PDA

View Full Version : Stats Say Steelers a Near Lock for Playoffs

SteelersWoman
09-26-2007, 05:12 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2007/09/mike-tomlin-playoff-sure-bet.jpg

If you've been taking a wait and see attitude about the Steelers start, Football Outsiders is saying that it's OK to start dreaming. According to their new playoff odds report (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds.php), the Steelers have a 94.1 percent chance of making the playoffs and more than a 35 percent chance of finishing the regular season as the top seed in the AFC.

To make the report, the programmers ran 5,000 seasons of games, based on each team's current DAVE rating (the rating FO gives teams based on their performance in the first three games combined with their preseason projection). The guys over at FO will admit that a couple of games from now the ratings will be a lot more accurate, but they seem pretty confident in the projections already. And if there projections are accurate in any way, Steelers fans are in for a fun season.

FO projects the Steelers to go 12-4 and even gives them a 1 percent chance of going 16-0, better than the Patriots chances because of the Steelers easier schedule (the AFC North plays the NFC West while the AFC East plays the tougher NFC East).

Now I wouldn't go rush to Vegas to put money down on the Steelers just yet, I still want to see what Pittsburgh does against a top-notch passing offense (something they haven't faced in the first three weeks), but it's hard to not start dreaming about what could be.

AZ_Steeler
09-26-2007, 05:27 PM
:woot: I like their chances... we'll have to check this site out in a couple of weeks and see how the numbers are then! :bigthumb:

SteelerNation
09-26-2007, 05:34 PM
:plus1: great read

BBG7
09-26-2007, 05:43 PM
that's great to hear. I just don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves!!!

StlersGuy
09-26-2007, 05:47 PM
1 game at a time

Stlrs4Life
09-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too early, I'll wait and see how we do after the bye week games.

black an gold 4 life
09-27-2007, 01:34 AM
IF THEY STAY FOCUSED THEY CAN B 12-4 N THE PLAYOFFS LIKE I SAID WAY BACK N O.T.A.'S LOL NAW REALLY I THOUGHT THAT IF THEY CAME 2 PLAY LIKE I KNEW THEY COULD THEY SHOULD B 12-4 AN MIKE TOMLIN WILL B THE 1ST ROOKIE COACH 2 WIN AN SUPERBOWL

DIESELMAN
09-27-2007, 10:35 AM
We're still in Sept, to early to be high fivin and patting ourselves on the back. We've blown out 3 weak teams (which is what we're supposed to do), we still got the North teams to play, who always play us tough (except the shitstains :lol:)

BlackGold4vr
09-27-2007, 11:51 AM
I agree with all of these posts that it is way too early to begin patting ourselves on the back. However I have noted that 2007 Steeler's team is doing what the good teams are supposed to do against lesser teams. They are putting them away! This is something that Cowher led teams were not as good at doing IMO. I can remember many games where Cowhers teams tended to play down to the level of their opponents and give those teams a chance to beat us in the 4th quarter. I believe that I have the answer to why that is not happening with this Tomlin coached team, he hold's them accountable for all of their play from opening whistle to final gun. He calls players out in the film room following the games when they blow assignments even when they win the game. He has successfully conveyed to each and every player that they are competing for their right to play in each game and in each practice. There is no cruise control for starters to rest on their laurels of past performances. With a few exceptions like Ben, Willie, Troy, Faneca and Casey most of the other players have back-ups nipping at their heels. Tomlin has managed to create a healthy competitive environment that encourages players to play and practice hard and compete for playing time. I believe that this is the reason that we don't see this team letting up on the throttle at the end of games when we are way ahead. I like what coach Tomlin has brought to this team! :yesnod:

TEEMONT
09-27-2007, 11:54 AM
3-0 does not = playoffs....

DIESELMAN
09-27-2007, 11:56 AM
I agree with all of these posts that it is way too early to begin patting ourselves on the back. However I have noted that 2007 Steeler's team is doing what the good teams are supposed to do against lesser teams. They are putting them away! This is something that Cowher led teams were not as good at doing IMO. I can remember many games where Cowhers teams tended to play down to the level of their opponents and give those teams a chance to beat us in the 4th quarter. I believe that I have the answer to why that is not happening with this Tomlin coached team, he hold's them accountable for all of their play from opening whistle to final gun. He calls players out in the film room following the games when they blow assignments even when they win the game. He has successfully conveyed to each and every player that they are competing for their right to play in each game and in each practice. There is no cruise control for starters to rest on their laurels of past performances. With a few exceptions like Ben, Willie, Troy, Faneca and Casey most of the other players have back-ups nipping at their heels. Tomlin has managed to create a healthy competitive environment that encourages players to play and practice hard and compete for playing time. I believe that this is the reason that we don't see this team letting up on the throttle at the end of games when we are way ahead. I like what coach Tomlin has brought to this team! :yesnod:

:plus1: Especially the holding players accountable part. Also the killer instinct, where as in the past we've always managed to let another team hang around instead of driving a sledgehammer up against their heads. This year we are letting the rest of the NFL know, that when you play the Pittsburgh Steelers, you will be playing for 60 minutes, so you better bring your A game or stay on the porch. :bigthumb:

BBG7
09-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Again, I like what I'm seeing from our team. But there is a long season ahead of us and anything can happen. We have to take it one week at a time and not look ahead to the playoffs quite yet. 3 games down 13 to go!

manofsteel
09-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I knew we were making playoff before this new poll. They always dog us every year. and then when we do good and everyone else in division dose not look so good than they start kissin arse. Id like to see how we handle Baltimore first though before I really start to think about this.

NOVA STEELERS
09-27-2007, 12:54 PM
I agree with 1 game at a time, we have 2 big games on the road after the bye week, we split or win both of those then I will be looking at the game against the patsies as the true test of where we are

GoBenGo
09-27-2007, 01:18 PM
:plus1: I don't see why not! I believe only the Steelers can keep the Steelers from the SuperBowl!