PDA

View Full Version : My Grades for the Steelers - Week 3

TEEMONT
09-24-2007, 12:19 AM
Since a certain blogger feels we need more of a journalistic approach at this site, I figured I would go the cheap and easy route and try to grade the positions, with reasons why I think they got that grade.

Here goes.

Offense

Quarterbacks - B

Ben is looking like Ben of the Super Bowl year. I know that no one wants to hear this, but he is managing games expertly. He is making the smart throws and making up for the poor pass blocking by escaping the pocket and keeping plays alive. The only reason he doesn't get an A from me is for two reasons: 1] The fumble, which was mostly the lines fault, but Ben needs to cover it up. 2] Only 160 yards, I personally would like to see him avg. about 220 a game, hopefully that is down the line. Overall Ben is looking good though, but he isn't the reason we won today, he is a reason we didn't lose though.

Batch looked awesome on that kneel down at the end.

Running Backs - A

What can you say about Willie that hasn't been said? The man is doing what a lot of people said he couldn't do and continues to rack up 20+ carries a game. He is also playing consistent football. Willie didn't break anything over 23 yards today, and managed to still have 5.5 YPC avg. I would like to see him catch more than one ball, but our backs have never been huge in the reception dept. so I am willing to forgive him in that area. Najeh is proving a lot of people wrong and is looking like a good change of pace back. He has been running hard, although I would still like to see him get lower and churn his legs. His upright running style is very conducive to his body type, but he running hard and breaking tackles. He didn't catch any balls today, which is I love to see him do, because he runs a great screen.

Receivers - B-

Hines got banged up, on back to back plays, but he didn't seem to mind. Most of our receptions were by the TE's, but the fact that these guys were able to come back to the ball for Ben when he was scrambling force me to give them at least a B-.

Tight Ends - A+

What is there to say other than AWESOME!!! Heath Miller led the team in receptions, and Jerame Tuman caught his first TD pass of the season. All in all it was a good day for those of us who have predicting that the Steelers would use the TE more, since we drafted Mark Bruener.

Offensive Line - C

I know some of these guys are banged up and they probably aren't used to playing with each other yet, but their pass protection is hideous. Ben is a QB who likes to see all of his reads, so he holds the ball for an extra second. That is going to hurt any O-line's sack numbers. I see Ben scrambling too much (which isn't always a bad thing, but there are times I get nervous)when there are only 4 rushers. I think these weak D's are good tune-ups, but they need to be ready for the better D's in the league pretty soon.

The run blocking was, once again, terrific. Even with Faneca nursing a hurt shoulder, he is still elite. Colon looked mean, and I saw Marvel throw some nice blocks. Mahan isn't quite the liability that people were making him out to be, he plays a solid game, although he is no Hartings or Dawson. Mahan IMO is probably the best pass blocker of the middle 3.

DEFENSE

Defensive Line - B+

I really think we have one of the nest defensive lines from top to bottom, and Big Hamp is the top. He looked like his normal huge gap-pluggin self today, not much else to say. I had trouble watching the other guys, but I saw Keisel all over the place today, which is always a good thing. I think I actually saw Nick Eason make a tackle today, although it was about 3 yards downfield. Aaron Smith was solid with 5 tackles.

Linebackers - B

Solid, but not spectacular. Harrison is filling in quite nicely for Joey Porter so far, and we got to see another body-slam out of him today, it went nicely with his 4 tackles. The rest of the LB's just played mediocre, I know it's hard to rack up tackles when you are only on the field for something like 57 plays (18 of which were incomplete passes) but I expect more out of this group.

Secondary - B+

Great game. McFadden took one to the house, and they were able to keep Smith from getting into any kind of grove, which I was worried about before the game. This young secondary is is improving every game. Troy played a great game, and Anthony Smith just plays balls out. It's a shame we can't have 3 starting safeties.

Special Teams - A+

Our punter ****in recovered an onsides kick! We took a kick-off back for a TD, and Jeff Reed still hasn't missed. Nuff Said!

Tell me what you guys think...agree or disagree. First time I have ever done anything like this, so anything you think I can do to improve is welcome.

K Train
09-24-2007, 12:28 AM
lol wow, good stuff

you forgot to mention how woodleys sack didnt count cause he was unblocked

TEEMONT
09-24-2007, 12:30 AM
lol wow, good stuff

you forgot to mention how woodleys sack didnt count cause he was unblocked

dude...I thought the same exact thing when it happened...lol. I meant to mention it. I think net week I am going to try and make it a little more sarcastic. I don't feel like I can take a serious approach to anything, and I like to make fun of things.

Koopa
09-24-2007, 12:32 AM
you don't have credentials so you are a BUM!!!!

lol, good read........ i still don't like our redzone offense........jeff reed has all these sort field goals cause of our inability to finish in the redzone, hopefully that will improve

BBG7
09-24-2007, 12:42 AM
lol...when I was watching the game I started laughing when he got that unblocked sack. The first thing that came to my mind was good old FC!

I think you did a pretty good break down. You didn't grade the recievers though...and while our TEs took away some of their stats, I think they atleast deserve a grade!

Also, I'm suprised to hear you finally giving Ben some credit. My grade for him would have been a B+. I know he only threw for 160 yrds. but he got the job done. He opened up the passing game enough to let Willie run free. He did give up that fumble early, but he kept his head in the game. The O-Line didn't give him much time, but he made great decisions when pressured, and I beleive once they step up a little, he will be better and throw for the 220 yards you want to see from him.

Oh and I think you need to come up with a better name for your article...something to rival "the Gospel" lol

TEEMONT
09-24-2007, 01:03 AM
lol...when I was watching the game I started laughing when he got that unblocked sack. The first thing that came to my mind was good old FC!

I think you did a pretty good break down. You didn't grade the recievers though...and while our TEs took away some of their stats, I think they atleast deserve a grade!

Also, I'm suprised to hear you finally giving Ben some credit. My grade for him would have been a B+. I know he only threw for 160 yrds. but he got the job done. He opened up the passing game enough to let Willie run free. He did give up that fumble early, but he kept his head in the game. The O-Line didn't give him much time, but he made great decisions when pressured, and I beleive once they step up a little, he will be better and throw for the 220 yards you want to see from him.

Oh and I think you need to come up with a better name for your article...something to rival "the Gospel" lol

****..I totally forgot about the WR's...what a dumbass...next week...lol

K Train
09-24-2007, 01:04 AM
i'll do it

Holmes is a beast......nufced

BBG7
09-24-2007, 01:10 AM
i'll do it

Holmes is a beast......nufced

lol...that's why he's on my wonderful sig!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-24-2007, 01:20 AM
At first I was going to say that perhaps the secondary should get an A but after thinking about the game some more they did allow Alex Smith to throw for over 200 yards and really spread the ball around. Alot of that yardage came in the first half and then sporadically in the 2nd half so there is still room for improvement but they did make some really solid plays and came up with key defenses when they had too.

The LB's were very instrumental in keeping Gore to under 40 rushing yards today but credit also the DL for really clogging the lanes between the tackles. Gore isn't used to seeing all those bodies in front him like we did today.

As Koopa said, our red zone offense is sporatic so we definitely need improvement there. We've got to stop settling for FG's all the time because it's going to bite us in the *** sooner or later.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-24-2007, 01:26 AM
Nice solid read Tee,

Dude I almost **** myself when Woodley got the sack....lol Since I was thinking of FC when it happened....Quick stat from me....Joey Porter only had 2 sacks his rookie year...So Woodley already has the same amount of sacks his rookie year as Joey did his rookie year and only took Woodley three games.........Yea that Woodley kid has no future and will be out of the NFL by 2011....lol But it was unblocked so he sucks....lol

I also didn't have to look that stat up for Joey Porter and provide a link to back me up...lol

K Train
09-24-2007, 01:30 AM
our redzone wasnt great today because we didnt have our TD machine lol

Stlrs4Life
09-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Agree with all except OL.. I give them a D.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Agree with all except OL.. I give them a D.

I give the Oline an A for their run blocking and an F for their pass blocking...So C would be the grade for me for the Oline...

TEEMONT
09-24-2007, 06:25 PM
I give the Oline an A for their run blocking and an F for their pass blocking...So C would be the grade for me for the Oline...

thats what I was thinking too.

strong D
09-24-2007, 06:58 PM
good read tee and as soon as woodley got that sack i just started laughing cause thats the first thing i thought of also

black an gold 4 life
09-25-2007, 03:14 AM
OVER ALL WE WERE SOLID THE TOUCH DOWN GOT ME HOT BUT HEY WE SCORE 97 WHILE ONLY GIVING UP 26, SO MY OVER ALL GRADE 4 THE THREE GAMES WE PLAYED A+

NOVA STEELERS
09-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Very solid grades, will need to tighten em up when we get towards the meat of the schedule.........

Prosdo
09-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Good job Teemont!