PDA

View Full Version : We are a different team without Troy & Hines

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2007, 07:11 PM
It was evident today more than ever, and if there was ever any doubt of how this team rolls that should be erased today. Granted it's hard to overcome situations in the middle of a game when key players go down but still...

The defense is not as potent when Troy is not in the game. They aren't able to get that extra pressure and are more soft in the middle of the field. The cards exploited us in the middle of the field all day long.

The offense misses Ward because they can't spread the field so easily. Holmes is the only real threat other than Heath. Nate and Cedric don't scare anyone and with Spaeth out we were down another weapon as well.

It just goes to show how valuable those 2 players are to us and today we found out that without them we aren't quite the same team.

Koopa
09-30-2007, 07:31 PM
hines doesn't make a difference, it's not like he ever draws double teams and ****, if he played it would've been the same outcome.......... we just over looked this team, they figured they were 3-0 against the worse teams in the league they'd be 4-0 cause they are playing yet another scrub *** team........ someone on this site said before the season this would be a trap game, and it was, this team will say they didn't care about the whole whiz and grimm storyline, but it's obvious that's all they were thinking about............. tomlin did a **** poor job in getting them perpared for the cards.........

Black@Gold Forever32
09-30-2007, 07:34 PM
hines doesn't make a difference, it's not like he ever draws double teams and shiat, if he played it would've been the same outcome.......... we just over looked this team, they figured they were 3-0 against the worse teams in the league they'd be 4-0 cause they are playing yet another scrub *** team........ someone on this site said before the season this would be a trap game, and it was, this team will say they didn't care about the whole whiz and grimm storyline, but it's obvious that's all they were thinking about............. tomlin did a **** poor job in getting them perpared for the cards.........

That would be I who said it was a trap game...I knew it when I saw the schedule.....I was hoping our D would have faired better against the old man Kurt Warner.....But hey credit the Cards they played better and earned the win....They deserved to win the game and the Steelers didn't.....I hope Tomlin gets this team act together quick or they will be staring at 3-2 next week.....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Dude, Hines draws nearly every double team he's out there when the defense is using a coverage like that. He takes the heat off Holmes and the others. Now it's obvious that Santonio is really coming into his own and he played very well today but Hines is still the unquestioned leader of this offense along with Ben. When Ward isn't in there we miss his blocking, his routes, and his talent all over the field.

Having said that, yes the Cards wanted this game bad and they pulled it out. We didn't come together and the injuries affected us, the special teams blew that return, it was just an ugly game that we fell short on.

Koopa
09-30-2007, 07:36 PM
i don't know, holmes had a career day without hines, i think hines just takes balls away from our best wr on the team......... he wouldn't have made a difference though cause we still threw the ball pretty good

it was willie inability to play on the road and the fact that the whole team was more worried about showing up whiz and grimm then actually winning the game that ****ed us over

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Holmes is definitely taking his game to another level, he showed today he can carry the load for us and he's as explosive as they come in the NFL.

Im not saying Ward would have won us the game because the Offensive line was terrible all day long, but atleast we'd have had another weapon out there that could have helped. The OL is the reason we stunk on offense; Ben was running for his life, Willie was gang tackled in the backfield all day long. You can't put this game on him completely but you can put a good bit of it on the OL.

Stlrs4Life
09-30-2007, 07:40 PM
That would be I who said it was a trap game...I knew it when I saw the schedule.....I was hoping our D would have faired better against the old man Kurt Warner.....But hey credit the Cards they played better and earned the win....They deserved to win the game and the Steelers didn't.....I hope Tomlin gets this team act together quick or they will be staring at 3-2 next week.....

Exactly. No more excuses. I knew better to fall for the "We are going to run all over the Cards and pressure the crap out of Leinart and Warner." Some predictions were pretty crazy.

SteelCzar76
09-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Dude, Hines draws nearly every double team he's out there when the defense is using a coverage like that. He takes the heat off Holmes and the others. Now it's obvious that Santonio is really coming into his own and he played very well today but Hines is still the unquestioned leader of this offense along with Ben. When Ward isn't in there we miss his blocking, his routes, and his talent all over the field.

Exactly. And after he and Santo,....the drop off in talent and more importantly productivity at WR for us is considerable to say the least.

But perhaps i'm just missing the genius of drafting another tight end to cater to Ben's "high percentage" throws ? Knock it off,......

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Ben could barely complete any throws today let alone high percentage ones because all he did was pick himself up off the turf today and run for his life. He did make a lot of plays for us today on the run, I don't think many people realized just how nimble he is at escaping pressure but it was just too much today.

Hawk Believer
09-30-2007, 07:50 PM
What is Troy's status?

Black@Gold Forever32
09-30-2007, 07:52 PM
SteelCzar....I understand you never have been a huge Big Ben fan...But hard to fault him for the loss when the Oline didn't run block or pass block at all today....Hey Ben didn't have much time and really ran out of a ton of sacks today.....

I will say this the Steelers need to get some Olineman in here next year and really need to get more talent at the 3rd and 4th WRs.....Both Washington and Wilson didn't step up at all today....

Koopa
09-30-2007, 07:54 PM
SteelCzar....I understand you never have been a huge Big Ben fan...But hard to fault him for the loss when the Oline didn't run block or pass block at all today....Hey Ben didn't have much time and really ran out of a ton of sacks today.....

I will say this the Steelers need to get some Olineman in here next year and really need to get more talent at the 3rd and 4th WRs.....Both Washington and Wilson didn't step up at all today....

yup, next years first 3 picks need to be the best offensive linemen avaliable......just throw the ball to heath and holmes **** the rest of the team :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2007, 07:58 PM

You got that right, we better use our entire first day's group of picks on OL and a backup WR.

BBC
09-30-2007, 08:08 PM
i don't know, holmes had a career day without hines, i think hines just takes balls away from our best wr on the team......... he wouldn't have made a difference though cause we still threw the ball pretty good

it was willie inability to play on the road and the fact that the whole team was more worried about showing up whiz and grimm then actually winning the game that ****ed us over

Hines in there certainly would have made a difference. We wouldn't have had Nate out there failing to catch two huge passes from Ben, or Cedric failing to realize how a back shoulder throw works. Those two were pathetic, and if Ward was in, they'd have seen a lot less time on the field.

The biggest problem was without a doubt the offensive line though. How many penalties did they have against them? Willie couldn't find anything even close to a hole, and Ben was running for his life the entire day.

SteelCzar76
09-30-2007, 08:31 PM

Make no mistake BlackNGold i'm in agreement with you and Top Gun in terms of the O-lines meltdown today. But as i said before,...i contribute a great deal of their failings today to be a matter of the Cards knowledge and or insight into not only our 'scheme' and tendencies,...but also the knowledge of the mental and physical shortcomings of our personnel as a product of Whiz and especially "fat boy" Grimm. LOL

What puzzles me is that in light of what one would think was obvious awareness of as much by our staff,.....that we did attempt not 'compensate' accordingly ? Or could it just be a matter that no 'game plan' they came up with would have made a difference,...because at the end of the day,....our roster "is what it is" ?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2007, 08:37 PM
The offense is what it is, we have enough talent to play with anyone in the league. Today was just a day that we couldn't get anything going. The Cards clearly chose to bring the blitz on almost every single play today and that completely shut everything down because our WR's couldn't work with Ben to slow down the pass rush by completing the hot routes and bailing him out. With the exception of Holmes nobody else showed up on offense except for Heath.

The Cards players and coaches had an insight to our team we knew that but still, the players have to play and tonight the Cards just played better. We have much to work on but this team has the weapons to be effective but sometimes it just doesn't happen. Every team goes through it but we can't tank the season or say how much we suck and can't win because we lost tonight.

okiesteeler
09-30-2007, 08:39 PM
As for Hines not making a difference, his blocking downfield would have made a difference and helped us spring some more big plays and that would have equaled more points and more than likely a win, Alan Faneca, should be able to see why he was not given a bunch of dollars before the season, he sucked and allowed Ben to get sacked and willie tackled in the backfield. Screw him, we need to replace his fat non talent whining ***.

steelcurtain09
09-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Hines definitely makes a diffwerence for us. Apart from the fact that he often draws double teams. He is the key to our running game. FWP has to have Ward or he won't succeed. The reason he is the key is because of FWP's ability to run around the outside. With Ward out there blocking, he gives Willie the time to get around the linebacker or safety being blocked, turn it up field and burn the defense for another 10 yards.

On the other side of the ball with Troy the defense just wasnt the same after he came out. A few of Warner's and Leinart's passes wouldn't have even been considered much less attempted and completed. The whole Cardinal's offense was afraid of Troy the first half and we all know that they had a collective sigh of relief when they saw him sitting on the sideline.

black an gold 4 life
10-01-2007, 01:24 AM
dude 2 day we missed hines BLOCKING AN HIS SURE HANDS we also miss spaeth n the redzone,but no excuses pittsburgh should've ran more no huddle every time they run it they score, i thought tomlin would make the neccesary adjustments 2 the game as it went along, 2 day reminded me of the COWARD ERROR (ERA) but it's behind me an i hope pittsburgh put it behind them, an get these people back an healthy 4 the seahawks game

Dako
10-01-2007, 07:54 AM
If hines was in, I seriously doubt there would have been that stretch of 7 consecutive incomplete passes. I think Ward may have been a little helpful at 1st and goal at the 4, too.

blkngldbabe
10-01-2007, 09:45 AM
http://lp.typepad.com/lopsided/images/chicken_little.jpg

Wow..some people need to back away from the ledge. It sucks but try to keep positive. We are 3-1 in the division lead. Yes we lost to a team who obviously wanted it more and played with a ton of heart. Losing Troy B-mac and Big Snack is never a good thing either. Every team does have injury issues at one point or another but hey...I'm sure this will be a building block to hammer home Tomlins philosophy.

DIESELMAN
10-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Just goes to show what Wilson and Nate are made of, they both knew with Ward not in their they would have to step up their game....they failed miserably. Wilson running the wrong routes. Nate not catching what he should be catching, hell even Ben and Willie weren't on the same page, missed and muffed handoffs....We played scared.