PDA

View Full Version : Troy suffered a cartilage tear in ribcage

BBG7
10-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Polamalu's injury

Strong safety Troy Polamalu said he suffered a cartilage tear in his ribcage while recovering a fumble at the end of the first half of Sunday' 21-14 loss at Arizona.

Polamalu, who did not practice Wednesday, sat out the entire second half of Sunday's game, but is expected to play this week. Polamalu said he had to be talked out of playing against Arizona.

"I wanted to go back in, definitely," he said. "But it was the fourth game of the season. There was no reason to make any injury worse and sit our six or seven more weeks."

Could he have done so?

"I don't know, I was going to find out by going out there," Polamalu said.

Rest of the article:
http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/10_4_Steelers_notebook

I don't know anything about this type of injury. Could this be something that lingers the rest of the season?

SteelerSal
10-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Rest of the article:
http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/10_4_Steelers_notebook

I don't know anything about this type of injury. Could this be something that lingers the rest of the season?

I've had it and it took a few weeks for it not to bother me, but then again I am not in the same type of work as Troy.
In my opinion Troy will rest this week and take advantage of the bye week to try and heal his ribs. With his style of play he can easily reaggrivate it all season if he does'nt let it heal.

floodcitygirl
10-04-2007, 07:42 PM
This is not sounding good. :dunno:

BBG7
10-04-2007, 07:43 PM
that's exactly what I was thinking when I read it....I haven't found anything else that confirms the article though.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2007, 07:51 PM
I've had that too, so has my wife (damn racquetball :lol: ) I wasn't all that bad, just tape yourself up and go about your business. Like Sal said though I don't do the same type of work that Troy does either so I'd imagine he might have to get an injection to help with the pain if he lasts the whole game because his wild style of play isn't the best thing to aid in healing. We need him healthy at all costs so Im sure he'll continue rehabbing out the wazoo for the next weeks.

stillers4me
10-04-2007, 08:18 PM
i hope he doesn't reinjure it........he flies around like a wild animal out there. I mean I love that about him.......but.....geesh......it can't be good for an injury like that.

BB2W
10-04-2007, 08:23 PM
SI ginx... he hasn't been the same since he was on the cover. :banging:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Yea you guys might not have the same type of work as Troy....But you guys don't have the best access to medical treatments like pro athletes do and don't have those nice wonder shots that make you feel all better...lol So Troy should be fine and damn it he better play this Sunday.....lol He has the bye week after the Seahawks game to rest up....Earn that big money Troy earn that big money...

floodcitygirl
10-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Yea you guys might not have the same type of work as Troy....But you guys don't have the best access to medical treatments like pro athletes do and don't have those nice wonder shots that make you feel all better...lol So Troy should be fine and damn it he better play this Sunday.....lol He has the bye week after the Seahawks game to rest up....Earn that big money Troy earn that big money...That's all fine as long as he keeps earning that big money the rest of the season and doesn't screw himself up for this one game.

Mach1
10-04-2007, 09:04 PM
I tore some rib cartilage a few years back and it hurts a lot, especially if you bend or move in certain ways. And it is something that could mess with him for the rest of the season if he doesn't let it heal up little bit first.
If it was my decision I'd probly sit him till after the bye.

BBG7
10-04-2007, 09:06 PM
I have still been searching for more info on his injury and I'll I'm seeing is that it is a strain (I haven't seen anywhere else they say it's torn) I don't know, but this does worry me a little bit

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Yea you guys might not have the same type of work as Troy....But you guys don't have the best access to medical treatments like pro athletes do and don't have those nice wonder shots that make you feel all better...lol So Troy should be fine and damn it he better play this Sunday.....lol He has the bye week after the Seahawks game to rest up....Earn that big money Troy earn that big money...

yeah I know right, if I had access to the medical attention he has on a daily basis I'd be sittin pretty :lol:

Aunkster
10-04-2007, 09:14 PM
This is not sounding good. :dunno:

have faith

Black@Gold Forever32
10-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Ok I broke a bone in my foot at work a few years back and I worked through it....Did it hurt...Hell yes....But hey I worked through the pain....So if its not to serious Troy should be out there....You guys are big softies....I'm sure back in the day when football players were real gladiators they played through cartilage tears....So Troy should play if he is cleared and ready to go....He has the bye to rest up.....I have no sympathy for million dollar athletes when they have some minor injuries...Its not like Troy tore an ACL......

Aunkster
10-04-2007, 09:32 PM
I dont doubt it hurt but I think there may be a slight difference from your job than his,he has much more chance to further injurimself..I say one more week resting

Black@Gold Forever32
10-04-2007, 09:39 PM
I dont doubt it hurt but I think there may be a slight difference from your job than his,he has much more chance to further injurimself..I say one more week resting

You try building slide out rooms for RV's on a broken foot....:lol: Its not fun trust me.......Especially since you're on feet all day lifting heavy *** **** and constantly moving all day long.....I only had vicodin to get me by.....lol Troy has access to the best medical treatment that the average person doen't have.....If he is cleared to play...He plays its that simple.....No sorrow for a pro athlete here.......especially one that signed the largest contract in team history....Earn that money Troy earn that money....Hell I would have played him in the 2nd half Sunday....:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2007, 09:51 PM
and then he'd have completely torn away the cartilage and he'd be out for a month thanks to you mr tough guy :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-04-2007, 10:06 PM
and then he'd have completely torn away the cartilage and he'd be out for a month thanks to you mr tough guy :lol:

Hell Troy or any player can blow their ACL at anytime when they step onto the field.....What are we supposed to do wrap these players up in bubble wrap?.....Which might not be a bad idea for Ben if our Oline keeps pass blocking like crap...lol I'm just saying if Troy is cleared and ready to go then he plays its that simple.....lol Lets not make this a bigger issue then it really is....:lol: Earn that money Troy earn that money....The Steelers are not paying this guy to sit on the bench...lol I think Dick Night Train Lane played through some cartilage tears back in the day......He was a physical DB so Troy should be fine....:bigthumb: Pro athletes today are a bunch of wimps...lol

K Train
10-04-2007, 11:03 PM
i tore rib cartilage once, it wasnt to bad, but when it healed it swelled.....that sucked

floodcitygirl
10-04-2007, 11:08 PM
i tore rib cartilage once, it wasnt to bad, but when it healed it swelled.....that suckedOh great! Something else to worry about! :smh2:

black an gold 4 life
10-04-2007, 11:31 PM
we can't afford 2 lose troy 4 the season, he files aroung the field like an missle, i would rather sit him 2 so he can have atleast 3 weeks of healing instead of 2,because ur not gonna b able 2 tell him ok troy go but don't go full speed, hell he only know one speed an that's FULL SPEED AHEAD all the time.

Aunkster
10-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Oh great! Something else to worry about! :smh2:

you need to stop your worrying...see ya sunday

SteelersWoman
10-05-2007, 12:36 AM
He had his helmet back on and looked very frustrated on the sideline. Had the doc given him the go-ahead, he would've gone back in, no doubt about it.

Hawk Believer
10-05-2007, 01:49 AM
The only problem with an injury like that is that it is painful. But the pain can be excruciating depending on the injury and how much you aggravate it. But its not like he will be causing permanent damage to himself and compromising his future by playing. He might just be prolonging his recovery from some debilitating discomfort.

IMO most people would be in no way capable of tolerating the pain that an NFL safety would evoke from such an injury during the game. But he is not an ordinary dude. Maybe he can do a zen thing and play with the pain.

As a Seahawks fan I think he should sit. Unless it is really negatively affecting his game. :)

Stlrs4Life
10-05-2007, 04:59 PM
From the PG..

Polamalu might sit out

Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu did not play the second half in Arizona with what was diagnosed as torn rib cartilage, but was not even listed among the injured players by coach Mike Tomlin
How can that be?

Polamalu was initially said to have sustained an abdominal strain when he was tackled on a fumble return against the Cardinals. But because the Steelers did not have the medical equipment to properly evaluate his injury, he was kept from the game as a precautionary measure.
The cartilage tear was not detected until the team returned to Pittsburgh. Polamalu did not practice again yesterday and might not play against the Seahawks. He would be replaced by second-year safety Anthony Smith.
"I feel good, but I don't know [if I'll play]," Polamalu said. "It depends if [coach Mike Tomlin] wants something to linger for 10 weeks. That's the danger with any injury. It's definitely an injury than can get worse."

Ambridge
10-07-2007, 07:05 AM
The only problem with an injury like that is that it is painful. But the pain can be excruciating depending on the injury and how much you aggravate it. But its not like he will be causing permanent damage to himself and compromising his future by playing. He might just be prolonging his recovery from some debilitating discomfort.

I've had torn rib cartilage and the word Excruciating is the best word to describe the pain.
It hurts to do anything-twisting or stretching your torso-any type movement that causes any jarring to the body. Running and jumping were totally out of the question.....not to mention breathing can be difficult too.

Should Troy play I'm guessing he'll be 75%-80% at best

Dee Mca
10-07-2007, 07:54 AM
As long as we control the grun game. We shouldn't really need troy today. So by all means let him ride the pine. In the passing game with gay moving ahead of colclough we should be alright against branch,engram and burleson.