PDA

View Full Version : Its A Crime!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-22-2007, 11:50 PM
Why Coach Dick LeBeau hasn't been enshrined in Canton, Ohio yet.......This just boggles my mind.....Prior to entering the coaching ranks, LeBeau produced an outstanding pro career as a player from which he still holds the NFL all-time record of 171 consecutive games played for a cornerback and currently is tied for seventh all-time in the NFL with 62 career interceptions. His 9 INTs led the NFC in 1970 and he also appeared in 3 Pro Bowls....I think his merits alone as a player should get him in...

But the impact he had on the NFL as a defensive coordinator was huge in my mind......He is the architect of the "zone blitz"....Which teams have copied now for many years.....Its just crazy to me after 48 years of NFL service he isn't in the Hall of Fame...He only failed as a HC, and that was with the Bengals when, they were one of the worst teams in all of sports...Hard to blame him for that mess....

I just hope the damn Hall voters wake up and vote The Wizard in were he belongs...He is one of the true great defensiveminds in NFL history and has impacted the game of Pro Football on the defensive side like Bill Walsh did for the offensive side.....

Stlrs4Life
09-22-2007, 11:55 PM
I hear ya B&G, probably will have to wait for him to retire.

K Train
09-22-2007, 11:57 PM
they are definitly waitng until he retires

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2007, 12:02 AM
Coach Lebeau's legacy has long since been set as far as we are concerned. He's a sure fire HOF, no question about it. He revolutionized the game when he played and he sure as shootin revolutionized it while he's been a coach. He's a pure genius without question and his creative mind is second to none in the league. Im sure glad he's on our side.

The best part, he's been reborn so to speak now and he's got more time to make his legacy even more convincing as he leads our defense !

Black@Gold Forever32
09-23-2007, 12:03 AM
But do coaches have to wait 5 years like players do to get in?....Gibbs retired in 1992 the first time and was voted in 1996....Thats not five years...Like I said I think his merits as a player should be enough...lol

He is getting up there and I would just like to see him get in when he is still alive....

K Train
09-23-2007, 12:04 AM
coaches dont have a waiting period at all, but they do have to be retired, why put him in as a player when hes gonna get in as a coach too

Black@Gold Forever32
09-23-2007, 12:06 AM
coaches dont have a waiting period at all, but they do have to be retired, why put him in as a player when hes gonna get in as a coach too

I didn't think coaches had to wait...But that makes sense about being retired...But still they should waive that rule for Coach LeBeau...What if he pulls a Joe Pa and coaches until he is in his 80s.....:lol:

K Train
09-23-2007, 12:14 AM
he'll make the HOF even if hes dead, he might coach until he turns to dust you never know

Black@Gold Forever32
09-23-2007, 12:16 AM
he'll make the HOF even if hes dead, he might coach until he turns to dust you never know

Well I know he can make it if he dies...But I would like to see the man enjoy when he is alive...lol As for turning to dust they do call him the Wizard...:lol:

BlitzburghNation
09-23-2007, 01:15 AM
I think he's a shoe in,,,,,,,,,,,,:bigthumb:

Like everyone else have said "waiting for retirement"

TEEMONT
09-23-2007, 01:18 AM
I think he will make it, but I'm a little biased. His HC career may hurt him though.

K Train
09-23-2007, 01:22 AM
he will make it as a player no doubt, hes 7th in interceptions, he was 2nd (i think) when he retired. his HC carreer sucked but he has a superbowl as a coach now

SteelersfaninPhilly
09-23-2007, 11:32 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07250/815372-87.stm

That's why several Steelers dug out those jerseys and wore them to the Hall of Fame game in August to send a message to the Hall voters that LeBeau, who had 62 interceptions as a cornerback, belongs.

You should see the players beaming in those jerseys as they surround LeBeau in a picture that's on the wall next to the training room at the team's South Side headquarters.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-23-2007, 11:33 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07250/815372-87.stm

That's why several Steelers dug out those jerseys and wore them to the Hall of Fame game in August to send a message to the Hall voters that LeBeau, who had 62 interceptions as a cornerback, belongs.

You should see the players beaming in those jerseys as they surround LeBeau in a picture that's on the wall next to the training room at the team's South Side headquarters.

Thanks Philly, thats what I'm yelling LeBeau should be in the Hall already as a player...

SteelersfaninPhilly
09-23-2007, 11:38 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07218/807332-66.stm

A number of Steelers players took it upon themselves to honor one of their own they believe should be given the sport's ultimate tribute. They wore replicas of Dick LeBeau's old No. 44 jersey from his playing days with the Detroit Lions on the bus trip to and from the game yesterday.

They wore them, they said, to bring attention to the fact that they believe strongly their defensive coordinator belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

AZ_Steeler
12-14-2008, 11:49 AM
<link (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08349/935070-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)>

The Pro Football Hall of Fame needs to overhaul how it elects candidates, a process that now keeps men such as Dick LeBeau out.

As it stands, a 44-person board of selectors, in a series of votes by mail, eventually reduces the number of modern-day finalists to 15. A seniors committee, comprised of some of those same 40 selectors, picks two seniors candidates who already have been bypassed during their 25 years of eligibility as modern day candidates. They join the 15 modern day men to form 17 finalists.

The day before the Super Bowl, the board of selectors -- I am one of them -- gathers in a meeting room and elects the new hall class. A minimum of four and a maximum of seven can be elected, and everyone is lumped together.

A player or a coach is eligible five years after he retires; contributors are eligible any time. Anyone can call the Hall of Fame in Canton and nominate someone, modern candidates or seniors -- there normally are more than 100 candidates on our first ballot before we cut the list to 25.

There are flaws, mainly the elections of seniors and contributors. Baseball has separate committees that elect seniors and contributors. Baseball writers vote strictly on players as modern candidates.

The Hall would be better served if they followed suit. An example is that Bob Hayes again is one of the two seniors candidates. Hayes was rejected as a modern-day candidate, then rejected again for the 2004 class as a seniors nominee. Yet five years later, he again is a seniors nominee for the 2009 class and faces rejection again.

So, Bob Hayes is presented twice by the seniors in the past five years while men like LeBeau, Andy Russell and Jack Butler never are presented.

There's also the matter of contributors. There are some great men in this game who have not played. Coaches, owners and commissioners get their due, but legendary personnel men such as Bill Nunn and Art Rooney Jr. should at least have a chance without making a voter decide between them and a player such as Rod Woodson or Bruce Smith.

Then there's LeBeau. When he retired as a player after the 1972 season, he ranked fourth in NFL history with 62 interceptions. Thirty-six years later, he's still tied for seventh. LeBeau was not a safety but a cornerback, where it's tougher to intercept passes. He also started in 171 consecutive games, which remains an NFL record for a cornerback.

That's a Hall of Fame career in its own; he has spent the past 36 seasons building one as an assistant coach. He's the father of the zone-blitz defense that has become prevalent throughout the year.

Combining his playing and coaching career, LeBeau should be a shoo-in. But that's not how it works in the Hall of Fame voting. His accomplishments are considered separately. It's time to change that.
Hashe ever even showed up on a ballot? :scratch:

DIESELMAN
12-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Any fan may nominate any qualified person who has been connected with pro football in any capacity simply by writing to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The only restriction is that a player and coach must have last played or coached at least five seasons before he can be considered.

Pro Football Hall of Fame
2121 George Halas Drive NW
Canton, OH 44708
Fax: (330) 456-8175How about we start a drive to get LeBeau at least nominated into the HOF? We can sticky this thread and have whoever wants LeBeau nominated to say so in a thread. We can get a letter printed up or post it here so we can electronically sign it and then send it to Canton......:thinking:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-14-2008, 12:15 PM
I agree.....I made a thread over a year ago stating it was crime that Coach LeBeau hasn't been made the Hall of Fame yet......

Its A Crime!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why Coach Dick LeBeau hasn't been enshrined in Canton, Ohio yet.......This just boggles my mind.....Prior to entering the coaching ranks, LeBeau produced an outstanding pro career as a player from which he still holds the NFL all-time record of 171 consecutive games played for a cornerback and currently is tied for seventh all-time in the NFL with 62 career interceptions. His 9 INTs led the NFC in 1970 and he also appeared in 3 Pro Bowls....I think his merits alone as a player should get him in...

But the impact he had on the NFL as a defensive coordinator was huge in my mind......He is the architect of the "zone blitz"....Which teams have copied now for many years.....Its just crazy to me after 48 years of NFL service he isn't in the Hall of Fame...He only failed as a HC, and that was with the Bengals when, they were one of the worst teams in all of sports...Hard to blame him for that mess....

I just hope the damn Hall voters wake up and vote The Wizard in were he belongs...He is one of the true great defensiveminds in NFL history and has impacted the game of Pro Football on the defensive side like Bill Walsh did for the offensive side.....

steelers4life66
12-14-2008, 12:28 PM
I hear ya B&G, probably will have to wait for him to retire.
I don't know hes going to retire till hes dead. Hell Joe Piterno's what 85 or something and still wants to coach.:clap:

TampaSteelGirl
12-14-2008, 03:14 PM
I completely agree! This guy is amazing and a legend! It's a shame he has to wait till he retired until he gets any recognized!