies club.....i cant hate nate more than wilson at this point. give him one more game against a sorry seattle secondary, i think he can come through

player|receptions|yards|avg|td|long
Wilson|5|69|13.8|0|18
Washington|3|26|8.7|0|14

:popcorn: :popcorn:

K Train
10-08-2007, 02:13 PM
player|receptions|yards|avg|td|long
Wilson|5|69|13.8|0|18
Washington|3|26|8.7|0|14

:popcorn: :popcorn:

**** wilson, willie had a long *** run and wilson brought it back on a hold.....hes a ****ing bitch and i dont care if he had 2 more catches that washington hes still a ****ing bum.

BR7
10-08-2007, 02:46 PM
lol and Nate shoulda been flaged on Najeh's run.. then what? hah. Ced came through on the 3rd down conversion after his stupid penalty. Actually made a few nice grabs on that drive if I remember right :D **** Nate :lol:

K Train
10-08-2007, 03:48 PM
nate didnt hit him from behind, it was like perfectly sideways and the guy he blocked was engaged in a tackle....clean lol