PDA

View Full Version : It's time to see what our WR's can do

BlitzburghRockCity
09-29-2007, 05:48 AM
Our WR's normally have the benefit of a healthy Hines Ward on the field to help take the heat off of them with the double team coverage and such. Now Holmes, and his supporting cast will be in the spotlight and called upon to be "the men" this sunday in Arizona.

Santonio will be getting the bulk of the looks in coverage so it'll will be important for him to be able to get open and make plays for Ben. Nate and Cedric will also have to step up; and I believe they can. They've both made this squad for a number of years now and times like this is where they can really earn their paycheck and show us what they got. We all know Cedric is a speed demon and can be a solid player for us. Nate has shown flashes of Hines Ward type plays; only to follow them up with flashes of Dwight "hands of" Stone too so he needs to be a consistent threat for us and hold onto everything that comes his way.

I look for the TE's to be a big factor in this game too. Whiz isn't stupid, he's seen the tape of the damage our TE's have done in the red zone but also between the 20's so you can bet he'll be trying to come up with something to combat them. The problem is, you can't double everybody and we've got enough play makers on offense now that the odds are in our favor the majority of the time to be able to move the ball efficiently if we play the way we're capable.

I'm excited to see what our guys can do !

SteelerSal
09-29-2007, 10:02 AM
I look for the TE's to be a big factor in this game too.

You got that right. I wish Spaeth was playing and I think we will see alot of action from Willie and Davenport in the passing game.
I can see Miller getting at least 6 reception and a td tommorrow.
The Cards have a weak run defense so I feel that there should be no problem getting over 200 yds on the ground between Willie and Davenport.:bigthumb:

SteelersfaninPhilly
09-29-2007, 10:05 AM
I would expect a regular dose of parker and davenport. I would expect them to use Miller more too. While you have to respect Holmes. Watch for the Cards to double cover him. Or at least I would. Cause your not striking fear into any single LB, CB, S in this league. When you lineup Wilson or Washington in Three WR sets. Not to mention you probably dress a underachieving and unproven Willie Reid this week.

Dee Mca
09-29-2007, 10:19 AM
How about lining Miller up as 3rd wideout and leaving tuman in to block. He has proven he can catch down the field. A 6-5 target running down middle of field would be nice for ben esp since he'd probably be covered by a lb. Anyways with mahan being hurt. Ben might need the extra pass blockers. With tuman being the better blocker. He'd see more action than usually anyways.

GoBenGo
09-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Our recievers should have a big day against a soft Card secondary. If everyone manages their game, and plays within themself, Steelers win comfortably.
It only takes a small miscue, or loss off concentration, to swing an upset.
I do not think our guys are that naive.

K Train
09-29-2007, 10:54 AM
i think washington is a player that gets better the longer he is on the field, and i think that bitch *** mother****er wilson might see some catches....but look for holmes to have his breakout day

BlitzburghRockCity
09-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Our recievers should have a big day against a soft Card secondary. If everyone manages their game, and plays within themself, Steelers win comfortably.
It only takes a small miscue, or loss off concentration, to swing an upset.
I do not think our guys are that naive.

2 years ago I would have said that yes we are that naive because we proved time after time that we overlook opponents and play down to our competition but so far this year we seem focused on each game and each team and that's what we need.

AZ_Steeler
09-29-2007, 12:21 PM
TE's have already been a big part of this offense... the only way they could be utilized more is to completely forget about the WR's and not throw them one pass. The TE's account for what... 4 of Bens 6 TD's :dunno:

okiesteeler
09-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Well since it is against the cards, i think we will be ok, if it was against an NFL team I might be a little more worried

GoBenGo
09-29-2007, 01:45 PM
2 years ago I would have said that yes we are that naive because we proved time after time that we overlook opponents and play down to our competition but so far this year we seem focused on each game and each team and that's what we need.:yesnod:
Right On!
It would kill me when we'd eke out a 3 or 4 point win over meaningless teams in meaningful games or worse yet, lose), then play at or above expectations against meaningful teams in meaningless games.
...see what I mean:scratch:
This year we've rolled it up on the weak. I like MT's "go for the kill" mentality!

...and if I see us in ONE prevent defense this year...:cursin:
I will not miss that Cowher trait.

Prosdo
09-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Tomorrow is going to be interesting. I think it's going to give us a bit of a view of the future of the Steelers WR's when Ward retires. I think Santonio and Heath will see a lot of passes tomorrow.

BB2W
09-29-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm interested to see what the wide receivers are capable of minus Ward.

We might miss his blocking more than anything... hopefully he has been rubbing off on the others. It is his heart and determination that makes him such a great blocker.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-29-2007, 02:24 PM
I agree Top, its time for the other WRs to step up and really show what they can do....Especially with Hines out.....But also you know Whisenhunt wants to try and stop Willie Parker and the Steelers run game first....I would come out tomorrow if I was Tomlin/Arians with guns a blaz'in and let Ben have a big day....I don't think the Cards secondary can hang with the speed the Steelers WRs have.......

I really look for Heath Miller and Santonio Holmes to have big day tomorrow and Nate to have a really good game in the place of Ward.....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-29-2007, 03:27 PM
I don't think the Card defense on a normal day has enough depth on the field at any given time to stop all of our weapons so on paper we should win this game. Having said that; that's why they play the game and you know the whole team will be torqued up to play us and get a win for Whiz against his former employer so it's important for us to jump on them early like you said and get in their heads from the start that we're here to take over Arizona !

Stlrs4Life
09-29-2007, 06:25 PM
All good points TG. But believe we miss Ward the most to our run gane, he is a heck of a blocker clearing out CBs for Willie. But, believe Holmes has been learning from Hines.

JB 67
09-29-2007, 07:42 PM
I think we'll be able to pound the ball down the Cards throats that should open up everything else :cope:

SteelerNation
09-29-2007, 09:52 PM
and i think that bitch *** mother****er wilson might see some catches....

:lol: have you ever conciderd therphy?

black an gold 4 life
09-29-2007, 10:26 PM
IF BEN PUT THE BALL ON THE MONEY WE WILL B ALLRIGHT WE HAVE HAD THE TALENT 4 A WHILE WE JUST HAVE 2 PUT IT ALL 2GETHER ,THE OFFENSE IS DUE 2 HAVE AN BREAK OUT GAME AND I THINK THIS WILL B IT GO STEELERS

K Train
09-29-2007, 10:29 PM
dont worry about the blocking, ALL of our recievers are good blockers....ALL OF THEM (except wilson cause hes a little ****ing bitch) but Homles is a hell of a blocker and Nate is a good blocker as well.....he played special teams alot so that helped him, but to be on the field as a steeler WR you have to be willing to block all the time and they do

steelcitysfinestXL
09-29-2007, 10:38 PM
but to be on the field as a steeler WR you have to be willing to block all the time and they do

:plus1: Couldnt of said it better myself K!!!! i look for them to dress Reid (hopefully) and we should see a big day from Ben. He has shown exceptional field vision this year, not locking on to one reciever. All of his games he has spread the ball around and found the open men and against this D i see no reason he cant have a phenominal game!!! I think we will see 150+ out of willie and hopefully a couple TDS. I think we will break this game open in the 3rd and start T-ing of on Kurt or "Matty"!!!!