PDA

View Full Version : Injury Report...10/3 Update 10/5: Ward may play; Hampton & Polamalu questionable

Stlrs4Life
10-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Steelers' Polamalu, Hampton to play; Ward 'day-to-day'
Tuesday, October 02, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Safety Troy Polamalu and nose tackle Casey Hampton, the Steelers' two Pro Bowl defensive players who left Sunday's game in Arizona with injuries, will return to play against the Seattle Seahawks Sunday at Heinz Field.

"We expect both those guys to be OK,'' coach Mike Tomlin said today.

Polamalu left the game with a strained abdomen and Hampton left with a hamstring injury.

Tomlin said the only effect is they may be limited in some practices this week.

As for Hines Ward, who missed only his fourth game in 10 years with a sprained knee, Tomlin said he is "day to day.''

"He feels good,'' said Tomlin during his weekly press conference. He said he won't know until later in the week whether the wide receiver can return to action.

One who will not be back is cornerback Bryant McFadden, and it may be some time before he does return. McFadden has what is known as a high ankle sprain, an injury that typically keeps a player out a month or so. McFadden, the team's No. 3 cornerback, likely will be replaced by rookie William Gay, although fourth-year veteran Ricardo Colclough remains a possibility.

There were some previously unreported minor injuries to starters, who might miss some practice time but who will play on Sunday. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has a bruised foot that was stepped on, linebacker James Harrison has a bruised knee and cornerback Deshea Townsend had a stinger.

Also, rookie tight end Matt Spaeth, who caught two touchdown passes before he missed the past two games with a bruised thigh, will return to play.

The Steelers play the Seahawks at 1 p.m. Sunday at Heinz Field in a Super Bowl XL rematch.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07275/822273-100.stm

steelcurtaingal
10-02-2007, 09:59 PM
good, i hope ward can make it

black an gold 4 life
10-03-2007, 01:37 AM
we need ward in the offense if were gonna have an chance,our back ups r 2 selfish maybe if they played like santonio,an ward they would b starting!!!!!!

Prosdo
10-03-2007, 04:13 AM
Not too bad. I wish McFadden would be back sooner, but I rather have him out than Polamalu.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2007, 05:56 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07276/822402-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

McFadden doubtful with high ankle sprain
Wednesday, October 03, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Safety Troy Polamalu and nose tackle Casey Hampton, the Steelers' two defensive Pro Bowl players who left Sunday's game in Arizona with injuries, will return to play against the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday at Heinz Field.

"We expect both those guys to be OK," coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday.

Polamalu left the game with a strained abdomen and Hampton left with a hamsting injury.

Tomlin said the only effect is they may be limited in some practices this week.

There also was better news on Hines Ward's knee sprain, which caused him to miss only his fourth game in 10 years.

"He had a good day of rehab yesterday," Tomlin said. "I spoke with him, he feels good, but we will take that day to day and see where he is. We'll do what is smart in that area. That decision will be determined later in the week."

One player who will not be back is cornerback Bryant McFadden, and it may be some time before he does return. McFadden has a high ankle sprain, an injury that typically keeps a player out a month or so, although Tomlin called him "doubtful" for Sunday's game.

McFadden, the team's No. 3 cornerback, likely will be replaced by rookie William Gay, although fourth-year veteran Ricardo Colclough remains a possibility.

Chris Hoke, Hampton's backup, also will play this week. He left late in Sunday's game with an ankle injury.

Previously unreported minor injuries to starters might cause them to miss some practice, but they are expected to play Sunday. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has a bruised foot that was stepped on, linebacker James Harrison has a bruised knee and cornerback Deshea Townsend had a stinger that knocked him temporarily out of the game in Arizona.

Also, rookie Matt Spaeth, who caught two touchdown passes before he missed the past two games with a bruised thigh, will return to action.

This is good that most of our players are returning from their injuries, whew :thud: ! McFadden being out does worry me because if Deshea or Taylor go down we'll be in trouble. It is good though that hopefully Gay gets some good on field opportunities.

steelersgal86
10-03-2007, 06:17 AM
good news :bigthumb:

GoBenGo
10-03-2007, 09:15 AM
I saw this on my FF site. :
News: Steelers safety Troy Polamalu and nose tackle Casey Hampton, forced out of the Arizona game with injuries, are expected to play Sunday against Seattle. While Polamalu and Hampton couldn't finish the Steelers' 21-14 loss to the Cardinals, Tomlin did not initially list them when he reviewed the team's injuries at his weekly news conference. "We expect these guys to be OK," Tomlin said:yesnod:
Glad to hear this! I see after reading some of the other posts, that most everyone elses intel is pretty good and a lot quicker than mine!!

BBG7
10-03-2007, 10:57 AM
good, i hope ward can make it

I have heard that he probably won't play until after the bye. He said he would love to and if he's a 100% he will but he is also looking at the big picture and would like to be there at the end of the season!

AZ_Steeler
10-03-2007, 12:28 PM
One who will not be back is cornerback Bryant McFadden, and it may be some time before he does return. McFadden has what is known as a high ankle sprain, an injury that typically keeps a player out a month or so. McFadden, the team's No. 3 cornerback, likely will be replaced by rookie William Gay, although fourth-year veteran Ricardo Colclough remains a possibility.
Let's just hope they don't get a bright idea and have Colclough returning punts!

McFadden is going to be a huge loss because he has really come on strong lately... Good to see Troy and Big Hamp back as well. Hampton controls that front line and without him the defense is not the same... plus missing a Troy is a big deal too!!!

K Train
10-03-2007, 02:33 PM
william gay isnt a bad guy to have on the field.....all we've ever seen the guy do is make big plays since day one lol

great another fun filled day of nate and that ***** *** mother****** wilson

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Assuming Ward comes back that will atleast keep Cedric and Nate's touches to a minimum or should we call it their "lack of touches because they suck" !

StlersGuy
10-03-2007, 03:52 PM
I am just glad to hear Polamalu is coming back after seeing what happened to the D after he went down I dont think we could go another week with out him

MDSteel15
10-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Assuming Ward comes back that will atleast keep Cedric and Nate's touches to a minimum or should we call it their "lack of touches because they suck" !

You know something, I am definately NOT a Nate "StoneHands" Washington fan and Cedric is getting old fast, but it does seem when they are out there with Hines or Santonio, they make more receptions than they do when shoved into a starting role! Nate has had his shots and screwed up enuff to know that(unfortunately) Cedric should be in there UNTIL we get a reliable #3. Someone please step up and grow some :banging: :tt02:

K Train
10-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Washinton>Wilson

i ****ing hate that guy, at least washington shows flashes

StlersGuy
10-03-2007, 04:55 PM
I still get pissed thinking about that long ball that well would have been a TD if Ward was out there....

MDSteel15
10-03-2007, 05:12 PM
KTrain, I am not a fan of either, NOR Plaxiglass, but imagine if he was still here not being an azz!! Would be nice to have that 3rd DEPENDABLE WR...:cabbagepatch:

Ibleedblk&gld
10-03-2007, 06:38 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07276/822402-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

This is good that most of our players are returning from their injuries, whew :thud: ! McFadden being out does worry me because if Deshea or Taylor go down we'll be in trouble. It is good though that hopefully Gay gets some good on field opportunities.

agreed...i don't want dashea, ike, or ricardo to go in place of bryant...send in william gay!!!

Hawk Believer
10-03-2007, 06:40 PM
What is the quick rundown on Gay's strengths and weaknesses so far?

K Train
10-03-2007, 07:23 PM
william gay is a ****ing play maker simple as that, hes really fast and hits like a truck. All preseason long he was defending passes, making interceptions and big hits, in 4 out of 5 games he had a turnover in the last 2 minutes to end the game

Hawk Believer
10-03-2007, 07:30 PM
He's got to have some weakness or he would have been starting right? Seems like most new DBs are prone making a big mistake here or there. Hopefully the Hawks will be able to play to his youthful enthusiasm and get him to blow a couple of plays by making him bite on something. I am looking forward to seeing him play. Sounds like he's got a ton of potential.

Prosdo
10-03-2007, 07:30 PM
I like Nate. He has potential, but he just isn't living up to it. The Steelers need to find a dependable 3rd WR. I believe Ward will be retiring within the next couple of years and it would help if we could slowly bring in a WR as the number 3 and then let them take over the number 2 duty when Ward retires. Ben needs better weapons in WR's.

K Train
10-03-2007, 07:32 PM
at least having spaeth back should help

K Train
10-03-2007, 07:34 PM
He's got to have some weakness or he would have been starting right? Seems like most new DBs are prone making a big mistake here or there. Hopefully the Hawks will be able to play to his youthful enthusiasm and get him to blow a couple of plays by making him bite on something. I am looking forward to seeing him play. Sounds like he's got a ton of potential.

all we've really seen has been big plays and thats all he did at louisville....i like this guy alot, but remember he will only be playing in nickle and dime, townsend and taylor are our 2 regular starters

Dee Mca
10-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Can thery please still Gay instead of Colclough. I'm tired of seeing him screw up. The only time I have seen him do any good is on Madden when I go Dime and blitz him off the corner.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2007, 06:03 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07278/823099-66.stm

Some updates on the players' status..

Friday, October 05, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Nose tackle Chris Hoke is among the fortunate: He was diagnosed with the same injury that temporarily paralyzed former quarterback Tommy Maddox five years ago, even though he did not suffer the same effect on the field.

Hoke said he sustained a spinal cord concussion against the Arizona Cardinals, an injury that forced him to leave the game in the fourth quarter and not return. Hoke, though, was able to walk off the field and has not missed a day of practice this week. He expects to play Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks at Heinz Field.

That was unlike what happened to Maddox Nov. 17, 2002, when he laid motionless on the field, unable to feel or move his limbs, and had to be carted off on a stretcher in a game in Nashville, Tenn.

Maddox began walking the next day and was eventually diagnosed with a spinal cord concussion.

"I had like a tingling sensation through my body," said Hoke, a backup nose tackle. "But, if you watch me fall to the ground, you can see my body is limp but my arms are kind of wiggling."

Polamalu might sit out

Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu did not play the second half in Arizona with what was diagnosed as torn rib cartilage, but was not even listed among the injured players by coach Mike Tomlin

How can that be?

Polamalu was initially said to have sustained an abdominal strain when he was tackled on a fumble return against the Cardinals. But because the Steelers did not have the medical equipment to properly evaluate his injury, he was kept from the game as a precautionary measure.

The cartilage tear was not detected until the team returned to Pittsburgh. Polamalu did not practice again yesterday and might not play against the Seahawks. He would be replaced by second-year safety Anthony Smith.

"I feel good, but I don't know [if I'll play]," Polamalu said. "It depends if [coach Mike Tomlin] wants something to linger for 10 weeks. That's the danger with any injury. It's definitely an injury than can get worse."

Injury update

In addition to Polamalu, nose tackle Casey Hampton (hamstring) and No. 3 cornerback Bryant McFadden (ankle) did not practice.

Hampton's status will be determined today. McFadden is not expected to play against the Seahawks.

Ward possible

Hines Ward still has not practiced since he sustained a sprained knee Sept. 23 against the San Francisco 49ers, but he said he is feeling good and his rehabilitation is ahead of schedule.

Ward, a 10-year veteran, has missed only four games in his career, but three have come in the past nine games, dating to last season. The most recent was in Arizona, when he was deactivated and replaced by Nate Washington.

Ward said he might try to test his injured knee today in practice. If he doesn't, and with a bye week coming up, he likely won't play against the Seahawks.

"As players, we hate to miss games," Ward said. "These are games I can never get back.

"But, at the same time, you have to look at the big picture. We have a bye coming up and the stretch after that we have three division games and the Denver Broncos on road. I have to be smart about it. That's the best thing for me to do for the team."

Big Ben to start

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who had his foot stepped on against Arizona and did not practice Wednesday, participated in all team drills yesterday and said he felt fine.

He will start against the Seahawks.

ARKIESTEEL
10-05-2007, 07:13 AM
We need big Hampton back that push up the middle is the key to ever thing we do on D

K Train
10-05-2007, 02:22 PM
im more worried about casey than i am troy, we won without troy last year...carter, smith and clark are all really good safeties. ward is probably gonna sit out, hopefully nate can play better and wilson can stay on the sidelines.

i liked the determination willie reid showed in his 2 catches last week lol

BR7
10-05-2007, 03:17 PM
We need big Hampton back that push up the middle is the key to ever thing we do on D

Hit the nail on the head there. Definately need big Casey in there. And as K said.. I also like what little I saw in Reid. Bench the waste of space Nate and put Willie in his spot. Only action I want to see from Nate is warming up Batch in the 4th when the game is over.

K Train
10-05-2007, 03:20 PM
we were all disappointed in reids returning but that doesnt mean hes a waste of a roster spot. and i am willing to give nate another shot, as long as wilson agrees to stay home

BR7
10-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Meh, Nate is the waste of a spot, not Reid, lol. No love for Ced eh? I like Ced better than Nate. Hell, I like Kordell at this moment better than Nate.

K Train
10-05-2007, 03:26 PM
i ****ing hate wilson with a firey passion, i ****ing hate him hes a worthless piece of ******* **** dumb **** ***** ******* i hope he dies.

plus hes making alot more money than nate

BR7
10-05-2007, 03:32 PM
hmm, I'm beginning to think you don't like Ced. :scratch:

lol

Ced is more dependable than Nate. Nate remindes me of Plax's early years. All world potential, no ****ing brain.

I'm one game away of starting the official "I HATE NATE" fan club, lol. He's shown nothing. nada. zip. zilch. Not even in preseason.. Better steal Morey back from Ariz, :rofl:

steelcurtaingal
10-05-2007, 03:32 PM
i ****ing hate wilson with a firey passion, i ****ing hate him hes a worthless piece of ******* **** dumb **** ***** ******* i hope he dies.

wow, you feel strongly. lol
I cant stand him either though.

StlersGuy
10-05-2007, 04:41 PM

someone is upset :yesnod:

Stlrs4Life
10-05-2007, 05:01 PM
From the PG..

Polamalu might sit out

Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu did not play the second half in Arizona with what was diagnosed as torn rib cartilage, but was not even listed among the injured players by coach Mike Tomlin
How can that be?

Polamalu was initially said to have sustained an abdominal strain when he was tackled on a fumble return against the Cardinals. But because the Steelers did not have the medical equipment to properly evaluate his injury, he was kept from the game as a precautionary measure.
The cartilage tear was not detected until the team returned to Pittsburgh. Polamalu did not practice again yesterday and might not play against the Seahawks. He would be replaced by second-year safety Anthony Smith.
"I feel good, but I don't know [if I'll play]," Polamalu said. "It depends if [coach Mike Tomlin] wants something to linger for 10 weeks. That's the danger with any injury. It's definitely an injury than can get worse."

Ibleedblk&gld
10-06-2007, 09:46 AM
hines and bryant are out again...****

GoBenGo
10-06-2007, 03:19 PM
:redcool:

Staaaaaaaaaaaay cool, staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cool

steelcurtaingal
10-06-2007, 03:25 PM

:banging:

Preacher
10-06-2007, 03:49 PM

I still have to say... Good. Heal over the off weak, that gives Ward 3 full weeks to heal, bryant two full weeks.

We REALLY need them heading into the next 4 game stretch against all three AFCN teams.