PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Defense's goal: Keep James under 100

BlitzburghRockCity
09-27-2007, 07:12 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07270/820884-66.stm

The Steelers' defense Sunday meets the most recent runner to gain 100 yards on them, and they're betting it will not happen again.

Edgerrin James ran 29 times for 124 yards against the Steelers when he was with the Colts Nov. 28, 2005, in Indianapolis.

They have played 28 games since then, including playoffs, without giving up another. Sunday, James will line up with the Arizona Cardinals and try it again. He is the only runner to gain 100 yards against the Steelers in the past 53 games.

Linebacker Larry Foote does not like James' chances.

"How many in a row, 28?" Foote asked. "If I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on it."

Foote said the Steelers played a lot of dime defense against the no-huddle Colts that day.

"It wasn't our true defense. We were running a lot of zone, and it was a cheap 100. But he got it. He is one of the best backs. He broke a lot of tackles that game. We definitely have our eye on him because we know what he can do."

Injury updates

Wide receiver Hines Ward said he's trying to get himself ready to play Sunday, but he's not sure he can. Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday Ward is doubtful with a right knee sprain.

"Today it feels better, tomorrow I'll do some exercise," said Ward, who watched practice. "I'm rehabbing 24/7, I'm trying to do all I can. I don't like to miss ballgames, you guys know that. I'll work my tail off, and we'll see. It's just a day-to-day injury now."

Center Sean Mahan, who also has a right knee sprain, did not practice yesterday. Tomlin said Mahan is more likely to play than Ward.

Rookie tight end Matt Spaeth, who missed the game Sunday with a deep thigh bruise, did not practice.

Cornerback Ricardo Colclough, who has not dressed for the first three games, went through a limited practice with a back injury of some sort.

The Cardinals list three injured players as not practicing yesterday: WR Anquan Boldin (hip), OT Levi Brown (ankle) and C Al Johnson (knee).

Rossum makes history

Allen Rossum became the first player in NFL history to have a kickoff return for a touchdown with four teams when he scored from 98 yards against the San Francisco 49ers Sunday. He also ran back kickoffs for scores with Philadelphia, Green Bay and Atlanta.

Ahead of the game

The Steelers did not achieve their third win last season until the ninth game.

"There's no question it's a great feeling to start the year off 3-0 rather than 0-3," Ward said. "Especially after last year, considering that last year was a disappointment, coming off the Super Bowl year and not making the playoffs.

"Coming back, a lot of players are hungry. We're playing with something to prove. A lot of people counted us out, a lot of publications didn't have us listed as one of the teams. We kind of flew under the radar."

James is a talented guy, he's still some gas in the tank so don't count him out or overlook him by any stretch. We need to take control right from the start, get in the backfield and stuff the line at the point of attack and take him out of the game. If he gets going it could be a long night so it's important to get after Warner or Leinart and make them nervous too. If we can keep them off balance we'll be fine.

ARKIESTEEL
09-27-2007, 08:22 AM
If they got two guys on their O-line hurt James will have a tuff day.....If we get them behind quickly "Whiz" will go to the pass game and forget the run either way James will not have a big day on us....THe Cards aint the Colts

DIESELMAN
09-27-2007, 10:29 AM
The way our D has been playing, James will have a long day in the backfield.

BBG7
09-27-2007, 10:59 AM
I have faith our D will stop James. Like Foote said, they weren't playing a normal defense, and that was still when the leash was on LeBeau. He only ran for 56 yards on 13 carries in the playoffs that same year when we were playing a more typical Steelers D. Our guys take pride in stopping the run and I see it being a long day for James.

NOVA STEELERS
09-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I see james having a gore type game somewhere in the 40 - 60 yards on 20 carries seems about right........

manofsteel
09-27-2007, 12:46 PM
hE GETS NOTHING WE OWN THE RUN

AZ_Steeler
09-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Even though James is now with the Cardinals, the Steelers D have some unfinished business with James. Dating back to November of 2005, James was the last guy to gain 100 yards against the Steelers D! I'm sure most of the guys on the Steelers side of the ball remember that game quite well, so they will want to stop James in his tracks every time he touches the ball!

memphissteelergirl
09-27-2007, 12:55 PM
I say Edge gets maybe at the most 60 yds.

I think this will be a game we win by contolling the ball and the clock-keep the Cards' offense off the field as long as possible. Long sustained drives...that's key. :imho:

GoBenGo
09-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Keep James between the tackles , and not let him outside. Linemen and Linebackers hittin him at and behind the line. I have not believed in James since he left Peytonapolis. Had him on my FF squad last year:banging:
:nono:I don't believe Cards line can roll with our boys. :bigthumb:Keep james active by making him pick up blitzers flying towards Kittenhart, keep him from being dangerous on dump off swing passes.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
:scratch:Ok, who the eff voted for big night?:scratch:
:lol::eyecrazy::lol::eyecrazy::lol::eyecrazy::lol: :eyecrazy::lol:

BBG7
09-27-2007, 01:50 PM
:scratch:Ok, who the eff voted for big night?:scratch:
:lol::eyecrazy::lol::eyecrazy::lol::eyecrazy::lol: :eyecrazy::lol:

I don't think anyone...it says 0 votes

K Train
09-27-2007, 03:09 PM
james sucks first of all, second.....we own the run game no matter who it is.

i dont think the goal should be to keep him under 100, the goal should be not giving them any points....the 100 yard thing is just a nice little stat

JB 67
09-27-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't even think James is a factor ..I just hope we pound these guys I wan't the Hawks Bad :cope:

K Train
09-27-2007, 04:17 PM
boldin had a hell of a game last week....warner LOVES throwing to boldin

AZ_Steeler
09-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Boldin is listed as Day-to-Day... something is wrong with his hip!

Stlrs4Life
09-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Well, James is tough, and I really believe that we keep him under 100, but, I do not like predictions.

black an gold 4 life
09-27-2007, 06:54 PM
THIS IS WHAT'S GOING 2 HAPPEN THE STEELERS WILL CONTROL THE CLOCK WE WILL B UP BY 21 BY HALF TIME AN THE CARDS WILL HAVE 2 THROW THE WHOLE SECOND HALVE SO JAMES GET MAYBE 50 YARDS.

SteelerSteve
09-27-2007, 07:48 PM
To be honest, I dont care to much, giving up 100 yards would suck, but the important thing is winnig the game. They dont have the worlds greatest line either so I wouldn't worry about it, worry more about shutting down boldin and fitzgerald:2cents:

Stlrs4Life
09-27-2007, 10:26 PM
To be honest, I dont care to much, giving up 100 yards would suck, but the important thing is winnig the game. They dont have the worlds greatest line either so I wouldn't worry about it, worry more about shutting down boldin and fitzgerald:2cents:

:plus1:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Keeping him under 100 yds will really go a long way to us making them 1 dimensional which will allow us to pin our ears back and come after the QB. James will get some yards Im sure, but their OL needs help and hopefully our front 7 can take over from the start.

K Train
09-28-2007, 12:09 AM
whiz is facing the harsh reality now that Dick lebeau knows his sorry gameplanning and is gonna unleash the boys on him....deep down he has to know that if hes gonna win this game it wont be on the ground lol

BlitzburghNation
09-28-2007, 01:12 AM
If there's any way they can beat us,,,,,,,,,,,It will not be by edge running the ball !!!!!

STEELERS 27
in a kinda close game
CARDINALS 16

K Train
09-28-2007, 01:16 AM
i think we stay as the leagues leader in points allowed.....24-6

rackers has a good day lol