PDA

View Full Version : Too many carries for Willie??

Ambridge
09-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Taking a quick look at the stats and see Willie Parker has 74 carries after 3 games which would put him on an average pace for close to 400 carries for the season.

It's great to see Willie get the ball a lot early in the season but the concern has to be that the Steelers could be giving him too many carries and he will be spent/burned out later in the year when the games take on more importance and hopefully playoff games that could be played.

I was scratching my head this past Sunday wondering why the Steelers still had Willie in the game late against the 49ers even after the game was pretty much in hand??

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Ive wondered this myself alittle bit over the last couple weeks. Najeh has been getting some good touches in the game and I think he'd do well to get more of them. Early on it may just be that they are trying to establish the running game with the feature back and the OL to gel as quickly as possible rather than switching out more often. Tomlin did say he was going to use Willie till he dropped and so far he's lived up to that. It's a tough call because you want your feature guy to do as much damage as he can but at the same time you won't want him to have heavy legs come January. On top of that if you start pulling him more in the regular season and you sacrifice cohevisenss on the OL with the running game and the offense sputters then it wouldn't matter how much he rested because in January we could be sitting at home. It's a catch-22.

The players of yesterday didn't worry about wearing themselves out, they just played and played and played. Granted the season wasn't as long back then though. I think as the season goes on, Najeh will get more carriers but early on it's important to get him going early and often. :2cents:

Stlrs4Life
09-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Very true. Tomlin stated before that he was going to run Willie till the wheels fell off?! I also think Willie has been asking for the carries also.

Dako
09-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Too many carries for Willie? Ridiculous....they said the same thing about Earl Campbell and look what happened to him.....errr...uhh....nevermind....

Time to spread those carries out a bit......

portcityblackandgold
09-25-2007, 10:43 AM
He's got to get in his rhythm, in his zone. Remember he only got a few touches at North Carolina. He shared time with the Bus his first year and he was the feature last year. He's young, he's hungry and he wants the ball. He had three runs Sunday where he was a step away from takin it to the house. His touches will decrease because I'm sure we're gonna see alot of nine in the box defenses, starting this week. At which point it will be the Big Ben Show.:steelersrule:

BBG7
09-25-2007, 10:56 AM
I think these past 3 games have been such blow outs and we have had the success running while we are killing the clock, and wearing down the defenses. I don't think this is going to be the case all year esp. in closer games. We have established that we will put the ball in the air, but why give our offense away until we need too....keep the other teams guessing!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Every RB worth his weight in gold in the NFL will keep asking for the ball. I know Tomlin believes in Willie and wants to use him, hopefully he'll find that happy medium without sacrificing continuity of the offense. You only get 16 games to make a statement and losing even 1 or 2 can severly screw up your chances at the post season so you have to do what you have to do to make your case for the playoffs starting from week 1 and leave no stone unturned and no option un-utilized.

Mike Tomlin
09-25-2007, 12:46 PM
i wouldn't worry about it I think what Tomlin is doing is givin Willie a lot of carries to fool everyone else and keep willi happy. I guess you all forgot about Gary Russell, since he's a bigger back I think we'll see more of him going into the end of the regular season. So when the playoffs arrive we'll have to fresh backs splitting carries plus Dookie.

NOVA STEELERS
09-25-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't believe he is being over worked, would like to see him get some relief when we get up big thou....... other then that thou, feed em the rock.......

AZ_Steeler
09-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Willie is a young guy and can handle the load. I would be a little concerned if he was closer to 30 though just because of the amount of time it takes to bounce back from injuries and even games at that age. The other thing to remember is Willie didn't get very many carries in colleges so he's just getting broke in. He went 4 years with limited work and luckily someone remembered him from high school and took a chance on him... the rest is history! :D

PsychoWard
09-25-2007, 01:49 PM
willie will be find he wants the ball every chance he can get it! plus have you seen the shape this guy is in!!!! If willie is getting over worked i think he will be the fisrt to step up and say he i need a break!

black an gold 4 life
09-25-2007, 02:32 PM
remember that willie barely played n college that's why he was an walk on with the steelers, plus he takes great care of his body, an he doesn't take alot of big nasty hits because u have 2 catch him lol

SteelerFan87
09-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Yeah, at the end of that game against the 9ers I was begging Tomlin to take Willie out. Not just because I want to save his legs for the playoffs (and next year!) but also because I was playing a guy in fantasy football who had Willie. :lol:

I really would like to see more carries for Najeh. I think Willie could lead the league in rushing this year, but I don't want him to fall apart afterwards like Jamal Lewis or Shaun Alexander or Larry Johnson.

Koopa
09-25-2007, 08:18 PM
i don't think so, he's only running the ball around 25 times, those will go down as we keep playing ****** teams cause he won't have to play most 4th quarters.....and hopefully dookie will start becoming a legit back up to take at least 3 carries away from willie

K Train
09-26-2007, 02:47 PM
hes running loose though, its not like hes being asked to pound the ball for 2 yard gains and get beat the **** up on every play. dont worry about him, najeh is doing good and willie/tomlin know the limits

bigj26o
09-26-2007, 03:11 PM
He has been gettin alot of carries, which he can handle though, he is young & had a great off-season work out program to prepare him for that. However, do we want to risk him getting hurt late in a game during meaningless minutes when we are ahead. let najeh or even carey davis come in and get some reps & save wille for the next game.

:helmet: :cope: :tt02: