PDA

View Full Version : I hate to be the one to say.......

Stairwayto7
09-23-2007, 09:21 AM
But I think its time for Joe Pa, to step down. Enough is enough already. PSU is not the powerhouse it once was. He cannot beat Michigan. Our QB is over rated, the bad thing about that is, we have a awesome receiving corp. And a below average QB. Joe doesn`t call many plays, he really needs to step down, and enjoy his retirement.

I love Joe Pa, and everything he stands for. Penn State is Joe Pa. But I think its over. Just my opinion, anybody else want to chime in?

SteelerSal
09-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Sad to say it but I agree also.

BB2W
09-23-2007, 10:50 AM
I've always had the opinion to let him step down when he wants. The man has givin over 50 years of his life and millions of dollars to the university. It would be wrong to force him out at this point. Having said that... he prolly should have stepped down years ago just because of his age. A man of his age does not need the stress or schedule of being a coach.

I think Joe Pa hurts Penn State in recruiting.... not many "Y generation" athletes are gonna connect and want to play for an 80 year old man. His method of letting upper classmen play and rarely starting freshman has hurt us over the years as well.

Joe Pa is just a figurehead anymore... he doesn't call plays or gamplan. Penn State not being the national powerhouse it once was, us not being able to beat Michigan, and Morrelli playing like crap have little if nothing to do with Joe Pa in my opinion.

I think PSU's fall from the glory of the 80's and early 90's has more to do with them joining the Big Ten than Joe Pa's age. I'm gald they joined the Big Ten but it has had an impact on the football program as far as shedule, style of play, and most importantly it has created more recruiting rivals than just Pitt like in the good old days.

Steelkidd72
09-23-2007, 10:51 AM
:nono:now dont worry PSU right back ina bowl game:tt02:GO STEELERS:cope:

StlersGuy
09-23-2007, 10:53 AM
I will hate to see him go however the time has come

Stairwayto7
09-23-2007, 11:51 AM
:nono:now dont worry PSU right back ina bowl game:tt02:GO STEELERS:cope:

I`m not saying that they won`t be in a bowl. But just any bowl does not count. Hell anyone can make a bowl

kgreen
09-23-2007, 12:21 PM
But I think its time for Joe Pa, to step down. Enough is enough already. PSU is not the powerhouse it once was. He cannot beat Michigan. Our QB is over rated, the bad thing about that is, we have a awesome receiving corp. And a below average QB. Joe doesn`t call many plays, he really needs to step down, and enjoy his retirement.

I love Joe Pa, and everything he stands for. Penn State is Joe Pa. But I think its over. Just my opinion, anybody else want to chime in?

Yeah Joe must go! Along with Galen Hall. We need a Head Coach that is in tune to the new era of Football. That means a OC that is not afraid to OPEN THINGS up. We are way too conservative in big games. Our defense is fine they just go pound and that will happen in the Big Ten, but I mean our offense has to get out of the 80's and if that means getting rid of Joe Pa then fine.

Stairwayto7
09-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Its a shame but I guess its obvious!

TEEMONT
09-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Maybe you guys should pad ur schedule with Pitt....JoePa has lost it.

Dako
09-24-2007, 09:17 AM
When I went to PSU, there was talk of "When will Joepa retire?"....that was 20 years ago......I'm hoping that he decides that this is his last year. That said, with what he has meant to Penn State, he has earned the right to go out when he wants to and on his terms. Hell, he might be cryogenically frozen and continue to coach for another 100 years......

BlitzburghRockCity
09-24-2007, 03:19 PM
I'd hate to be the one to tell JoePA that the university has asked him to step down. Im not sure they'd have the guts to do that considering what he means to that college. I think it's time though as well, he's a legend and nothing will replace that but PSU needs a whole new overhaul to be competitive on a national scale again IMO.

TEEMONT
09-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Dont we hear this every year once PSU loses a game though?

Blitzburgh55
09-24-2007, 05:36 PM
he will die before he retires

Stairwayto7
09-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Dont we hear this every year once PSU loses a game though?

Yes! But when games like Michigan come and go with another loss, its grows on you. We cannot not cotend nationally, we can barely contend in the big Ten. Something has to change. I love Joe Pa. But come on already, another trip to a Giant Eagle Bowl, or the KFC Bowl isn`t even worth watching. Hell even Applachian State beat Mich. When your ranked in the top 10 in the nation, you at least have to give teams like Mich a game. We looked pathetic!

NOVA STEELERS
09-25-2007, 11:28 AM
His days are definately coming to an end, but imo he should go out on his terms, he has done alot for the university and community and feel he still has a connection with the team

BB2W
09-29-2007, 12:46 PM
I suppose Illinois kicking or butts is Joe Pa's fault... he really should have made the tackle in that kick return for a TD. :rolleyes:

Joe Pa is a statue... I would put blame his staff and the players before him.

Penn State's fall to mediocrity is linked to them joining the Big Ten... not because Joe Pa has had a negative impact on the football program for the last fifteen years.

okiesteeler
09-29-2007, 12:50 PM
JoePa is a great coach and a legend, I would hate to see Penn State (who I personally cant stand) do to him like the Dallas Cowgirls did to Landry. Let him go out on his own terms

BB2W
09-29-2007, 01:48 PM
Yeah Joe must go! Along with Galen Hall. We need a Head Coach that is in tune to the new era of Football. That means a OC that is not afraid to OPEN THINGS up. We are way too conservative in big games. Our defense is fine they just go pound and that will happen in the Big Ten, but I mean our offense has to get out of the 80's and if that means getting rid of Joe Pa then fine.This is a good point. Our offense is very elementary and conservitive.

Galen Hall was brought in to change the offense to a more Big Ten friendly attack. We went to the spread and a zone blocking scheme to compete. Purdue was the first to do it years ago, and they were followed by much of the conference. We have the talent, but are still way to conservitive.

SteelCityMan786
09-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Joe Pa doesn't need to go. It's Galen Hall that needs to go.

Stairwayto7
10-01-2007, 05:43 AM
I suppose Illinois kicking or butts is Joe Pa's fault... he really should have made the tackle in that kick return for a TD. :rolleyes:

Joe Pa is a statue... I would put blame his staff and the players before him.

Penn State's fall to mediocrity is linked to them joining the Big Ten... not because Joe Pa has had a negative impact on the football program for the last fifteen years.

I understand your point, but we do need a shot in the arm, and young energtic head coach. Joe Pa is the greatest, I agree. But when your time comes, it comes hard.

WestCoastSteeler
10-01-2007, 07:32 AM
:evilshake: Joe is a living legend. He has contributed more to the school, the team, and that community than most people can ever dream of contributing to anything in their lifetime. (How many people get an ice cream named after them? Lol) Penn State football will be around for a long time; Joe won't. When he's gone, some younger more aggressive coach can step in and reshape the team...until then, Joe has earned the right to leave on his own terms.

steelcurtaingal
10-02-2007, 03:53 PM
:+1: i love this smilie

KSSteelerfan
10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Joe Pa may not know when to get out of the coaching game. Someone will have to gracefully help Joe step down because I don't think that he will not willingly do it on his own. It would be like trying to convince your grandpa to go to the doctor for a checkup when all grandpa will say is that I feel fine why should I have to go to the doctor. I know bad analogy but I think everyone kind of gets the point that I am trying to make.:dunno:

BB2W
10-03-2007, 07:28 PM
I understand your point, but we do need a shot in the arm, and young energtic head coach.I could understand that, but I think Joe Pa's successor is already onboard in defensive coordinator Tom Bradley. He's not all that young, but he is energetic.

Forged in Steel
10-04-2007, 01:46 PM
He's been with Penn State since the start of time!

GoBenGo
11-13-2007, 02:19 PM
It has been time for a couple of years now. I love the guy, but It is time.

BB2W
11-17-2007, 06:51 PM
They just blew a big lead over MSU... :banging:

Down by four... two min left.

:edit: Michigan State won. :(

floodcitygirl
11-17-2007, 07:02 PM
They just blew it! Uggghhhh!!!

BB2W
11-17-2007, 07:33 PM
I know Joe Pa will likely get killed for this loss, but there were two calls that had to go through him that were great.

One was the direct snap to the the kicker Kelly on a 53 yard try when he pooched it and it bounced down and was downed at the one yard line.

The other was late in the game when they faked a feild goal and direct snapped it to Kelly and he ran it in untouched for the touchdown. Great call!

No New Years day bowl for us... :(

Steelerlyn
11-17-2007, 08:17 PM
I only hear great things about JoePa, he is a friend of a previous Michigan State coach George Perles who was also defensive line coach, defensive coordinator and assistant head coach for the Steelers from '71-'81. He speaks very highly of JoePa and feels Joe has earned the right to stay at PSU as long as he wants...

Whodat
11-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Can anyone please tell me how much longer we get to see Jay Paterno take highly recruited QB's and turn them into below average?