PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin understands loyalty to former coaches

SteelersWoman
09-26-2007, 02:21 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07269/820507-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Wednesday, September 26, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Veteran Steelers players who complained that neither Russ Grimm nor Ken Whisenhunt was hired to succeed Bill Cowher as coach received hearty approval yesterday.

It came from Mike Tomlin, who landed the job.

"That was a non-issue for me," said Tomlin, who is into his ninth month as Steelers coach. "You expect that. If there wasn't a degree of loyalty among veteran players and the men who coached them, then that would be the sign of an issue or a problem."

Guard Alan Faneca and receiver Hines Ward first expressed their disappointment publicly that neither of the former Steelers offensive coaches was hired. But that has not been an issue for a while, particularly not after Tomlin's team had the fastest start of any Steelers season since Bill Cowher went 3-0 as a rookie coach in 1992.

Tomlin could become the first rookie Steelers coach to win his first four games, and, if he does, it would come at the expense of Whisenhunt, Grimm and their Cardinals Sunday in Arizona.
But the new Steelers coach refuses to be drawn into the passion play involving coaches who might have felt wronged.

"It's really a non-story for me, to be honest with you," Tomlin said. "It's a big game because it's the next game. I'm here, I want to be here, I'm glad to be here. If it is a story at all, it's their story, not ours. We have to prepare to play. It's a big game because the Cardinals are our next opponent."
Tomlin said he does not know Whisenhunt or Grimm and has not talked to them since the Steelers hired him. He expects their meeting on the field Sunday to be professional.

As for where his veterans' loyalties rested, he did not ask.
"When you work in close quarters with men and you make personal sacrifices to compete, those kind of relationships form," Tomlin said. "I had no intentions of trying to break down those relationships.
"I was brought in here to do a job. I focused specifically on the job that I needed to do and I understood that over time that my shared relationships with the players would create similar feelings.

"There's really no way to combat that other than to go about your day-to-day task and understand that, over time, we will have shared experiences. We're three games into shared experiences. That's just part of it, that's human nature, that's people working with people and that's what any business is about, whether it's football or otherwise."

Tomlin is off to a perfect start in his new job and seems to have won over his players. It took them nine games to win their third last season.
"It means just that," Tomlin said. "Fast starts, slow starts. The reality is, we have 16 games and every game stands on its own. Every time we step into a stadium, we have to be prepared to compete to win. It is what it is."

That has become a favorite cliche of the Steelers' new coach -- that and issues being non-issues and stories being non-stories. As he closed his press conference yesterday, Tomlin even laughed at all the questions about coaching against candidates who wanted his job, saying someone must want to "sell newspapers."

Did Steelers management make the right call when it hired Tomlin instead of Grimm or Whisenhunt in January? The team might still be 3-0 with any of them. More and more, though, it looks as though management did not make a wrong decision.

It's why someone asked Tomlin about fans' expectations that the Steelers season stretch into January.
"That's great," he said. "I like it. Keep the standard of expectation high. We aren't going to shy away from that. There is nothing wrong with expectations, particularly high ones. Hopefully we're giving them something to be excited about."

Mike just seems wiser than his years to me.

And I'm sure that all the coaches get their own cliches to be able to deal with reporters :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2007, 06:09 AM
I agree, Tomlin has handled this transition with class and somewhat surprising calm while he keeps things in perspective. He let the players vent and gripe to get it out of their system while all along knowing if he could get this group to buy into his plan; all of that stuff would go away.

At this point I think it's safe to assume ( since we don't have access to the locker room ) that most of the players are fully behind Tomlin and seem to be excited to play for him. We'll see what happens when we lose a game or have some type of controvery on the team because that will be a real good factor of just how much this team believes in Mike as their coach.

Stlrs4Life
09-26-2007, 11:23 AM
I agree, Tomlin has handled this transition with class and somewhat surprising calm while he keeps things in perspective. He let the players vent and gripe to get it out of their system while all along knowing if he could get this group to buy into his plan; all of that stuff would go away.

At this point I think it's safe to assume ( since we don't have access to the locker room ) that most of the players are fully behind Tomlin and seem to be excited to play for him. We'll see what happens when we lose a game or have some type of controvery on the team because that will be a real good factor of just how much this team believes in Mike as their coach.

:plus1:

AZ_Steeler
09-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Best line by Tomlin

"It's really a non-story for me, to be honest with you," Tomlin said. "It's a big game because it's the next game. I'm here, I want to be here, I'm glad to be here. If it is a story at all, it's their story, not ours. We have to prepare to play. It's a big game because the Cardinals are our next opponent."
I've never seen a guy so level headed and down to earth. The one thing he has shown though is he has this team prepared to step on that field every week and can put all the distractions aside.With his attitude and focus he will be around for a long time!

StlersGuy
09-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Tomlin ='s class act all the way around

GoBenGo
09-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Coach Mike is a rock! Totally stable, totally in control. this is the kind of coach that builds great team dynasties from scratch!
AND LOOK AT THE TOYBOX HE STARTS WITH!!!
Sign me up now as a fan for the next 75 years!!
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

BBG7
09-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Tomlin is the right man for this job. The Rooney's made the best choice! Tomlin brings class to this organization and always seems to have a clear head!!!

DIESELMAN
09-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Best line by Tomlin

I've never seen a guy so level headed and down to earth. The one thing he has shown though is he has this team prepared to step on that field every week and can put all the distractions aside.With his attitude and focus he will be around for a long time!

:plus1: I second that statement.

NOVA STEELERS
09-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Tomlin has shown nothing but class since taking over and has fit in better then I could have ever expected or hoped for...........

memphissteelergirl
09-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Coach Mike is a rock! Totally stable, totally in control. this is the kind of coach that builds great team dynasties from scratch!
AND LOOK AT THE TOYBOX HE STARTS WITH!!!
Sign me up now as a fan for the next 75 years!!
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

Hear, here!! :tt02::cope:

I have been nothing but impressed with Coach T so far! The man has obviously prepared himself for this time...and it shows! :bigthumb: