PDA

View Full Version : 3-1 going into October...BUT...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2007, 08:20 PM
We clearly have so much work to do. Do I think we are a legit 3-1 team, of course I do. We have the talent to be a championship caliber team. Having said that we do have to bounce back and it starts next Sunday !

-Offensive Line - these guys practice against the blitz every single day and they got their asses handed to them all day long. The Cards were living in the backfield all day. Parker was tackled in the backfield I don't know how many times and Ben was running for his life or on his back. These guys have got to get it together because the schedule gets progressively harder coming up.

-Washington and Cedric cannot hang at all when Ward is out. The clearly rely on Ward to set them up by taking the pressure off and allow them to not have as much pressure to perform.

-Holmes - Has clearly stepped up his game and he is as potent a weapon at WR as their is in the game. He and Ward make a great combination and even with Hines out, Santonio came to play and was accounted for. If either of these 2 were to be down for an extended period of time we would be done, and IMO that's a fact because there is zero consistently beyond those 2.

-Special teams coverage needs to tighten up. The return game is coming along but the coverage in the kicking game is inconsistent and today it cost us BIG time.

- Ben needs to make better decisions under pressure and NOT force the issue. When he's being chased he tends to hold the ball out and it's up for grabs when he gets tackled. I know he's got more escapability than many of us might have realized but still, be smart man. Don't force the issue on the 2 with the game on the line. Better to kick the FG then come away with nothing.

Having said all that, nobody ever said we'd go undefeated. If there was a game to lose before the bye, it was this one. Everything was stacked against us from the outset and we couldn't overcome it. Everything snowballed for us today and yet we still had a chance to tie in the last 20 seconds of the game. I'll take 3-1 anytime heading into October, but the evidence overwhelming that we need to fix some issues. It's not the end of the world to lose to the Cards, credit them because they came to play but it is imperative to get back on track heading into the bye. We're on top of the division and we need to keep it that way.

StlersGuy
09-30-2007, 08:30 PM
3-1 is not that bad at all

okiesteeler
09-30-2007, 08:34 PM
The card's are a legit team. They have a good coaching crew, we know as they were raised in the black and gold. They have lost 2 games, both by 3 points, so they could easily be 4-0 right now.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Look at our schedule now, everyone we've played and beaten so far has been playing well since then so it's not like we haven't played anybody good. Clearly the 49ers are on the rise, the Clowns have won 2-3, and the Cards were firing on cylinders today. We've faced good competition and we played well but today just wasnt our day, plain and simple.

kgreen
09-30-2007, 08:49 PM
3-1 is not that bad at all

No, but it hurts losing to F***in' Arizona and that traitor!:cursin::cursin:
We played like it was 2006 all over again!:banging::banging:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Let's look at this way too. If we're going to lose a game, make it an out of conference game against a team you don't normally play. The rats lost 2 divisional games now and we're still 1 up. Plus both Cleveland and Baltimore go on the road next week against tough games so if we can win we have a good shot of being 2 games up again going into the bye.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-30-2007, 09:01 PM
I don't know I think that 3-0 masked some serious needs on this team....Like an entire Oline......I think they're a joke and really there is noway around it...lol From Smith to Colon...lol

I hope this team seriously thinks about getting a legit LT soon.....Then move Smith back to RT were he suited...Its clear Mahan doesn't have the size or strength to play center....He does alright but really doesn't dominate his man like the Steelers demand from their center......As for Faneca and Simmons...They both can take a flying leap off a bridge....lol Oh Willie Colon gets worse and worse each game......I still think he is better then Starks but thats not saying much....None of them can pass block to save their lives......Plus the run blocking looked like crap today...I think its time to put Kreider at FB more.....especially with the struggles of the Oline....

As for the defense you can see how important Troy is to the defense....They looked like a complete different unit out there....Will Anthony Smith step up please...He always looks to make the kill shot...But will he ever cover anyone?lol

The punt return for a TD was just embarrassing especially since this team spent so much time working on special teams in training camp and pre-season....

Oh and both Nate Washington and Ced Wilson can go to hell.....They had no clue out there today and really looked lost on their routes...lol

I'm done bring on the Seahawks....

K Train
09-30-2007, 09:02 PM
traitor? we showed him the door lol

SteelCzar76
09-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Here's to hoping that the Cards are just the Joe Frazier or Ken Norton to the Ali that we could be ? LOL

But 'real talk' though,.... i believe we have a very legitimate shot at taking the north and making the playoffs. I just want us to prepared for as much in terms of "stepping our game up".:helmet:

SteelersfaninPhilly
09-30-2007, 09:08 PM
we will be fine. Tomlin and co will go back and look at the tapes and make the necessary adjustments. But our depth WR sucks a$$

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2007, 09:11 PM
This team needs to have that jumbo package at the goal line that they actually use. Quit getting so damn cutesy and just bring 2 TE's, Danny Kreider, and let them lead the way to get to the end zone. It's a battle of wills and right now it's clear, if you ask me, that this team needs to use Kreider more than just now and then and the times when they have used him before; they didn't use him today.

Troyisabeast_43
10-01-2007, 12:02 AM
I agree the play calling after that fumble recovery by Harrison at the 4 was just terrible those 3 plays. Why didnt we try at least one bootleg or play fake on first or second down. For Ben to throw the ball to Heath in double coverage on 3rd down was just a bad bad play. It reminded me a lot like the Ben from last year. Tomlin definitely should have challenged the Leinart sneak on the 4 and 1 there late in the 4th because I think it was clearly short and a bad spot to begin with. Wish he would have looked at that one opposed to the TD by Urban which you knew the refs werent going to overturn. The botton line like I said with this loss is the Steelers just need to learn from it, correct there mistakes, and bounce back and move on to next week against Seattle. This is still a very solid team, and these mistakes they made today are very correctable so no reason to think that Mike Tomlin who pays so much attention to detail will not take care of these problems this week in practice. This is only 1 loss and a loss the Steelers can and definitely will get back I think later on in the season.

The good news about this loss is its an NFC loss so it doesnt count towards a conference loss which might matter a lot later on in the year when comparing tiebrakers head to head versus the Pats and Colts for seeding. Id much rather lose this game today against Arizona and win that game against the Broncos in 3 weeks on the road. I think that game will have much more signifigance in the standings as opposed to this loss today. Steelers will get this one back and I look for them to bounce back in a big way against the Seahawks here next week at home count on it!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-01-2007, 12:10 AM
I agree the play calling after that fumble recovery by Harrison at the 4 was just terrible those 3 plays. Why didnt we try at least one bootleg or play fake on first or second down. For Ben to throw the ball to Heath in double coverage on 3rd down was just a bad bad play.

:iagree: If you noticed on that 3rd and goal, the entire left side of the Defense was gone, everyone but 1 player had shifted to the right...Ben could have easily boot legged that in there and I was screaming just run it Ben !!!

black an gold 4 life
10-01-2007, 12:56 AM
ced an washinton suck if they r not starting they can't compete we should of kept walter young n stead of nate an ced should b kicked n the azz, the oline is old all of them they obvious can't block longer than 2 seconds, they need 2 learn 2 finish there blocks, an we need an better oline coach this ex brown,bills oline coach sucks big time,pittsburgh better dom something because others teams will look at this tape an run there defense the same way the cards did

Mach1
10-01-2007, 01:03 AM
O-line sucked, play calling sucked. Run,Run, Pass, no play action. AZ had nine men in the box all day.
It seemed like a blast from the past, almost thought cowher was back with the short leash they had on ben. Thought ben had more freedom than what he showed today.

Dako
10-01-2007, 07:39 AM
At least this will put those 16-0 and 15-1 comments to bed. Losing to a fired up Arizona team who had something to prove, on their home field, without Ward and then without Troy for the 2nd half, is not the end of the world. 10-6 or 11-5 is still a very legitimate estimation, especially considering that we were talking 4-1 or 5-0 going into the bye before the season began. Here we are at 3-1, with a win next weekend, we are right where we thought we'd be. Add to that the fact that both Baltimore and Cincinnati are playing worse than we expected, I'd say we are fine. Few teams are as good as the fans think they are after a big win, nor are they as bad following a loss.

portcityblackandgold
10-01-2007, 09:02 AM
For what its worth, I say bring Dallas Baker up from the practice squad now. Wilson and Washington dont bring their A games. Arrians was trying to out think Wiz and got caught up. When Ben struggles and the running game is stacked up, we need to go no huddle to get Ben going. We know this team would not go undefeated. 12 and 4 is realistic, and 3 and 1 going into October is vast improvement over last year.

Prosdo
10-01-2007, 11:18 AM
I think what really surprised me was the missed opportunities by the WR's and the offensive lines poor job. I think for sure next off season we will see some WR depth brought in and hopefully a legit LT. Washington and Ced were a huge disappointment on Sunday. Santonio is proving he was worth trading up for.

ARKIESTEEL
10-01-2007, 11:28 AM
When Silverback got that fumble was he touched down cause if he was I sure didnt see it??? I was hopeing the flag would have come out then:cursin:

If someone seen him touched -- down please say so..that play and the punt returne for a TD was the two plays I think could have won the game for us even with all the mistakes..

Also on that goal line where was Dookie at he should have got the carry

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

This team needs to have that jumbo package at the goal line that they actually use. Quit getting so damn cutesy and just bring 2 TE's, Danny Kreider, and let them lead the way to get to the end zone. It's a battle of wills and right now it's clear, if you ask me, that this team needs to use Kreider more than just now and then and the times when they have used him before; they didn't use him today.

Hell yeah preach on brother man FB and power football Steelers style:cope::bigthumb::plus1:

AZSteelerfan
10-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Seriously i dont know why ben was making such bad decisions out there on the field... He would throw into coverage when there were recievers wide open...i could see this all day long from my seat in the dome...he held the ball way to long as he did all last season and he was getting sacked but it doesnt help either when you make a pass and your reciever forgets he is just that and the ball bounces off his arm because he is not paying attention... I hope they pull there heads out of there @$$#$ for week 5 or we could be in for another long season...

AZ_Steeler
10-01-2007, 12:17 PM
The 3 things that haunted the Steelers last year showed their ugly face again on Sunday...

Ben forcing the issue which lead to turnover
Special Teams
The Secondary

Bi Ben was trying to force the ball entirely to much. It seemed everything was throwing was into double coverage. Yes, Hines didn't play but that isn't an excuse because the guys behind him need to be ready when their number is called because that's what they practice for all week and it's the moment the backups all dream about... the star goes down so it's their turn to try and turn some heads but they all failed miserably with the exception of Holmes, he practically carried the team on his shoulders yesterday!

D-Sep is turning out to be just an ordinary, inconsistent punter. His strength is only dropping the ball on the 5 yard line and if you ask him to try and boom the ball deep and high he's inconsistent, plus do anyone else notice how many of those punts were close to being blocked? When he receives the ball he has this little delay just before he kicks it... it's just a little to close for me! On the punt return for the TD... D-sep needs to remember to stay back and be the safety valve to prevent that score. If you watch the replay D-Sep got leveled at midfield when he should have been back to stop that. Granted there are 10 other guys on the field but a better kick from him gives the guys that extra second or two to cover the returner.

I can't really blame the secondary for everything because the line couldn't get to the QB. When that happens the secondary need to be able to slap the ball down or at least apply some better coverage then they were.

It's only their first loss though and maybe it's what they needed... this is the kind of game that will put that bad taste in their mouth for the rest of the year!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I thought DSep played awesome yesterday. He was booming punts left and right greater than 50 yds. The punts being close to being blocked isn't his fault, it's the line not blocking properly. Yes the punter needs to have a quick release when he kicks but I think he's been awesome, he was one of the few bright spots for us yesterday.

The Secondary is depleted with injuries and they still had a decent day considering. The Defense only gave up 2 TD's to that "vaunted kurt warner offense". Our secondary is fine IMO. They do need to get healthy though.

Yes this is something that we can learn from and I think we will.

Mike Tomlin
10-01-2007, 12:51 PM
I couldn't see the game yesterday, from what I saw on nfl network that missed tackle by Davenport was why we loss. I believe we could have played better all around ,but through the injuries and bad play we still could have won that game. Ben threw a pick in the endzone which would have been 7 points, then if Davenport had of just wrapped up instead of trying to strip the ball they wouldn't have scored.

I mean lets be real here , our offensive playbook is the same as last year it's just trimmed down. Sooo...isn't that Whiz's play book? I'm sure it was easy for him to feel what we were running. They have like half of our coaching staff from all those years and a host of players. You don't think that was an advantage, they know these guys. Still with all that we still had chances to win the game which mean we're a pretty damn good team. I knew that if we were to lose a game before the bye this would be it. I guarantee you they'll come back fired up after this loss. I can't wait to see what Tomlin says about the preparation for next week.

steelcurtaingal
10-01-2007, 12:55 PM
No, but it hurts losing to F***in' Arizona and that traitor!:cursin::cursin:
We played like it was 2006 all over again!:banging::banging:

o think kgreen is a little frusterated. I will admit, i was too, but we were almost bound to lose a game or so somewhere. yes, our o-line did horrible, but have they done horrible every game? no.
its not time to give up on us yet (or ever)