PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on week 3

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Our offense was sputtering at times today in both the running and passing game. It wasn't an easy win by any stretch even the score might indicate otherwise but our defense made enough plays and confused Alex Smith enough to make sure they settled for FG's most of the day when they did threaten. It was still anybody's game in the 4th quarter but then the defense took over and Najeh had a TD in the final minute that was that !

DSep had a big day with not only the 2 punts but also recovering that onside kick to ice the game in the 4th quarter.

Ben had a great day stat wise but was under way too much pressure for my liking. The OL was hampered with Mahan having the knee tweak but he gutted it out and stayed in there which was very important to our OL and their coming together. Ben was on the money most of the time today and really made some clutch throws and showed a lot of maturity and poise in the pocket. He was able to feel the pressure, move around, and make some critical plays when we needed him too.

Willie had another good day running, but what really impressed me was that he made a lot of good solid runs between the tackles to make the tough yards and keep drives going. Davenport is as solid a backup RB as you'll find and he's getting better each week.

Congrats to Bryant McFadden for his first Interception return for a TD that really put the game away. The defense was getting after Alex Smith all day and Frank Gore was mostly a non factore thanks to gap sound defense, good tackling over all. The did allow some key 3rd downs that kept them on the field mostly in the 1st half where they should have been able to hold them but overall they were there making plays and keeping the 49ers in check all day.

Rossum's kickoff return for a TD was crucial and really got us going in a big way because the 49ers had control on their first drive and had us on our heels for the most part. This dude is one of the best FA pickups we've had in a long time, the way he sees the field and hits the hole, great things will come from this guy as the season goes on.

What a great win, with Najeh scoring the final TD in the last minute to really stick a fork in the 49ers, the team effort in all 3 phases, the Rossum return for a TD to start off the scoring for us and the way the team is working together it's exciting !

Black@Gold Forever32
09-23-2007, 05:44 PM
What I like Top, is the Steelers are 3-0 and the offense hasn't even fired on all cylinders yet...They're still adjusting to Bruce Ariens new offense....How many times did we see an out of sync offense lead to a Steelers slow start under Bill Cowher? To many times...lol My only concern really is the pass protection.....I think its safe to say Big Ben and is back....Plus Fast Willie is an elite RB and getting better inside the tackles...The timing with Ben and the WRs will come....

The defense is great and the special teams are solid....Plus I loved the trade for Rossum when it happened...He has already made up for the 7th round pick we lose in that trade....lol

I'm enjoy the great start and I know this team is better on offense and they will show it in the coming weeks....

BlackGold4vr
09-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Arizona and Ken Wienerhunt are next. They gave the Ratbirds all they could handle today. I see 4-0 in the not too distant future.

:steelersrocksign:

:towelwave:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2007, 05:59 PM
I was worried with Reed kicking FG's and thinking man we cannot let these guys hang around late in the game but we came through in the 4th quarter in a big way to really ice this game. Everytime we had to have a play the offense would make a big 1st down or the defense would make a big stop. Everybody came through on this win. The offense especially is exciting to see them get better every week.

introyitrust
09-23-2007, 06:39 PM
I agree. It's great to see our D and special teams in top form, the Rossum signing has already paid off. The days of praying that the returner doesn't fumble appear to be over.
Our running game is solid and it was good to see Najeh get a score.
I like that we are FINALLY using our TEs in the passing game. Heath had a great game and made a great catch on the play where he didn't keep his feet in. Even though it went in the books as an incompletion it was impressive.
I was surprised that Hines didn't get the ball thrown to him too often and he took some big hits on consecutive plays.
I'm still waiting for by boy Troy too have his first breakout game of the season he has been quiet so far.

Stairwayto7
09-23-2007, 08:31 PM
I`m still a little concerned with our pass blocking.

We still have not played a great QB, but we may get Warner next week.

3-0, its a great cushion, considering we are still learning offensively!

I like what I see so far, and agree with Bradshaw, we should be 5-0 at the BYE

SteelerSteve
09-23-2007, 08:38 PM
first off, the pass protection, though not great, was not that bad. In my opinion we have the best defense in the NFL right now, and when we play arizona next week we should really dominate defensively because I doubt we will see warner or leinart elude to many sacks like Alex Smith did today. I have been happy so far with the offense, though I wouldn't mind seeing ben take a few more shots downfield, but we are winning, and winning impressively and thats all that matters.

PsychoWard
09-23-2007, 09:30 PM
i too like what i see so far but i do agree with cleve i am a little concerned with our pass blocking i think we need to protect ben a little better especially when we face better teams!

our run blocking looks great and thats pretty obvious, willie has over 100 yards in every game thus far and thats a lot more that the so called elite running backs in the nfl can say!

i am very pleased with our defense and special teams!

overall i like the way we look and look forward to the rest of the season!

Go Black and Gold!

Ambridge
09-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Our offense was sputtering at times today in both the running and passing game.

Sputtering is a very good word!!
Week 3 and I'm still not sold on Arians offense. How many weeks of slow starts does Arians get??
Should the Steelers Offense come out slow like that against New England or possibly Baltimore.....it's going to be a long game.
So far the Steelers are the beneficiary of an early weak schedule and in no ways have been tested.

Take away the points from Rossoms KO-return TD, the TD from the INT return and Davenports TD in garbage time and this could be a different game.
The offense only scored 16 points yesterday(not counting Davenport's TD)the same number San Francisco did.

The Steelers shouldn't rely on winning games in this type of fashion because it wont work against the better teams.

floodcitygirl
09-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Week 3 and I'm still not sold on Arians offense. How many weeks of slow starts does Arians get??
Should the Steelers Offense come out slow like that against New England or possibly Baltimore.....it's going to be a long game.
So far the Steelers are the beneficiary of an early weak schedule and in no ways have been tested.

Take away the points from Rossoms KO-return TD, the TD from the INT return and Davenports TD in garbage time and this could be a different game.
The offense only scored 16 points yesterday(not counting Davenport's TD)the same number San Francisco did.

The Steelers shouldn't rely on winning games in this type of fashion because it wont work against the better teams.I agree. The offense is a concern, especially when the schedule gets tougher. And, why is Ben having to scramble so much???

memphissteelergirl
09-24-2007, 11:15 AM
My thoughts..

The Rossum signing is reaping an excellent ROI. That return was AWESOME!!

I can see some improvement in the O-line play, although there were a few breakdowns in protection today...

The D came up big when it had to..

Willie keeps proving himself...I dare say at this rate he could surpass LT as the best back in the league (if he hasn't already).

portcityblackandgold
09-24-2007, 11:27 AM
This team is gathering its confidence. I see a team that will be very competetive and win games the way games have always been won by the Steelers with a stifling defense and a punishing running game. And when teams make the nine in the box mistake, Big Ben will make them pay with a revised passing game that features two tight ends,a punishing possesion receiver, two other receivers with that speed that kills. When the coach is poised the team plays with confidence and poise.

ARKIESTEEL
09-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I dont think this team has played its best football yet..........which could get real scary for the other teams

AZ_Steeler
09-24-2007, 01:07 PM
I think I'm finally starting to relax with Jeff Reed now. Going back to last year I and through pre-season I would have cut him! He wasn't doing his job and wasn't even looking good when he did miss. Something happened though between the end of pre-season and the beginning of the season because he's been awesome again and is leading the NFL with 9 FG's made.

D-Sep may not have the best punting average in the league but you can't deny the fact that 6 of his 9 punts have been downed inside the 20 and of the 6 5 are inside the 10. I will take field position over a 50 yard punting average any day, because it says our offense is moving the ball at least to around midfield.

Yes, the offense sputtered at times but I really am starting to prefer Ben scrambling and trying to make something happen because that is when he looked his best yesterday. When he drops back and throws it the outcome usually sucks! The o-line really needs to **** or get off the pot, as much as I like Ben scrambling around and working his magic it's bound to catch up to him sooner or later.

Overall though, you can't really complain to much about a win especially when it was in dominating fashion again!

:cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Ben is going to continue to have to scramble until the OL really comes together in pass protection. You can find any 5 giant guys on the street to go out and be bulldozers in the running but it takes skills and precision timing to pass block effectively and our guys are still coming together on this. Mahan is a first year starter for us and Center is the anchor of the OL so as he goes, so goes the other 4.

They are getting better and we all knew there would be growing pains but we need to finish off drives in the red zone and stop getting FG's.

AZ_Steeler
09-24-2007, 01:43 PM
How does this look:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7809/untitledom8.jpg

BlitzburghRockCity
09-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Looks pretty darn awesome if you ask me :cope:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-24-2007, 01:46 PM
How does this look:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7809/untitledom8.jpg

Looks awesome....But whats funny is LaMont Jordan and Jamal Lewis being number 2 and 3....But Lewis did have most his yards in one game against the Bengals..:lol:

TEEMONT
09-24-2007, 03:14 PM
And Jordan got most of his against the Browns...lol

portcityblackandgold
09-24-2007, 05:21 PM
I dont think this team has played its best football yet..........which could get real scary for the other teams

You said a mouthful. These Steelers get on the December steamroller and that sixth Lombardi is in the trophy case. :plus1: I dont think the Patriots can win big games without the cheat and this defense brings it pressure up the middle where Brady hates it the most. And without the cheat he has no warning.

BlitzburghNation
09-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Looks awesome....But whats funny is LaMont Jordan and Jamal Lewis being number 2 and 3....But Lewis did have most his yards in one game against the Bengals..:lol:

I was thinking the samething,,,,,,,,,,,:haha:

SteelCzar76
09-24-2007, 09:06 PM

The Steelers shouldn't rely on winning games in this type of fashion because it wont work against the better teams.

Very well said Ambridge. Granted much is said of the 'adjustment period' that must be supposedly endured by the team in regards to Arians' offensive philosophy, i for one cannot lend that idea much credence.

What i mean is as such,..... Arians is not an 'outsider'. And for the most part his style of offense is not very much different than what we've been running in the last few years. (With the exception of maybe more two TE sets and more balance in the sense of run/pass ratio)

I think we are little 'streaky' right now on Offense due to a lack fine tuning and or cohesion along the the O-line. But with this said i'm still impressed with the 'flashes' that i have seen thus far in the passing game. And our ability to move the ball up and down the field as an entire unit.

But what does concern me is a lack of killer instinct and efficiency in terms of redzone scoring. And i'm in agreement with Ambridge here in that such a shortcoming would very well cost us dearly against the elite teams. Two of which, just so happen to be in our conference.

NOVA STEELERS
09-25-2007, 12:54 PM
The O-line definately needs to give ben some more time, no big plays giving up on D, keep up the pressure and continue to pile on the sacks.