SteelersfaninPhilly
09-29-2007, 10:09 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07271/821214-66.stm

Okobi: 'Ridiculous' he got cut
Arizona center believes he should still be Steeler
Friday, September 28, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
Former Steelers center Chukky Okobi said that he would be on the team's 53-man roster if Bill Cowher were still the coach.

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Former center Chukky Okobi said it is "ridiculous" he wasn't included on the Steelers' 53-man roster and that he would have made the team if Bill Cowher were still the head coach.

Okobi also said he didn't think there was a fair competition for the starting center position, saying it was predetermined Sean Mahan would replace retired Jeff Hartings when Mahan was signed in free agency.

Nonetheless, he said he has no animosity toward his former team or coach Mike Tomlin and understands why the decision was made to cut him after six years.

"To think I wasn't good enough to be on that team is ridiculous," said Okobi, a backup center with the Arizona Cardinals, where he has been reunited with head coach Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm. "But I know how this business works. I've been in this league a long time. Part of it is money, and they're doing what they feel they need to do. It's their team now. It's not Bill Cowher's team."

Okobi was signed by the Cardinals when starting center Al Johnson injured his knee in the season-opening loss in San Francisco. Johnson, though, participated in a full practice yesterday and likely will start against the Steelers.

Arizona probably will be without rookie right tackle Levi Brown (ankle), their No. 1 draft choice from Penn State. Brown practiced on only a limited basis yesterday.

Okobi, a fifth-round choice in 2001, had three years remaining on a contract that was scheduled to pay him $2 million annually. But he and second-year center Marvin Phillip were cut in favor of rookie free agent Darnell Stapleton, even though Okobi came to training camp as the starter.

"I really don't feel it was a competition; I feel it was predetermined," Okobi said. "Sean is more than capable. I got nothing against him. It's that he doesn't deserve to be the starter. It just is what it is.

"If Bill was still there, I'd still be there. I will say this, if Bill Cowher, in the 15 years he's been in league, believed I was the guy, that has to count for something because he obviously knew what he was doing."
First published on September 28, 2007 at 12:00 am

Dee Mca
09-29-2007, 10:24 AM
I just have 1 thing to say about that. Can someone give him some cheese to go with all that whine. He even states Mahan is better. Why would a team pay a backup 2 mill a year to ride the pine. Esp seeing how he still had 3 years remaining. Just my opinion thou.

jtsteeler
09-29-2007, 10:39 AM
:crying:

BBG7
09-29-2007, 10:41 AM
"I really don't feel it was a competition; I feel it was predetermined," Okobi said. "Sean is more than capable. I got nothing against him. It's that he doesn't deserve to be the starter. It just is what it is.

what???? I was suprised at first when the Steelers cut him, but come on. He costs a lot of money to sit on the bench.

And he says Sean is more capable, but doesn't deserve to start. That makes no sense.

okiesteeler
09-29-2007, 12:03 PM
If Bill was still the coach, we would be 1-2 on the season. So goodbye Cowher, thanks for the memories and Chukki you can stay in Arizonia and whine with your bodies Grim and Wiz

AZ_Steeler
09-29-2007, 12:20 PM
:crying: What a big baby... he needs to get over it he was beat out of his job and it was his to lose. He has nobody to blame but himself!

MDSteel15
09-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I hate when millionaires cry like babies for doing something they love! But I think what fat boy Chukki is saying is that he thinks it was his turn in the rotation to be the starter.....AND??? You didn't prove that you were the starter! That's why Mahan was brought in, because you slacked! Good luck in AZ, I hope you figure it out. :tt02::nono::cope::banana::tt02::cabbagepatch: :nahnah: :tt02::towel::cope:
:gs::woodson:

Prosdo
09-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Wow, I like Okobi and all, but could he be whining anymore? You lost your starting job and now your playing AZ. You know when Joey Porter was released he didn't cry and said he would always be a Steeler. Chukky is whining like crazy. Get over it.

okiesteeler
09-29-2007, 02:50 PM
I am getting sick of all the whining coming from the OL. With Chukki and Alan both taking part in it, wonder what Alan's comment will be on this incident, or if he has learned and will keep his mouth closed

StlersGuy
09-29-2007, 04:07 PM
cry me a river

black an gold 4 life
09-29-2007, 10:21 PM
I NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY OKOBI WASN'T THE STARTER BUT NOW I C WHY, MEMO 2 OKOBI U DON'T JUST WALK N AN GET THE JOB,TRAINING CAMP MEANS THERE'S GONNA B COMPETITION MIKE TOMLIN HAD AN OPEN CAMP AN U DIDN'T WIN STOP CRYING LIKE AN LITTLE GIRL

MDSteel15
09-29-2007, 11:57 PM
I am getting sick of all the whining coming from the OL. With Chukki and Alan both taking part in it, wonder what Alan's comment will be on this incident, or if he has learned and will keep his mouth closed

I heard that Alan went on the radio recently and appologized to all Steeler fans, his fans, AND especially the Steeler organization for his outburst at the beginning of the season! Said in fact that he wanted to be a Stiller 4 Life!!!! Can anyone comment on this since I obviously don't live inthe Burgh..... :banana::banana::banana: